S
SpiffCougIf I were on the offensive coaching staff, I'd be throwing my hat in the Tanner corner. My decision would be he is our starter. He is the QB who will get the majority of the offensive snaps in both spring and over most of the summer. This mainly based on Taysom not being 100% (or even close to 100% if Coach Detmer is to be believed). So if Taysom wants to be the starter he will need to outperform Tanner on limited reps because you have to move forward without Taysom until it is clear that he is fully back.
But even I can admit, if you want to argue Tanner is the BETTER QB based on what we've seen, it's a tough argument to make. I liked what I saw from Tanner more than what I've seen from Taysom. I see his style as more conducive to long-term success and more compatible with what Ty Detmer will likely want to run. I think his ceiling is higher. I think Tanner is the most talented passing QB we've had since Detmer.
But here are some stats in favor of Taysom, which do give me pause.
vs Teams .500 or better:
Taysom: 8-4 (.667) W/L record
233 of 395 (.590) for 2,786 yards with 17 TDs & 12 INTs for a 126.36 passer rating.
245 rushes for 1,326 yards (5.4 ypc) & 10 TDs.
BYU averaged 27.3 points.
Most points scored: 46 (Houston 2013)
Fewest points scored: 13 (Notre Dame 2013)
Games with a passer rating above 135: 6
Best win - in terms of opponent's victories: Utah St 2013 (9-4)
Biggest win - in terms of margin of victory: 27 points (Middle Tennessee [8-5], 2013)
Biggest loss: 15 points (Washington [9-4], 2013)
Tanner: 2-3 (.400) W/L record
103 of 191 (.539) for 1,175 yards with 7 TDs & 7 INTs for a 110.37 passer rating.
35 rushes for -72 yards (-2.1 ypc) & 2 TDs.
BYU averaged 24.8 points.
Most points scored: 38 (Cincinnati 2015)
Fewest points scored: 0 (Michigan 2015)
Games with a passer rating above 135: 2
Best win - in terms of opponent's victories: Boise St 2015 (9-4)
Biggest win - in terms of margin of victory: 14 points (Cincinnati [7-6], 2015)
Biggest loss: 31 points (Michigan [9-3], 2015)
But even I can admit, if you want to argue Tanner is the BETTER QB based on what we've seen, it's a tough argument to make. I liked what I saw from Tanner more than what I've seen from Taysom. I see his style as more conducive to long-term success and more compatible with what Ty Detmer will likely want to run. I think his ceiling is higher. I think Tanner is the most talented passing QB we've had since Detmer.
But here are some stats in favor of Taysom, which do give me pause.
vs Teams .500 or better:
Taysom: 8-4 (.667) W/L record
233 of 395 (.590) for 2,786 yards with 17 TDs & 12 INTs for a 126.36 passer rating.
245 rushes for 1,326 yards (5.4 ypc) & 10 TDs.
BYU averaged 27.3 points.
Most points scored: 46 (Houston 2013)
Fewest points scored: 13 (Notre Dame 2013)
Games with a passer rating above 135: 6
Best win - in terms of opponent's victories: Utah St 2013 (9-4)
Biggest win - in terms of margin of victory: 27 points (Middle Tennessee [8-5], 2013)
Biggest loss: 15 points (Washington [9-4], 2013)
Tanner: 2-3 (.400) W/L record
103 of 191 (.539) for 1,175 yards with 7 TDs & 7 INTs for a 110.37 passer rating.
35 rushes for -72 yards (-2.1 ypc) & 2 TDs.
BYU averaged 24.8 points.
Most points scored: 38 (Cincinnati 2015)
Fewest points scored: 0 (Michigan 2015)
Games with a passer rating above 135: 2
Best win - in terms of opponent's victories: Boise St 2015 (9-4)
Biggest win - in terms of margin of victory: 14 points (Cincinnati [7-6], 2015)
Biggest loss: 31 points (Michigan [9-3], 2015)

