Archived Topic

BYU schedules Baylor in 2021-2022

by Fido · 3/31/2016

Advertisement
G
Guest
715601353465180160
S
snoscythe
Man, this one is going to tear me in two. Excited for it, but can't say I know who I'll be pulling for in the end. Probably BYU, but it's one of those things where I won't know until I open the closet the morning of to decide what to wear that I know who I'll be yelling for/at.
F
Fido
715607044875640832
Advertisement
B
BOID
Fido wrote:
715607044875640832


This strikes me as very odd. Does it mean that other presidents or AD's in conference do not agree? If so, then why the exception for Baylor? Who are the anti-BYU hold-outs?



At least, Bowlsby and Ken Starr appear to be favorable to us.
S
scott715
We are a major upgrade to SOS for BU. The league should be very happy by this move.
Y
YNot
I wonder how long this series has been in the works. Regardless, I'm not surprised that the first new series under Sitake and Detmer includes a game in Texas.



Also, can you read anything into this about Big 12 expansion and BYU? Frankly, if BYU can get these kinds of games and schedules, I'm not sure being left out of the Big 12 is that bad of an outcome:



2021:

Home: Arizona St., Boise St., Virginia

Road: Arizona (in Vegas), USF, USC, Baylor



That's at least 5 P5 opponents and Boise St. with games in California, Las Vegas, Texas, and Florida. We would also be on schedule to host Utah and travel to Utah St. Could be 6 P5 opponents at desirable locations and 3 rivalry games.



2022:

Home: USF, Baylor

Road: Oregon, Boise St., Stanford
F
Fido
BOID wrote:
715607044875640832


This strikes me as very odd. Does it mean that other presidents or AD's in conference do not agree? If so, then why the exception for Baylor? Who are the anti-BYU hold-outs?



At least, Bowlsby and Ken Starr appear to be favorable to us.

The way I read this is that Baylor requested approval of this as their P5 game requirement and received approval for it. But the Big 12 did not establish a policy that says BYU will always fill the requirement. So if say TCU wanted to play BYU and have it count towards their P5 requirement they would have to request approval from the league and couldn't just assume that they could sign a BYU contract and be good.
S
snoscythe
I'd like to see the Big XII tell another school that schedules BYU, "no, sorry--they don't count for you."



Whether they want to admit it or not, they've just accepted BYU as a P5 team for purposes of scheduling.
Advertisement
S
scott715
If they did, they would tell them before the deal gets signed. It would never become public, TH had been hinting at a schedule deal. I assume this was the one he was hinting at.
B
BOID
snoscythe wrote:
I'd like to see the Big XII tell another school that schedules BYU, "no, sorry--they don't count for you."



Whether they want to admit it or not, they've just accepted BYU as a P5 team for purposes of scheduling.


Yes, this makes sense. Any other Big 12 program that wants to schedule BYU should get approval as well. They can't deny others the same thing granted to Baylor.



I like that Baylor's AD said in his news release that BYU will help their SOS.
C
Cougarfan87
YNot wrote:
I wonder how long this series has been in the works. Regardless, I'm not surprised that the first new series under Sitake and Detmer includes a game in Texas.



Also, can you read anything into this about Big 12 expansion and BYU? Frankly, if BYU can get these kinds of games and schedules, I'm not sure being left out of the Big 12 is that bad of an outcome:



2021:

Home: Arizona St., Boise St., Virginia

Road: Arizona (in Vegas), USF, USC, Baylor



That's at least 5 P5 opponents and Boise St. with games in California, Las Vegas, Texas, and Florida. We would also be on schedule to host Utah and travel to Utah St. Could be 6 P5 opponents at desirable locations and 3 rivalry games.



2022:

Home: USF, Baylor

Road: Oregon, Boise St., Stanford


Yeah, I am still not understanding why it is unsustainable. It may be a big pain in the rear end to have to do an independent schedule, but it has been doable so far, despite the MWC banding together to not play us (except for Utah State). I would like to get some of the old MWC teams on a regular basis, but that may take some time. If it were up to me, I would schedule Colorado State, SDSU, Utah State, Utah, and Air Force every year. I thought those were some good games that were not push overs that developed into some pretty good history. Very competitive. So, I do miss maybe those three previous MWC teams that will not play us right now. Those three plus Utah and Utah State would be a solid slate of five games every year to start from, and make for good regional games while we go out a little farther for our Independent schedule. Of course, I realize this is somewhat of a pipe dream. I think those former MWC teams are glad they don't have to get beat up by BYU every year. :evil: But if we could get into more of a regional scheduling agreement with them, and later on in the season, I think the Independent schedule would become much easier.
F
Fido
They never said they wouldn't approve a request to have BYU count for a P5 game, but they didn't say it would automatically count either. It sounds like a school would need to request it and receive the approval.



And I thought it has been discussed ad nauseum that the "unsustainable" comment was not in relation to putting together a schedule, but in keeping up with P5 money as an independent. If the indy route is followed, they will not keep up with P5 money and cannot sustain a P5 level of funding with the ESPN tv deal, booster donations, etc.
B
BOID
I think it's less a matter of BYU being able to keep up with P5 money, as it is, does BYU want to. If the board is trustees decides that football exposure is no longer worth what it is costing, then they will nix that.



