Archived Topic

NFL combine - BYU's piss poor showing

by KingCoug · 2/11/2016

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
On the radio today, they were listing the instate players invited to the combine.



Utah has 6. Utah St has 3. SUU has 3.



How many did BYU have? 1. (Bronson Kafusi)



Reason #137 I'm glad the old coaching staff is gone.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
KingCoug wrote:
On the radio today, they were listing the instate players invited to the combine.



Utah has 6. Utah St has 3. SUU has 3.



How many did BYU have? 1. (Bronson Kafusi)



Reason #137 I'm glad the old coaching staff is gone.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Two questions - 1) who do you think should have been invited but wasn't?

2) how was it Bronco's fault that they weren't invited?



* Edit - for example an argument could be made that Matthews should have been invited to the camp, and maybe Sampson, but I'm not sure how Bronco is to blame for that oversight.
F
frdbtr
It'll be interesting to me what the people who are crowing about being glad Bronco is gone will say if/when Virginia wins more games than BYU next year.
K
KingCoug
ABYUFAN wrote:
On the radio today, they were listing the instate players invited to the combine.



Utah has 6. Utah St has 3. SUU has 3.



How many did BYU have? 1. (Bronson Kafusi)



Reason #137 I'm glad the old coaching staff is gone.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Two questions - 1) who do you think should have been invited but wasn't?

2) how was it Bronco's fault that they weren't invited?



* Edit - for example an argument could be made that Matthews should have been invited to the camp, and maybe Sampson, but I'm not sure how Bronco is to blame for that oversight.


It goes to the point of the number of BYU players going to the NFL really dropping off during Bronco's tenure and his staff's ability to develop players. Or did you just conveniently not notice that?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
This highlights Bronco's ability to get more out of less able players. We can only hope that the new coaching staff can continue to do the same unless our recruiting can improve dramatically.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
hawkwing wrote:
This highlights Bronco's ability to get more out of less able players. We can only hope that the new coaching staff can continue to do the same unless our recruiting can improve dramatically.


I suppose that's the glass is half full way of looking at it. I see it as a problem with his recruiting and development of players which, by the way, in part explains the Utes success against us.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
What I want to know is why weren't those SUU players on the roster. If they aren't LDS, I get it. If they are LDS, what this attests to is an inability to spot talent.



Come on guys. SUU has more players in the combine than BYU. That should NEVER happen for two reasons:

1) They should be on BYU's roster

2) BYU is a bigger/better program



Why make excuses for Bronco? He left BYU and he sucked at getting players to the NFL. He practically admitted as such. Rather than sell a dream he brought a strong dose of reality, complete with percentages and charts with him on recruiting trips - here kid, let me tell you why your dream is a fool's errand.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:
It'll be interesting to me what the people who are crowing about being glad Bronco is gone will say if/when Virginia wins more games than BYU next year.


I'm not sure what your point is. Bronco's success or failure at Virginia and what he did here is apples and bowling balls. He could go undefeated there and it wouldn't change the fact that he hit a plateau - more like a wall - after 2009. In fact, the best thing you can say about his last 6 years at BYU was that he fielded a legit top 10 defense in 2012. But if course it went largely to waste because of our inept offense.


Gunk wrote:
What I want to know is why weren't those SUU players on the roster. If they aren't LDS, I get it. If they are LDS, what this attests to is an inability to spot talent.



Come on guys. SUU has more players in the combine than BYU. That should NEVER happen for two reasons:

1) They should be on BYU's roster

2) BYU is a bigger/better program



Why make excuses for Bronco? He left BYU and he sucked at getting players to the NFL. He practically admitted as such. Rather than sell a dream he brought a strong dose of reality, complete with percentages and charts with him on recruiting trips - here kid, let me tell you why your dream is a fool's errand.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


All good questions. But it's like some on this forum are hesitant to ask them lest it cast our former coach in a bad light. Or they spin things, trying to turn a negative into a positive somehow. I mean, those combine numbers aren't some anomaly. They are indicative of a trend at BYU under Bronco. Any objective fan would find it alarming. But, no, let's just go into automatic spin mode.



It's very simple. If we want to play with the big boys, we need to act like we belong. That means we match most P5 schools in recruiting. And the ones we don't we beat with superior preparation and scheme. It means we beat P5 and ranked teams at least as often as we lose to them. And it sure as heck means we don't lose to Utah 5 times in a row.



Bronco did none of that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
KingCoug wrote:
But it's like some on this forum are hesitant to ask them lest it cast our former coach in a bad light. Or they spin things, trying to turn a negative into a positive somehow. I mean, those combine numbers aren't some anomaly. They are indicative of a trend at BYU under Bronco. Any objective fan would find it alarming. But, no, let's just go into automatic spin mode.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

At this point, all of those concerns about Bronco are now completely irrelevant and pointless to even discuss further. He is no longer here. That's not spin. That's a fact. Who cares how many players Bronco had invited to the combine? Those players won't help BYU win games in 2016. Bronco won't help BYU win games in 2016. It doesn't matter any more. Move on.
M
MileHighCougarFan
I can see the frustration. But I think a few things should be considered.



