Archived Topic

Player's stepping up?

by hawkwing · 3/29/2016

Advertisement
G
Guest
714847854389399556
G
Guest
I honestly don't know how to feel about this tweet.
F
Fido
I don't know....it's spring after all. How much hardcore contact do they need to have going on? Save that for fall camp.
F
frdbtr
hawkwing wrote:
I honestly don't know how to feel about this tweet.


Makes me feel about the same I have always felt about Kilane Sitake's defense. We are going to be missing Bronco's defenses very shortly into next season.
B
BroncoBot
Sounds like the intensity is definitely down a few notches. I'll let Kalani's results speak for themselves next year.
Advertisement
S
SkystheLimit
Broncobot wrote:
Sounds like the intensity is definitely down a few notches. I'll let Kalani's results speak for themselves next year.


I understand Sitake is just trying to keep everyone healthy. Plus, they're just learning a whole new system. I imagine the intensity will be high through fall camp.
B
Brayden Green
Maybe Sitake doesn't want a team full of high ankle sprains. :P



Good to hear that the players are self regulating. He won't be there to hold their hands this summer anyways. Spring practice never should be about conditioning in the first place. That is what summer workouts and fall camp are for. Spring practices are for extra coach evaluation and instruction.
B
BroncoBot
Brayden Green wrote:
Spring practices are for extra coach evaluation and instruction.

Kind of hard to evaluate when players are going half speed isn't it?



AGain, I don't really care what coach Sitake does for practices as long as it translates into Ws this fall. I'll let his results speak for him. By their fruits....
S
snoscythe
Bronco was unique in his effort requirements. I'm not about to criticize KS for not doing that unique thing that only Bronco does among college coaches. Personally, I think Bronco over-emphasized effort to the point where he preferred effort over execution and play-making.
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
Bronco was unique in his effort requirements. I'm not about to criticize KS for not doing that unique thing that only Bronco does among college coaches. Personally, I think Bronco over-emphasized effort to the point where he preferred effort over execution and play-making.

Agreed. To each their own. If KS's system produces consistency and wins by going to 7 peaks 3x/week, I'm all for it.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Put Pete Carroll in the camp that took a more lax approach to practice. Of course, if we had his athletes and the lack of a moral compass that would inhibit buying them, we would also have his USC results...until they were stripped away.



I'm not even sure why I made this point now.
S
stuckinbig10country
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Put Pete Carroll in the camp that took a more lax approach to practice. Of course, if we had his athletes and the lack of a moral compass that would inhibit buying them, we would also have his USC results...until they were stripped away.



I'm not even sure why I made this point now.


I remember hearing that USC practices were insanely intense during the Carroll years. Basically that Tuesdays were all out wars going 1s vs 1s full contact. A lot of commentary about how Tuesdays were more intense than games.



I have my questions about Sitake and his abilities as a defensive coach (never really been impressed with him as a play caller), and I think we're not going to be as good defensively...but I don't know if lack of pursuit drills is going to be the reason why.



Although, if the 3 guys mentioned in the tweet feel there's a lack of effort, that's problematic.
C
Cougarfan87
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Put Pete Carroll in the camp that took a more lax approach to practice. Of course, if we had his athletes and the lack of a moral compass that would inhibit buying them, we would also have his USC results...until they were stripped away.



I'm not even sure why I made this point now.


I remember hearing that USC practices were insanely intense during the Carroll years. Basically that Tuesdays were all out wars going 1s vs 1s full contact. A lot of commentary about how Tuesdays were more intense than games.



I have my questions about Sitake and his abilities as a defensive coach (never really been impressed with him as a play caller), and I think we're not going to be as good defensively...but I don't know if lack of pursuit drills is going to be the reason why.



Although, if the 3 guys mentioned in the tweet feel there's a lack of effort, that's problematic.


That could be. I was basing my comment on an ESPN bit I saw once that showed how he liked to keep it relaxed, but that could have been a final walk through.
F
frdbtr
The honeymoon will be over for Sitake after week 2 next year. Mark my words. I have to admit I have been impressed with his fan involvement but IMO unless BYU beats utah next year, he is going to have a tough year.
B
Brayden Green
frdbtr wrote:
The honeymoon will be over for Sitake after week 2 next year. Mark my words. I have to admit I have been impressed with his fan involvement but IMO unless BYU beats utah next year, he is going to have a tough year.


Why? We aren't exactly accustomed to success against Utah. I expect to lose next year to Utah, though I hope for a win. I don't expect Sitake to take a bunch of Bronco recruits and buck a 6 year trend. I hope we take the game seriously and prepare, and I think that we will.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Brayden Green wrote:
The honeymoon will be over for Sitake after week 2 next year. Mark my words. I have to admit I have been impressed with his fan involvement but IMO unless BYU beats utah next year, he is going to have a tough year.


Why? We aren't exactly accustomed to success against Utah. I expect to lose next year to Utah, though I hope for a win. I don't expect Sitake to take a bunch of Bronco recruits and buck a 6 year trend. I hope we take the game seriously and prepare, and I think that we will.


Because I know BYU fans. Most of them can't stomach any loss without major coaching criticism, let alone a loss to the utes.
B
Brayden Green
Fair enough. I suppose that time will tell.
S
stuckinbig10country
That "bunch of Bronco recruits" is the most talent BYU had ever had.
F
frdbtr
stuckinbig10country wrote:
That "bunch of Bronco recruits" is the most talent BYU had ever had.


I still have to disagree with this. BYU has tons of talent this year but we used to put tons of guys in the NFL every year back in the 80's.
S
stuckinbig10country
frdbtr wrote:
That "bunch of Bronco recruits" is the most talent BYU had ever had.


I still have to disagree with this. BYU has tons of talent this year but we used to put tons of guys in the NFL every year back in the 80's.


Yep, back when the draft had 14 rounds and rosters were bigger, they had more players in the NFL. Also helped that college football, outside of about 20 schools, was an afterthought in the 80s and early 90s. Many schools were losing so much on football, they were close to shutting down programs.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.