Archived Topic

Prophets on Politics and Leaders

by snoscythe · 3/18/2016

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I've been studying the statements of the prophets (at a time when they were either an apostle or the President of the Church) that relate to politics and elections, and I thought I would share them:



"In relation to these matters, the Elders of Israel begin to understand that they have something to do with the world politically as well as religiously, that it is as much their duty to study correct political principles as well as religious, and to seek to know and comprehend the social and political interests of man, and to learn and be able to teach that which would be best calculated to promote the interests of the world." - John Taylor (1862, JD-9:340)



"We need to recognize that America has become a great nation because she adhered whole-heartedly to certain basic Christian principles that are eternal. We must have an adherence to these high moral principles, these spiritual principles, if this nation is to endure. God grant that it may endure!" - Ezra Taft Benson (BYU 10/22/1954).



"I don't believe that men in high places, in government, in business, or elsewhere can successfully divorce their private lives from their public declarations and protestations. Nor do I believe that women who attain positions of eminence can do it either. We often speak of the gullible public, but I am very much inclined to think that there is enough discernment in this public to see behind the idealistic words of a speaker or writer, the consistency of performance. ... would subject every representative of the American people, from small community level, to state, national and international position, to the scrutiny and test of virtuous, moral standards. I would. Some will say, you are discounting the value of brains and "know-how" in this intricate business of government and sociology. I am not. I stand in awe of the presence of a great mind with superior intelligence devoted to human welfare. We are greatly dependent on such minds, but if I had to make a choice, which I ought not to have to make, between talent and integrity, I would choose integrity and virtue, for without them we are lost." - Stephen L. Richards (Conference Report, 10/53:101)



"I wish you ever to remember this when you think of yourselves, your brethren, or of any man that wants influence in the world. Always learn what an individual wants influence for. If he wants it for good, to promote peace and righteousness, never hinder his efforts, but promote them if you can. But when men try to gain influence for evil, to lead their fellow creatures in the way to death, exercise all the power you possess to abridge such influence; destroy it if you can." - Brigham Young (1867, JD-12:18)



"[W]hat party do you belong to or would you vote for? I will tell you whom we will vote for: we will vote for the man who will sustain the principles of civil and religious liberty, the man who knows the most and has the best heart and brain for a statesman; and we do not care a farthing whether he is a whig, a democrat, a barnburner, a republican, a new light, or anything else. These are our politics." - Brigham Young (1869, JD-13:149)



"Let the people see to it that they get righteous men to be their leaders, who will labour with their hands and administer to their own necessities, sit in judgment, legislate, and govern in righteousness; and officers that are filled with peace; and see to it that every man goes forth among the people as a travelling officer if full of fear of the Lord, and would rather do right at a sacrifice than wrong as a reward. ...[A]nd the people should concentrate their feelings, their influence, and their faith, to select the best man they can to be their President, if he had nothing more to eat that potatoes and salt--a man who will not aspire to become greater than the people who appoint him, but be contented to live as they live, be clothed as they are clothed, and in every good thing be one with them. - Brigham Young (JD-7:12-13)



"We engage in the election the same as in any other principle; you are to vote for good men, and if you do not do this it is a sin; to vote for wicked men, it would be sin. Choose the good and refuse the evil. Men of false principles have preyed upon us like wolves upon helpless lambs. Damn the rod of tyranny; curse it. Let every man use his liberties according to the Constitution. Don't fear man or devil; electioneer with all people, male and female, and exhort them to do the thing that is right. We want a President of the U.S., not a party President, but a President of the whole people; for a party President disenfranchises the opposite party. Have a President who will maintain every man in his rights." - Hyrum Smith (1844, DHC-6:323).



