Archived Topic

2016 Projected Wins

by scott715 · 4/7/2016

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Thanks for sharing. Would the fan base be ok with 6 wins this season? I think as long as one of the 6 is Utah then it will be ok.
C
Cougarfan87
byufan4ever wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Would the fan base be ok with 6 wins this season? I think as long as one of the 6 is Utah then it will be ok.


It all depends on the circumstances. I think a win over Utah, and one of the other very good teams would help swallow that record a lot. However, I have higher expectations than that. I am thinking 8-4 or better, unless there are multiple injuries to key positions. And the only reason I am at 8-4 is because I know there is always an adjustment when you bring in new schemes that may not currently match the personnel. That almost always results in some losses that should have been wins. I hope this team surprises the heck out of me, though...in a good way.
G
Guest
byufan4ever wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Would the fan base be ok with 6 wins this season? I think as long as one of the 6 is Utah then it will be ok.


6 wins in the preseason will sound a lot more palatable than 6 wins will sound at the end of the year, because you'll have games that could/shoulda/woulda been won, if only coaching decisions, lucky bounces, bad calls, etc. had gone a different way so we'll be looking at 6 wins that should have been 8 and it will be disappointing. It happens every year.
F
frdbtr
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Would the fan base be ok with 6 wins this season? I think as long as one of the 6 is Utah then it will be ok.


It all depends on the circumstances. I think a win over Utah, and one of the other very good teams would help swallow that record a lot. However, I have higher expectations than that. I am thinking 8-4 or better, unless there are multiple injuries to key positions. And the only reason I am at 8-4 is because I know there is always an adjustment when you bring in new schemes that may not currently match the personnel. That almost always results in some losses that should have been wins. I hope this team surprises the heck out of me, though...in a good way.


Expect to be disappointed then.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
frdbtr wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Would the fan base be ok with 6 wins this season? I think as long as one of the 6 is Utah then it will be ok.


It all depends on the circumstances. I think a win over Utah, and one of the other very good teams would help swallow that record a lot. However, I have higher expectations than that. I am thinking 8-4 or better, unless there are multiple injuries to key positions. And the only reason I am at 8-4 is because I know there is always an adjustment when you bring in new schemes that may not currently match the personnel. That almost always results in some losses that should have been wins. I hope this team surprises the heck out of me, though...in a good way.


Expect to be disappointed then.


I won't be disappointed at 6-6. I was okay with 6-6 Bronco's first year, because it was a total rebuild. I expect 8-4, but I wouldn't be totally disappointed at 6-6, as long as I can see the progress and potential that I saw in the 2005 BYU team. We went from not being able to move the ball to much, much better in 2005. I am not sure what to look for as improvement under the new regime, but I will know it when I see it. It may be as simple as playing loose, which allows us not to have complete melt downs against our rival. In general, I concur that there is probably going to be a learning curve with a new offense, new defense, and new coaching staff. I'll hope for better than 6-6, and I wouldn't be surprised by 8-4, but I won't be disappointed with either record.
S
Schmoe
With all the talent and experience this team will have, I will be disappointed if the best we can do is .500
B
BYULV
If taysom stays healthy we win the, all! :)
F
frdbtr
Schmoe wrote:
With all the talent and experience this team will have, I will be disappointed if the best we can do is .500


Talent and experience means nothing if the coaches don't know how to use it. All the rookie coaching we have IMO makes it highly unlikely that they will know how to use it for at least a few weeks. I, personally feel 6-6 could be generous in how many wins this team gets with the schedule we have and the rookie coaching. If Taysom hill is the starter and stays healthy he may be able to cover up coaching mistakes and get us wins that way, which IMO is my biggest hope for a successful season.
A
ABYUFAN
I project us winning 9 games this year... so there
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
I project more wins than Trump gets electoral votes.
S
Schmoe
frdbtr wrote:
With all the talent and experience this team will have, I will be disappointed if the best we can do is .500


Talent and experience means nothing if the coaches don't know how to use it. All the rookie coaching we have IMO makes it highly unlikely that they will know how to use it...


I agree, but I don't know that they get things figured out in just a few weeks. If the talent and experience we have gets squandered (ie-6 wins), I'll be disappointed.
B
Brayden Green
Talent is a very fluid word and concept. There are going to be some growing pains because BRonco and Anae had different expectations for the players they recruited. There has already been a lot of position shifting, which is perfectly fine.



Kalani and staff didn't recuit 98% of these guys, so they will need to plug them in as they can and then recruit their guys in the future.



There is a huge need for speed in the 4-3 defense, and leas of a need for your "Ogletree" builds... solid as a tree, but not mobile. So, expect growing pains, because even if Bronco is handing over "talent" (I think that there is some pushback to be had there, but that is an argument for a different day...) it might not be the right kind.
B
BOID
ABYUFAN wrote:
I project us winning 9 games this year... so there


If the OL and DL stay healthy, and Taysom regains his running prowess and stays healthy, then I would expect 9:3, and entertain hope for more.



Also, BYU will take care of the ball and punk the Utes, even at their field with PAC refs, and even without Taysom. The Uties can never win unless they get at least three short fields or immediate scores off TO's. In Vegas, they would have gone down by 42 to 10, or maybe zero, without the TO's.
S
Schmoe
Brayden Green wrote:
Talent is a very fluid word and concept. There are going to be some growing pains because BRonco and Anae had different expectations for the players they recruited. There has already been a lot of position shifting, which is perfectly fine.



Kalani and staff didn't recuit 98% of these guys, so they will need to plug them in as they can and then recruit their guys in the future.



