G
GuestArchived Topic
A recent recruiting miss
by hawkwing · 4/14/2016
Advertisement
F
FidoHow many Lone Peak players does one team need? ;)
G
GuestFido wrote:
How many Lone Peak players does one team need? ;)
Actually I agree with this. It's better to have a diversity of players from different regions/systems/histories.
F
FidoInteresting that UVU announced the signing the same day that word gets out that our Toolson is transferring. Something tells me that Rose finds someone to use the scholarship on though.
Steven Beo is a 2016-17 preferred walk-on who is not planning on a mission so he could take the scholarship too I suppose. There is 16 guys on the currently roster so I don't think they are hurting for bodies.
Steven Beo is a 2016-17 preferred walk-on who is not planning on a mission so he could take the scholarship too I suppose. There is 16 guys on the currently roster so I don't think they are hurting for bodies.
G
GuestThey definitely aren't hurting and will be able to find someone else, if they want to, but clearly they wanted this Toolson more than they wanted Beo or someone else.
Advertisement
G
GuestI wonder if the Toolson extended family is not very happy with BYU right now.
F
FidoCould it be something related to his medical leave of absence that he took from the team in December?
http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/toolson-leaves-byu-men-s-basketball-team/article_6e36008e-a82e-11e5-965f-ffbfc7416a6b.html
Did he ever rejoin after his issue? Could he blame the coaches or staff for whatever the issue was and that is why he wanted out?
I don't know anything about the kid going to UVU--unless he looked at the projected depth chart and thought he might play more at UVU?
Did he ever rejoin after his issue? Could he blame the coaches or staff for whatever the issue was and that is why he wanted out?
I don't know anything about the kid going to UVU--unless he looked at the projected depth chart and thought he might play more at UVU?
S
SpiffCougDid BYU lose him or pass on him?
G
GuestSpiffCoug wrote:
Did BYU lose him or pass on him?
Word is they lost him, he had an active scholarship offer and was wanted on this team from what I've heard.
I've also heard that there are some hard feelings between the Toolson clan and the coaching staff.
A
ABYUFANhawkwing wrote:https://twitter.com/PostJimmer/status/720703264254271488 https://twitter.com/PostJimmer/status/720703690013872128
How will BYU ever be able to find a 6'4" guy who, according to the picture going along with the announcement, can almost dunk, and, according to the highlights, likes to camp outside and shoot threes? Oh that's right Coach Rose can go the R.B. every night of the week and find about a hundred of them...
Advertisement
B
byufan4everI thought we had a scholarship crunch and with Toolson gone we would now have a scholarship for every returning + incoming players. If we're still recruiting a JC doesn't someone else have to go?
B
BlueKhawkwing wrote:Did BYU lose him or pass on him?
Word is they lost him, he had an active scholarship offer and was wanted on this team from what I've heard.
I've also heard that there are some hard feelings between the Toolson clan and the coaching staff.
Most JC transfers would probably opt for an immediate shot at playing time at the D1 level. It's hard to imagine he'd play ahead of the guards BYU already has.
G
GunkI doubt Rose is loosing any sleep over this "miss."
Of the 16 players on the roster, 10 are post players - Mika, Davis, Kaufusi, Childs, Dastrup, Hartsock, Hamson, Shaw, Aytes, and Pingree. The remaining 6 players are guards - 2 point guards and 4 shooting guards.
We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already. This isn't a miss at all. The poster is just trying to get some more Twitter notoriety.
If I'm not mistaken, Jake Toolson wasn't on the roster; however, he may have still been on scholarship. If he wasn't on scholarship, we're still in a crunch. Should Kaufusi opts to pursue football, I believe that frees up a scholarship.
Of the 16 players on the roster, 10 are post players - Mika, Davis, Kaufusi, Childs, Dastrup, Hartsock, Hamson, Shaw, Aytes, and Pingree. The remaining 6 players are guards - 2 point guards and 4 shooting guards.
We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already. This isn't a miss at all. The poster is just trying to get some more Twitter notoriety.
If I'm not mistaken, Jake Toolson wasn't on the roster; however, he may have still been on scholarship. If he wasn't on scholarship, we're still in a crunch. Should Kaufusi opts to pursue football, I believe that frees up a scholarship.
