Archived Topic

NIT Here We Come!

by byufan4ever · 3/9/2016

Advertisement
S
scott715
Says #3 vs UCI
B
byufan4ever
Oh, well, it gets updated daily. So we moved up!
E
EM_Puma
Compelling article at DesNews

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865649805/BYU-basketball-Evaluating-the-Cougars-possible-NIT-and-even-Vegas-16-scenarios.html?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



If faced with the option of playing a better opponent in the NIT, but on the road, would it be better to go to the Las Vegas 16 and host the games at home? Interesting question and I honestly don't know what I think. Usually I want the best opponent, but I'm not sure I want that if its on the road. It' almost like I'd want a commitment from the NIT for at least 1-2 games at home or we'll walk.



Any thoughts?
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:
Compelling article at DesNews

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865649805/BYU-basketball-Evaluating-the-Cougars-possible-NIT-and-even-Vegas-16-scenarios.html?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



If faced with the option of playing a better opponent in the NIT, but on the road, would it be better to go to the Las Vegas 16 and host the games at home? Interesting question and I honestly don't know what I think. Usually I want the best opponent, but I'm not sure I want that if its on the road. It' almost like I'd want a commitment from the NIT for at least 1-2 games at home or we'll walk.



Any thoughts?


I thought I read somewhere that BYU had an irreconcilable conflict at the Marriott Center the opening weekend of the NIT so BYU could not host its first round game.
Advertisement
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
Compelling article at DesNews

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865649805/BYU-basketball-Evaluating-the-Cougars-possible-NIT-and-even-Vegas-16-scenarios.html?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



If faced with the option of playing a better opponent in the NIT, but on the road, would it be better to go to the Las Vegas 16 and host the games at home? Interesting question and I honestly don't know what I think. Usually I want the best opponent, but I'm not sure I want that if its on the road. It' almost like I'd want a commitment from the NIT for at least 1-2 games at home or we'll walk.



Any thoughts?


I thought I read somewhere that BYU had an irreconcilable conflict at the Marriott Center the opening weekend of the NIT so BYU could not host its first round game.


They probably have the Pleasant Grove 32nd Ward Young Women's talent show and bake sale scheduled that weekend, which of course is far more important.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:
Compelling article at DesNews

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865649805/BYU-basketball-Evaluating-the-Cougars-possible-NIT-and-even-Vegas-16-scenarios.html?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



If faced with the option of playing a better opponent in the NIT, but on the road, would it be better to go to the Las Vegas 16 and host the games at home? Interesting question and I honestly don't know what I think. Usually I want the best opponent, but I'm not sure I want that if its on the road. It' almost like I'd want a commitment from the NIT for at least 1-2 games at home or we'll walk.



Any thoughts?


I thought I read somewhere that BYU had an irreconcilable conflict at the Marriott Center the opening weekend of the NIT so BYU could not host its first round game.


They probably have the Pleasant Grove 32nd Ward Young Women's talent show and bake sale scheduled that weekend, which of course is far more important.


Matthew 6:33, all day, all the way.
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Compelling article at DesNews

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865649805/BYU-basketball-Evaluating-the-Cougars-possible-NIT-and-even-Vegas-16-scenarios.html?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



If faced with the option of playing a better opponent in the NIT, but on the road, would it be better to go to the Las Vegas 16 and host the games at home? Interesting question and I honestly don't know what I think. Usually I want the best opponent, but I'm not sure I want that if its on the road. It' almost like I'd want a commitment from the NIT for at least 1-2 games at home or we'll walk.



Any thoughts?


I thought I read somewhere that BYU had an irreconcilable conflict at the Marriott Center the opening weekend of the NIT so BYU could not host its first round game.


They probably have the Pleasant Grove 32nd Ward Young Women's talent show and bake sale scheduled that weekend, which of course is far more important.


Matthew 6:33, all day, all the way.

Nailed it.
E
EM_Puma
Well I would have hoped that Samuel Benson from the Deseret News would have put forward enough effort on his article to have checked into such an issue. If that turns out to be true, then poor journalism on his part.



Usually the NIT doesn't start all games the same night and what kind of event would be scheduled in March that goes multiple days in the MC?
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:
Well I would have hoped that Samuel Benson from the Deseret News would have put forward enough effort on his article to have checked into such an issue. If that turns out to be true, then poor journalism on his part.



Usually the NIT doesn't start all games the same night and what kind of event would be scheduled in March that goes multiple days in the MC?


Evidently a temple cultural celebration:



http://www.utahvalley.com/includes/calendar-of-events/Provo-City-Center-Temple-Cultural-Celebration/17268/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Sorry that I misremembered and thought it was a first round game we cannot host--it is the weekend game--the second round game, so I half-remembered right.



What's going on at the McKay Events Center (UCCU Arena?) on Saturday?
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
But according to Jay Drew, that 2nd game as the range of Thursday through Monday. We could have a 2nd round on Monday correct?



That is, if we get by UAB. They scare me as I see people evaluate them, but there must have been something that landed us a #2 seed (BYU RPI 76) and them a #7 (UAB RPI 83). I guess in my mind, that's what I'm having the most trouble reconciling is how the Conference USA regular season champ fell so far from grace. Apparently that is the consequence in being the #1 seed in your conference tourney and then losing to #8 seed in you first game. Still makes them awfully dangerous.



The honest truth is that I'm still trying to reconcile likewise how BYU garnered a #2 seed. Someone liked us a bunch.
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:

The honest truth is that I'm still trying to reconcile likewise how BYU garnered a #2 seed. Someone liked us a bunch.


I remember reading sometime ago that the NIT factors home attendance into seeding. That may have given the Cougs a bump.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SenorCougar
Considering this is the NIT, how big is the UVU arena?
B
BroncoBot
Yeah, BYU could deinitely lose that game.
M
Mars
BroncoBot wrote:
Yeah, BYU could deinitely lose that game.

The line is surprisingly big. BYU by 8.5, I think. Home-court advantage? Did we only lose 2 home games this year?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.