There is a huge need for speed in the 4-3 defense, and leas of a need for your "Ogletree" builds... solid as a tree, but not mobile. So, expect growing pains, because even if Bronco is handing over "talent" (I think that there is some pushback to be had there, but that is an argument for a different day...) it might not be the right kind.


Many posters have already pointed out that the cupboard is full of talent for the coming year. Switching defenses simply because it's what you want to run, especially if you don't have the personnel, is a coaching blunder (Bronco found that out after a season or two). Run the defense you have the talent for, then recruit the talent you need to run a different one down the line.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Schmoe wrote:
Talent is a very fluid word and concept. There are going to be some growing pains because BRonco and Anae had different expectations for the players they recruited. There has already been a lot of position shifting, which is perfectly fine.



Kalani and staff didn't recuit 98% of these guys, so they will need to plug them in as they can and then recruit their guys in the future.



There is a huge need for speed in the 4-3 defense, and leas of a need for your "Ogletree" builds... solid as a tree, but not mobile. So, expect growing pains, because even if Bronco is handing over "talent" (I think that there is some pushback to be had there, but that is an argument for a different day...) it might not be the right kind.


Many posters have already pointed out that the cupboard is full of talent for the coming year. Switching defenses simply because it's what you want to run, especially if you don't have the personnel, is a coaching blunder (Bronco found that out after a season or two). Run the defense you have the talent for, then recruit the talent you need to run a different one down the line.


Long reply got eaten. The TL;DR version:



The fear isn't in changing schemes. We have always had the talent to run 4-3. We have no problem getting big fatties to plug on the line. The fear is in changing philosophies, from a zone to man. I think it is the right thing to do, but we need more speed to do it. Bronco emphasized position knowledge and mastery over skill and talent and recruited those kind of players, and it seems like Kalani and Tuiaki will be at the complete other end of that spectrum, because of the difference of their philosophies. Bronco and Sitake/Tuiaki could both run the same set of packages and get different results.



Kalani, Ty and Tuiaki are much better at evaluating talent than Bronco, Anae, and __INSERT_FAKE_PROXY_DC_HERE__ ever were. (See: Moving Kaufusi from defensive end to OLB so that he can "Cast Shadows", Ansah wasting away behind Manumaleuna, etc, the tight end disappearing - which is arguably the most NFL traditioned and rich position for the cougars in the last 2 or 3 decades, etc etc).



I trust they will do the best for the players to get them to where they will play. And I agree with their and Ty's evaluation of who BYU is and who we should be. I think that Ty and Kalani have a better understanding of BYU than Bronco and Anae ever did, and that bodes well for us.
G
Guest
I believe the long reply that was eaten was accidentally posted as a report rather than a quote, so it came to me and the moderators as a report on a "problem" post, but it was obviously meant to be a reply to Schmoe's post.
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
I believe the long reply that was eaten was accidentally posted as a report rather than a quote, so it came to me and the moderators as a report on a "problem" post, but it was obviously meant to be a reply to Schmoe's post.


flaws.jpg
F
frdbtr
Brayden Green wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
Talent is a very fluid word and concept. There are going to be some growing pains because BRonco and Anae had different expectations for the players they recruited. There has already been a lot of position shifting, which is perfectly fine.



Kalani and staff didn't recuit 98% of these guys, so they will need to plug them in as they can and then recruit their guys in the future.



There is a huge need for speed in the 4-3 defense, and leas of a need for your "Ogletree" builds... solid as a tree, but not mobile. So, expect growing pains, because even if Bronco is handing over "talent" (I think that there is some pushback to be had there, but that is an argument for a different day...) it might not be the right kind.


Many posters have already pointed out that the cupboard is full of talent for the coming year. Switching defenses simply because it's what you want to run, especially if you don't have the personnel, is a coaching blunder (Bronco found that out after a season or two). Run the defense you have the talent for, then recruit the talent you need to run a different one down the line.


Long reply got eaten. The TL;DR version:



The fear isn't in changing schemes. We have always had the talent to run 4-3. We have no problem getting big fatties to plug on the line. The fear is in changing philosophies, from a zone to man. I think it is the right thing to do, but we need more speed to do it. Bronco emphasized position knowledge and mastery over skill and talent and recruited those kind of players, and it seems like Kalani and Tuiaki will be at the complete other end of that spectrum, because of the difference of their philosophies. Bronco and Sitake/Tuiaki could both run the same set of packages and get different results.



Kalani, Ty and Tuiaki are much better at evaluating talent than Bronco, Anae, and __INSERT_FAKE_PROXY_DC_HERE__ ever were. (See: Moving Kaufusi from defensive end to OLB so that he can "Cast Shadows", Ansah wasting away behind Manumaleuna, etc, the tight end disappearing - which is arguably the most NFL traditioned and rich position for the cougars in the last 2 or 3 decades, etc etc).



I trust they will do the best for the players to get them to where they will play. And I agree with their and Ty's evaluation of who BYU is and who we should be. I think that Ty and Kalani have a better understanding of BYU than Bronco and Anae ever did, and that bodes well for us.


There is absolutely no evidence that this statement is true. 10 years from now we will know, but right now it is an opinion devoid of factual evidence.
S
stuckinbig10country
Y'all have looked at the schedule, right? There is a chance we go into the Toledo game 0-4, with next win not being until November.



I don't see that as likely, but each of the first 4 games are 50/50 at best. I believe the offense will be fine, because Taysom and Tanner are great and I firmly believe Ty will be an amazing college coordinator. I worry about the defense a lot.



I believe this is the most talented team BYU has ever had, but this schedule is crazy tough. When you go into a season with a bunch of 50/50 games, you tend to come out with between 5 and 7 wins.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.