Archived Topic

Where do you get your information on "the wars and the perplexities of the nations?"

by jvquarterback · 4/4/2016

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
I've been thinking about this for a while. Elder Kearon's talk made me think about it more.



My go to place for the few years has been antiwar.com but their coverage of Syria was at times as one-sided as NPR and Fox (all three in favor of the US government backed rebels). I'd be willing to read others but there really isn't a good news feed for what is actually happening and I couldn't find anywhere else that gave reasonable synopses of what was actually happening in different countries.



I suppose it comes down to not being able to trust anyone when it comes to the news. Everyone has an agenda.



Anyway, I'd like to know where you get your "news".
G
Gulf of Misery
Currently I follow Niall Ferguson's Facebook page. He is a history professor from England and authored Henry Kissinger's biography. He gives links to news article written by himself and others. I like reading The Atlantic and The Economist. I am checking out The Christian Science Monitorto see if it is any good. When I was at BYU, they recommended studying that publication to prepare for the State Department exam.
S
scott715
Welcome to the site, Gulf of Misery.
J
jvquarterback
Yes welcome.



CSM is good. Though it can be a long time between relevant articles. And you don't get much about what is going on on the ground though that is a criticism of all the news agencies. There aren't reporters embedded in most places and certainly not with Nusra, Daesh, or the "moderate" rebels. I know I'm not going to get that even from Al Jezeera so what I'm looking for is a compilation of news stories (preferably sourced by the news agency rather than the military or government) on foreign events.



I read the Atlantic as well and Forbes more than The Economist. Haaretz from Israel gives the opposition (Israeli) view. But what I really want is a compilation of the best articles of the week or something like that.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.