Archived Topic

BYU a 2 Seed in NIT

by Schmoe · 3/14/2016

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
So, our Cougars will host the first game against 7 seed UAB on Wednesday at 8:00 pm. This team won 26 games this season and has a true seven-footer in Thomas Smallwood from France, but he doesn't appear to play all that much. Their heavy hitters look like Brown (a 6-5 guard, probably not dissimilar to Collinsworth), Cokely and William (6-8 and 6-9 forwards that could give us some trouble if they're on the floor at the same time).
E
EM_Puma
When I saw UAB I wasn't happy as for some reason I remember an upset they did of us in the NCAA some years ago. Now I see they average 79.0 points and I hate teams that we play of that order. If we're on, we win comfortably, but if not, then we watch our ship go down.



They won 3 games with scoring +100, while we only had 2, so they can be very prolific if they are on. They sound a lot like BYU.



I love the respect of a #2 seed. The same as our conference regular season champ and a team that made it to the conference championship, which we did not.
E
EM_Puma
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38883807&nid=272&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



"BYU's host possibilities could also be affected by non-basketball factors. The Cougars' home court, the Marriott Center, will be used by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the cultural celebration for the Provo City Center Temple on Saturday, and the Cougars would likely have had to vacate the building before the weekend.



Come on. I understand that temple dedications are sacred and important, but this is a facility for sports. If someone at BYU had vision, they would have said, when the Church first wanted to schedule this, "Well, that date might not work for BYU because if we don't make the NCAA, then we'll need the building. The temple dedication easily, at that point, could have been moved a week earlier, a week later. There's nothing sacred about the date the cultural celebration is being done or the temple dedication for that matter. to me it's just foolish that such foresight is not evident.
J
Jarhead
EM_Puma wrote:
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38883807&nid=272&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed



"BYU's host possibilities could also be affected by non-basketball factors. The Cougars' home court, the Marriott Center, will be used by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the cultural celebration for the Provo City Center Temple on Saturday, and the Cougars would likely have had to vacate the building before the weekend.



Come on. I understand that temple dedications are sacred and important, but this is a facility for sports. If someone at BYU had vision, they would have said, when the Church first wanted to schedule this, "Well, that date might not work for BYU because if we don't make the NCAA, then we'll need the building. The temple dedication easily, at that point, could have been moved a week earlier, a week later. There's nothing sacred about the date the cultural celebration is being done or the temple dedication for that matter. to me it's just foolish that such foresight is not evident.


Not a big deal to me. If we end up playing our second game not at the Marriott center, the provo city center temple will probably be mentioned in some way on the broadcast. I wouldn't mind that. We've blown our share of games at the marriot center this year anyway.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
Jarhead wrote:
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38883807&nid=272&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed



"BYU's host possibilities could also be affected by non-basketball factors. The Cougars' home court, the Marriott Center, will be used by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the cultural celebration for the Provo City Center Temple on Saturday, and the Cougars would likely have had to vacate the building before the weekend.



Come on. I understand that temple dedications are sacred and important, but this is a facility for sports. If someone at BYU had vision, they would have said, when the Church first wanted to schedule this, "Well, that date might not work for BYU because if we don't make the NCAA, then we'll need the building. The temple dedication easily, at that point, could have been moved a week earlier, a week later. There's nothing sacred about the date the cultural celebration is being done or the temple dedication for that matter. to me it's just foolish that such foresight is not evident.


Not a big deal to me. If we end up playing our second game not at the Marriott center, the provo city center temple will probably be mentioned in some way on the broadcast. I wouldn't mind that. We've blown our share of games at the marriot center this year anyway.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


unfortunately, it would mean we probably end up traveling to the East coast for game 2 if we win (vs Virginia Tech or Princeton) - thats a big difference in chance of winning game #2 compared to playing at home in the Marriott Center.
Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
Just play in the Smith Fieldhouse! That works pretty well for Volleyball. :)
B
BYULV
Just incorporate the game into the cultural celebration. Now that would make great headlines and an awesome halftime show.
G
Guest
I'm not sure we'll need to host a game 2.
E
EM_Puma
hawkwing wrote:
I'm not sure we'll need to host a game 2.


Who spit in your Cheerios?
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:
I'm not sure we'll need to host a game 2.


Who spit in your Cheerios?


Sounds like something Nick Emery might do...
Advertisement
G
Guest
EM_Puma wrote:
I'm not sure we'll need to host a game 2.


Who spit in your Cheerios?


I'm just saying from someone who isn't familiar with UAB at all, they seem like a tough matchup for the Cougars.
B
BYULV
UAB is definitely a tough matchup. I'm glad we have them at home. They will have trouble keeping up the pace at altitude, far from home.
B
BlueK
hawkwing wrote:
I'm not sure we'll need to host a game 2.


the #1 seed in BYU's bracket lost. Pack your bags for NYC. Ok, it won't be that easy probably, but VT has a really tough draw to have to wait until late on Wednesday to find out for sure they have to make a long flight to Provo Thursday and then play the next day. They won't have a lot of time for preparation. Creighton would probably be next. They're good. But winning these next two should actually be expected. Sagarin rates BYU higher than anyone they could play in the entire NIT except St. Mary's.
G
Guest
BlueK wrote:
I'm not sure we'll need to host a game 2.


the #1 seed in BYU's bracket lost. Pack your bags for NYC. Ok, it won't be that easy probably, but VT has a really tough draw to have to wait until late on Wednesday to find out for sure they have to make a long flight to Provo Thursday and then play the next day. They won't have a lot of time for preparation. Creighton would probably be next. They're good. But winning these next two should actually be expected. Sagarin rates BYU higher than anyone they could play in the entire NIT except St. Mary's.


Yeah BYU came out focused and on fire for game 1. Slipped up and got lazy in the 2nd half, but KC and Fischer were not to be denied.



I really hope they can keep it up all the way to the finals.
S
Screamineagle
I have not seen the brackets so this may sound like a stupid question but is there a possibility of a BYU Saint Marys final or are they both on the same side in the bracket?
Advertisement
G
Guest
Screamineagle wrote:
I have not seen the brackets so this may sound like a stupid question but is there a possibility of a BYU Saint Marys final or are they both on the same side in the bracket?


Same side, could meet in the final 4.
S
Screamineagle
hawkwing wrote:
I have not seen the brackets so this may sound like a stupid question but is there a possibility of a BYU Saint Marys final or are they both on the same side in the bracket?


Same side, could meet in the final 4.

Thanks.
I
imuakahuku
I didn't want to start a thread but I wonder if we had won the WCC tourney if we would be sitting in Gonzagas spot. Talk about instant karma. That would have been sweet to hear coach Koward in the interviews about facing BYU and the press would have been having a field day with all his BS. If only... :evil:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I'd rather be in BYU's #2 NIT seed position than Michigan State's #2 NCAA seed position right now.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.