"Unity is power; and when I reflect on the importance of it to the stability of all government, I am astounded at the silly moves of persons and parties to foment discord in order to ride into power on the current of popular excitement" - Joseph Smith (1844, DHC-6:198)
G
Guest
Great quotes, they say a lot to me.
S
snoscythe
One more for good measure in case anyone is thinking, 'yeah, but a lot has changed in the past 60 years':



"As citizens we have the privilege and duty of electing office holders and influencing public policy. Participation in the political process affects our communities and nation today and in the future. We urge Latter-day Saints to be active citizens by registering and then regularly exercising their right to vote. We also urge you to spend the time needed to become informed about the issues and candidates you will be considering as you vote. ... Latter-day Saints as citizens are to seek out and then uphold leaders who will act with integrity and are wise, good, and honest."

- Thomas S. Monson, Henry B. Eyring, Dieter F. Uchtdorf (First Presidency Letter, 10-9-2014).
D
Ddawg
Great quotes Sno. Good job.



BTW - did you get your free tickets to the Trump rally tonight @ 7pm? LOL!



Salt Lake City is not Chicago. It will be fun to see if the Moveon.org protestors try to mix it up in SLC. If I was in Utah, I would go just to see the spectacle.



Infinity Center, 26 E. 600 S, SLC



If anybody goes ....... be careful. 8)
B
byufan4ever
I'm not sure what his church calling was when he made this statement/talk (although I heard that he made it several times at various church gatherings), but Benson's entire "The Proper Role of Government" should be included with this collection:



http://www.properroleofgovernment.com/



My favorite quote from it is:


In general terms, therefore, the proper role of government includes such defensive activities, as maintaining national military and local police forces for protection against loss of life, loss of property, and loss of liberty at the hands of either foreign despots or domestic criminals.


The government is to protect against loss of life, property, and liberty. Nothing more.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Ddawg wrote:
Great quotes Sno. Good job.



BTW - did you get your free tickets to the Trump rally tonight @ 7pm? LOL!



Salt Lake City is not Chicago. It will be fun to see if the Moveon.org protestors try to mix it up in SLC. If I was in Utah, I would go just to see the spectacle.



Infinity Center, 26 E. 600 S, SLC



If anybody goes ....... be careful. 8)


I am taking the kids to the International Sportsmens Expo tonight. I think they'll see enough stuffed and fake hair at the Mule Deer Foundation booth, so we'll pass on Trump.



I am trying to clear my schedule to go to the Cruz rally in Provo tomorrow, though.
B
byufan4ever
More from Benson:


I am unalterable opposed to Socialism, either in whole or in part, and regard it as an unconstitutional usurpation of power and a denial of the right of private property for government to own or operate the means of producing and distributing goods and services in competition with private enterprise, or to regiment owners in the legitimate use of private property.


It is a firm principle that the smallest or lowest level that can possibly undertake the task is the one that should do so. First, the community or city. If the city cannot handle it, then the county. Next, the state; and only if no smaller unit can possible do the job should the federal government be considered. It is well to remember that the states of this republic created the Federal Government. The Federal Government did not create the states.
J
jvquarterback
snoscythe wrote:
"We engage in the election the same as in any other principle; you are to vote for good men, and if you do not do this it is a sin; to vote for wicked men, it would be sin. Choose the good and refuse the evil" - Hyrum Smith (1844, DHC-6:323).


I think it is clear Clinton falls into the category Hyrum Smith said it would be sinful to vote for. I wouldn't say the same about Trump. I don't plan on voting for him but I can't go so far as to call him wicked.



My daughter asked me why everyone doesn't abstain from voting. I think if the nominations are Clinton and Trump as expected a lot of people will vote third party. I'll wait to see who the Libertarian and Constitution Parties select then decide whether or not I end up abstaining altogether.
D
Ddawg
snoscythe wrote:
Great quotes Sno. Good job.



BTW - did you get your free tickets to the Trump rally tonight @ 7pm? LOL!



Salt Lake City is not Chicago. It will be fun to see if the Moveon.org protestors try to mix it up in SLC. If I was in Utah, I would go just to see the spectacle.



Infinity Center, 26 E. 600 S, SLC



If anybody goes ....... be careful. 8)


I am taking the kids to the International Sportsmens Expo tonight. I think they'll see enough stuffed and fake hair at the Mule Deer Foundation booth, so we'll pass on Trump.