That said, I still think BYU football has a lot of revenue generating horsepower. I don't think we are going to see Cougar FB getting the axe, just because of prolonged independence. We keep hearing that prediction from trollish Utes, but..... In their dreams, perhaps.
Advertisement
S
SkystheLimit
I'm not holding my breath, and Baylor scheduling us is probably no more an indication that the Big 12 is looking closely at BYU than playing Virginia means the ACC is looking at us, but one can hope it is a good sign. Probably not though. <crossing my fingers but not holding my breath>
B
BYULV
BOID wrote:
I think it's less a matter of BYU being able to keep up with P5 money, as it is, does BYU want to. If the board is trustees decides that football exposure is no longer worth what it is costing, then they will nix that.



That said, I still think BYU football has a lot of revenue generating horsepower. I don't think we are going to see Cougar FB getting the axe, just because of prolonged independence. We keep hearing that prediction from trollish Utes, but..... In their dreams, perhaps.


I'm not sure we need to keep pace with P5 money completely, just a percentage of it. We are keeping up with them in scholarship and stipend money and facilities, but not in coaches pay. The advantage we have is we aren't supplementing sports programs with educational dollars like the majority of universities do. We can sustain our independence as long as we can continue in the black with our athletic dept and not start losing ground with recruiting. We definitely have been better off as an independent compared to where we were in the WAC or MWC. We are moving forward in athletics as an independent.
Y
YNot
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Yeah, I am still not understanding why it is unsustainable. It may be a big pain in the rear end to have to do an independent schedule, but it has been doable so far, despite the MWC banding together to not play us (except for Utah State). I would like to get some of the old MWC teams on a regular basis, but that may take some time. If it were up to me, I would schedule Colorado State, SDSU, Utah State, Utah, and Air Force every year. I thought those were some good games that were not push overs that developed into some pretty good history. Very competitive. So, I do miss maybe those three previous MWC teams that will not play us right now. Those three plus Utah and Utah State would be a solid slate of five games every year to start from, and make for good regional games while we go out a little farther for our Independent schedule. Of course, I realize this is somewhat of a pipe dream. I think those former MWC teams are glad they don't have to get beat up by BYU every year. :evil: But if we could get into more of a regional scheduling agreement with them, and later on in the season, I think the Independent schedule would become much easier.


We have scheduled and played UNLV, Fresno St., Nevada, and SJSU recently, in addition to Boise St. and Utah St. That's half the MWC. The old guard of the MWC are the teams ignoring us. And Hawaii (Norm Chow) cancelled part of the scheduled series when the MWC added its championship game (we had originally scheduled to play Hawaii in December a couple of years ago).



My preference would be to continue to play Boise St. annually, so we can make it a true rivalry game. Then, get on a schedule that has Utah at home one year and Boise St. and Utah St. the next.



Then - rather than play CSU, AFA, and SDSU every year, I'd like a schedule that had them staggered. I'd add Hawaii and UNLV to the list.



Also, continue what we are doing with the PAC 12, with 2-3 per year in addition to Utah.



That would give us 7-8 games each year with rivalries and regional games. Then, fill in the openings with mostly B1G, SEC, Big 12, ACC, and AAC schools. Turn the Toledo, UMass, NIU, and similar games into payday home games - i.e., replace Wagner, Savannah St., and SUU type home games with MAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt teams. Add Wyoming, SJSU, Nevada, and New Mexico to the list of payday home opponents, if they'll take the $$$.



That would be 6-7 P5 schools, 4 or 5 MWC and AAC schools and no more FCS games.
S
scott715
We are moving in that direction.
C
Cougarfan87
YNot wrote:
Yeah, I am still not understanding why it is unsustainable. It may be a big pain in the rear end to have to do an independent schedule, but it has been doable so far, despite the MWC banding together to not play us (except for Utah State). I would like to get some of the old MWC teams on a regular basis, but that may take some time. If it were up to me, I would schedule Colorado State, SDSU, Utah State, Utah, and Air Force every year. I thought those were some good games that were not push overs that developed into some pretty good history. Very competitive. So, I do miss maybe those three previous MWC teams that will not play us right now. Those three plus Utah and Utah State would be a solid slate of five games every year to start from, and make for good regional games while we go out a little farther for our Independent schedule. Of course, I realize this is somewhat of a pipe dream. I think those former MWC teams are glad they don't have to get beat up by BYU every year. :evil: But if we could get into more of a regional scheduling agreement with them, and later on in the season, I think the Independent schedule would become much easier.


We have scheduled and played UNLV, Fresno St., Nevada, and SJSU recently, in addition to Boise St. and Utah St. That's half the MWC. The old guard of the MWC are the teams ignoring us. And Hawaii (Norm Chow) cancelled part of the scheduled series when the MWC added its championship game (we had originally scheduled to play Hawaii in December a couple of years ago).



My preference would be to continue to play Boise St. annually, so we can make it a true rivalry game. Then, get on a schedule that has Utah at home one year and Boise St. and Utah St. the next.



Then - rather than play CSU, AFA, and SDSU every year, I'd like a schedule that had them staggered. I'd add Hawaii and UNLV to the list.



Also, continue what we are doing with the PAC 12, with 2-3 per year in addition to Utah.



That would give us 7-8 games each year with rivalries and regional games. Then, fill in the openings with mostly B1G, SEC, Big 12, ACC, and AAC schools. Turn the Toledo, UMass, NIU, and similar games into payday home games - i.e., replace Wagner, Savannah St., and SUU type home games with MAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt teams. Add Wyoming, SJSU, Nevada, and New Mexico to the list of payday home opponents, if they'll take the $$$.



That would be 6-7 P5 schools, 4 or 5 MWC and AAC schools and no more FCS games.


I don't know why I left out Boise State. I am glad we are playing them pretty much every year. I concur with what you have said above.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.