B
Brayden GreenNot a miss. Childs is probably going to start at the 3 for us. He has talked about trying it, at least. He'd be smart to do it. The NBA is going small at the 4, and Childs has NBA potential, and could fit in as a Draymond Green type player, if he works on his defense and continues working on footwork and stretch 3/4 position techniques (passing, shooting, ball on the court slashing ability).
Dastrup and Mika are our starters, and Davis and Kaufusi and Hamson and Aytes are our primary backups. Childs can play post as well, but he doesn't have an nba future as a down low banger, though he'll have a lot of success against the WCC doing that.
Dastrup and Mika are our starters, and Davis and Kaufusi and Hamson and Aytes are our primary backups. Childs can play post as well, but he doesn't have an nba future as a down low banger, though he'll have a lot of success against the WCC doing that.
K
kjjsonEven if BYU did want Toolson and offered him, I don't blame him for choosing UVU. He played with Haws, Emery, and Mika. Is there a part of him that felt like he should have gone Division 1 straight from High School but didn't get the chance/notoriety because of who else he played with? Does he feel like that could (likely?) happen again and this was his chance to start?
Advertisement
I
imuakahukuWhat I have seen is that Conner was offered walk on and was not offered a scholarship up front.
N
nuk13We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already. This isn't a miss at all. The poster is just trying to get some more Twitter notoriety.
I agree again with you Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a fowl shot.
Perhaps Hartsock could become a good shooting forward.
I don't like losing the Toolsons.
I agree again with you Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a fowl shot.
Perhaps Hartsock could become a good shooting forward.
I don't like losing the Toolsons.
N
nuk13"We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already. This isn't a miss at all."
I agree again with you Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a fowl shot.
Perhaps Hartsock could become a good shooting forward.
I don't like losing the Toolsons.
I agree again with you Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a fowl shot.
Perhaps Hartsock could become a good shooting forward.
I don't like losing the Toolsons.
N
nuk13"We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already."
I agree with you again Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a foul shot. If that goes on this next year, with what may be the best front court we've had for years, we won't have any better team than we had this year.
Perhaps Hartsock could become a good shooting forward.
I don't like losing the Toolsons.
I agree with you again Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a foul shot. If that goes on this next year, with what may be the best front court we've had for years, we won't have any better team than we had this year.
Perhaps Hartsock could become a good shooting forward.
I don't like losing the Toolsons.
E
E-Zone15nuk13 wrote:
"We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already."
I agree with you again Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a foul shot. If that goes on this next year, with what may be the best front court we've had for years, we won't have any better team than we had this year.
Perhaps Hartsock could become a good shooting forward.
I don't like losing the Toolsons.
Jakob Hartsock 6' 8" 205
Zac Seljaas 6' 7" 215
Dalton Nixon 6' 7" 215
Were all recruited as SF that could also play a stretch 4. In Zac's case he was actually listed as a guard on the roster and I have actually heard Coach Rose say he could play the PG much like Kyle has. Zac had more assists in High School (325) than Nick Emery had. Zac can play positions 1 through 4.
Just look at those 3 player's shot selections:
Jakob Hartsock: 24-2 starts, FG 11-42 (26.2%), 3pt 10-36 (27.8%), FT 0-0 (N/A), 29 rebounds, 4 assists
Zac Seljaas: 35-1 start, FG 88-178 (49.4%), 3pt 68-136 (50.0%), FT 23-33 (69.7%), 100 rebounds, 41 assists
Dalton Nixon: 27-2 starts, FG 20-47 (42.6%), 3pt 3-18 (16.7%), FT 13-13 (100%), 45 rebounds, 21 assists
All three would have the majority of their shots as 3's, if not for the fact that Dalton shot so poorly from 3 to start the season he didn't take as many (out of his last 10 shots only 3 were from 3, he missed all 10 shots). Dalton can really shoot the ball, but his freshman year it seems like he was press a little bit to much. But High School (Orem) stats shows he can play:
Dalton Nixon: 1,376 points (111- 3's), 574 rebounds, 106 assists, and 82 steals
Zac Seljaas: 1,704 points (217- 3's), 494 rebounds, 325 assists, and 140 steals
Jakob Hartsock: Can't find any stats total in Oklahoma, through his BYU bio:
Sr- 18.6 points
Jr- 20 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, shooting- FG 49.6%, 3pt 36.6%, FT 78.0%
All three of these players normally played the 4 in High School, because they were one of if not the tallest player on there team. But it does not mean they don't have the skill set to play the 3.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