I am trying to clear my schedule to go to the Cruz rally in Provo tomorrow, though.


Good call. I would love to go to the Ted Cruz rally. I think it would be a positive experience.



On a different note, I would love to go to the Trump rally to watch the Moveon.org derelicts try to disrupt. I love a train wreck.

:-)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
jvquarterback wrote:

I think it is clear Clinton falls into the category Hyrum Smith said it would be sinful to vote for. I wouldn't say the same about Trump. I don't plan on voting for him but I can't go so far as to call him wicked.


You are certainly entitled to your opinion of Trump. I'm not sure if you've only been following him since this election. But it has been the opinion of many many people for a long time that Trump is an immoral person who will do anything and step on anyone to earn a cent. When I was studying business at BYU-I in 2003ish, David Bednar (then President of BYU-I) came into one of my business classes and talked about leadership. He specifically called out Trump as an example of what a good businessman and leader should NOT be. I've only known Bednar to be an upbeat person but he did not have nice things to say about Trump. I would certainly call Trump wicked.
D
Ddawg
Funny primary rally news. My son (lives in Springville) got off work yesterday (5 pm) and drove up to the Trump rally in SLC - just wanted to get in and watch the happenings. No way. By the time he got there, it was filled up and closed. So he stayed out side and watched the leftie protestors and the PD "do their dance." He said it was an interesting sight - entertaining.



Today he went to the Ted Cruz rally at Provo High. No idea if he made it in. He txt'd me that the line was very long.
M
Mars


Well, the Church did kill Utah's recent medical marijuana bill, which I think was short-sighted, based on a healthy dose of ignorance. Good people can do stupid things.



Of course, none of our current presidential candidates are good people to begin with.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:


Well, the Church did kill Utah's recent medical marijuana bill, which I think was short-sighted, based on a healthy dose of ignorance. Good people can do stupid things.



Of course, none of our current presidential candidates are good people to begin with.

Medical marijuana isn't about medical "benefits." It's about being able to smoke marijuana.
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:


Well, the Church did kill Utah's recent medical marijuana bill, which I think was short-sighted, based on a healthy dose of ignorance. Good people can do stupid things.



Of course, none of our current presidential candidates are good people to begin with.

Medical marijuana isn't about medical "benefits." It's about being able to smoke marijuana.

I currently work at a VA. The state I'm in allows medical grass. There have been several dozen veterans who smoke marijuana and say that was the only way they were able to get off the pain pill addiction. Personally, I'd rather have someone smoking weed legally than popping narcs legally(?).



recreational weed? it's a lost battle. put it in the same category as tobacco and etoh (which are going to kill more Americans and will cost our country more overall) and lets move on already.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
True. Let's get Phillip Morris in the weed business so the gov't can regulate and tax it.
M
Mars


Weed is barely even a drug. Heroine, Spice, those are drugs. Alcohol, that's a drug. Oxycodone, that's a drug. Weed is more of an anti-depressant.



The idea of someone with terminal cancer eating pot brownies makes me feel good, plain and simple. Cancer sucks.
B
byufan4ever
According to this marijuana is not as harmless as many claim...


most_dangerous_drugs.0.png
B
BroncoBot
Where do you draw the line? especially with alcohol at #1? Time for prohibition II? Tobacco vs cocaine a dead tie basically? Why do we allow tobacco that with its associated socioeconomic risks?



That chart only reinforces my views on marijuana as about as harmless as they come. If you take out the "illegal" part of marijuana how much does the "harm to users" and "harm to others" drop? Suddenly your not arresting these guys which nearly eliminates societies need to regulate it, they're not a burden in jail(harms self and others), they aren't killing each other in the streets over turf wars and dealings, you're not providing dealers (the real scumbags) with oodles of cash etc etc etc. making marijuana illegal and being ok with alcohol and tobacco is just backwards.
S
snoscythe
In the dedicatory prayer for the Provo City Center Temple, President Nelson prayed that God would "Inspire and strengthen those who seek to preserve our Constitutional form of government."



Pretty strong indication that the brethren are keenly aware of the direction of this country.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.