Archived Topic

excellent piece on espn regarding Cuba game

by BroncoBot · 3/22/2016

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
wow. I just got done reading the article and had a lot of memories of stories from Ukraine come flooding back which were remarkably similar. Anyone who wants to see the USA become a socialistic or communist state can go to hell.



espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15032737/historic-game-cuba-ignores-pain-many-people-endured



awful stuff. haven't studies Cuba too much but it sounds par for the course in a communist society.
B
byufan4ever
Yes, I thought that was a good article. No, I don't like communism. But I also don't like hate. We shouldn't hanging on to hatred of Cubans and other people that live in communist countries. I would like to see peace and dialogue. Not every country is going to be like America. Look at China. Remember when China was America's great enemy and were going to take over the world simply because they were communist? We've had decent relations with them and I believe that they are progressing as a country.
C
Cougarfan87
While maybe we shouldn't be playing a baseball game there and pretending all is well, I think you can exert much more influence for good by engaging than simply cutting them off. All that does is breed contempt and hate for the cause. I think it is better to let people see what freedom looks like, crave a little of it themselves, and then let them change their own circumstances.
B
BroncoBot
byufan4ever wrote:
Yes, I thought that was a good article. No, I don't like communism. But I also don't like hate. We shouldn't hanging on to hatred of Cubans and other people that live in communist countries. I would like to see peace and dialogue. Not every country is going to be like America. Look at China. Remember when China was America's great enemy and were going to take over the world simply because they were communist? We've had decent relations with them and I believe that they are progressing as a country.

China is still a powderkeg. As is the USSR formerly known as the USSR. I don't hate Cubans at all. But I do have a hatred of communism as I've seen first hand the fruits it produces. It has held the Cubans down for 60+ years now which is incredibly sad.
S
Schmoe
Cougarfan87 wrote:
While maybe we shouldn't be playing a baseball game there and pretending all is well, I think you can exert much more influence for good by engaging than simply cutting them off. All that does is breed contempt and hate for the cause. I think it is better to let people see what freedom looks like, crave a little of it themselves, and then let them change their own circumstances.


How do you change your own circumstances under a communist dictator? Are you saying that we hopefully will be inciting a democratic revolution in Cuba?
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Schmoe wrote:
While maybe we shouldn't be playing a baseball game there and pretending all is well, I think you can exert much more influence for good by engaging than simply cutting them off. All that does is breed contempt and hate for the cause. I think it is better to let people see what freedom looks like, crave a little of it themselves, and then let them change their own circumstances.


How do you change your own circumstances under a communist dictator? Are you saying that we hopefully will be inciting a democratic revolution in Cuba?

Revolutions are not always violent. The USSR dissolved without a shot. I think it was Portugal that peacefully transitioned from an autocratic to democratic state. Violence is not always necessary...though in some cases it is. I am saying, let the people self determine what form of government they want. Only in seeing what a free government has to offer will they realize that there are other choices. The young generation has known nothing but their current form of government.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
You don't think they've already seen it for the last half century? Isn't that why they've been fleeing to us? But somehow because our wannabe communist dictator gets chummy with theirs, things are going to get better? I just don't agree.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
The only people hurt by US sanctions in Cuba (or Iran, North Korea, or anywhere else) are innocent Cubans (Persians, North Koreans) and the US citizens who would be trading with them. The embargoes/sanctions support the government bureaucrats in those countries and the US.



The sanctions are just pandering to morons who love 'Merika and are too stupid to realize their actions have the opposite effect than what they are looking for. They're in the same boat with the idiots in favor of a minimum wage.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.