First, without injuries, players dropping out/not playing, etc., at least two other players likely would have been part of the combine. Namely Taysom and Jamaal. And with a few more games we could definitely had a tight-end in the mix.



We had a young offense and have a lot of upcoming talent.



Attending the combine is not a guarantee of anything, other than having a stage to exhibit talent and abilities. It is not the only stage, but certainly an important one.



I have very high hopes that at least one WR will slip in the back door and get looked at.
Advertisement
S
SenorCougar
I wonder how BYU got into a bowl game with only 1 NFL talent? Who made that happen?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Screamineagle
MileHighCougarFan wrote:
I can see the frustration. But I think a few things should be considered.



First, without injuries, players dropping out/not playing, etc., at least two other players likely would have been part of the combine. Namely Taysom and Jamaal. And with a few more games we could definitely had a tight-end in the mix.



We had a young offense and have a lot of upcoming talent.



Attending the combine is not a guarantee of anything, other than having a stage to exhibit talent and abilities. It is not the only stage, but certainly an important one.



I have very high hopes that at least one WR will slip in the back door and get looked at.

Good points.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
But it's like some on this forum are hesitant to ask them lest it cast our former coach in a bad light. Or they spin things, trying to turn a negative into a positive somehow. I mean, those combine numbers aren't some anomaly. They are indicative of a trend at BYU under Bronco. Any objective fan would find it alarming. But, no, let's just go into automatic spin mode.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

At this point, all of those concerns about Bronco are now completely irrelevant and pointless to even discuss further. He is no longer here. That's not spin. That's a fact. Who cares how many players Bronco had invited to the combine? Those players won't help BYU win games in 2016. Bronco won't help BYU win games in 2016. It doesn't matter any more. Move on.


I agree with this and is why I comment negatively to those who persist in continuing to talk crap about the guy. Bronco did a really good job while he was here, we won a lot of football games. I don't know what happened in 2011 with utah but after that beat down, BYU never played the same again against the utes. In fact you could probably claim that it all started in the 4th quarter of 2010 that the utes got into our heads for good. I have serious concerns about the new coaching staff being able to do anything other than recruit and if they lose a bunch of games, the recruiting will go out of the window too. We had a proven commodity and he is now at Virginia. All we have now is a ton of hype with the new coaches who have proven nothing (other than Lamb). I hope they figure things out real quick and we start winning a lot of games but Kalani has a LOT to prove before he even gets to Bronco's current level.
K
KingCoug
SenorCougar wrote:
I wonder how BYU got into a bowl game with only 1 NFL talent? Who made that happen?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


You mean the bowl game that was all but over by the end of the 1st quarter while Bronco stood on the sidelines with his patented constipated look. The one that ended with a 5th straight loss to our arch rival? That bowl game?


frdbtr wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
But it's like some on this forum are hesitant to ask them lest it cast our former coach in a bad light. Or they spin things, trying to turn a negative into a positive somehow. I mean, those combine numbers aren't some anomaly. They are indicative of a trend at BYU under Bronco. Any objective fan would find it alarming. But, no, let's just go into automatic spin mode.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

At this point, all of those concerns about Bronco are now completely irrelevant and pointless to even discuss further. He is no longer here. That's not spin. That's a fact. Who cares how many players Bronco had invited to the combine? Those players won't help BYU win games in 2016. Bronco won't help BYU win games in 2016. It doesn't matter any more. Move on.


I agree with this and is why I comment negatively to those who persist in continuing to talk crap about the guy. Bronco did a really good job while he was here, we won a lot of football games. I don't know what happened in 2011 with utah but after that beat down, BYU never played the same again against the utes. In fact you could probably claim that it all started in the 4th quarter of 2010 that the utes got into our heads for good. I have serious concerns about the new coaching staff being able to do anything other than recruit and if they lose a bunch of games, the recruiting will go out of the window too. We had a proven commodity and he is now at Virginia. All we have now is a ton of hype with the new coaches who have proven nothing (other than Lamb). I hope they figure things out real quick and we start winning a lot of games but Kalani has a LOT to prove before he even gets to Bronco's current level.


The above post is one reason I still harp on Bronco. Because, despite all that's happened over the past 5 or 6 years there are people who actually still wish he was here.



I got news for you. As long as Bronco was at BYU and Kyle was at Utah, we were never...NEVER...going to win another rivalry game. And a 5th straight loss was reason enough to fire him if he wasn't already leaving. [Removed by moderator]



And hide and watch. Those people will be the first ones to whine if we struggle this year, despite a complete coaching overhaul and toughest schedule ever. Nevermind Bronco struggled his first season against a MWC schedule.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byufan4ever
KingCoug wrote:

I got news for you. As long as Bronco was at BYU and Kyle was at Utah, we were never...NEVER...going to win another rivalry game. And a 5th straight loss was reason enough to fire him if he wasn't already leaving. Those who can't comprehend that need to wrap their lips around a revolver.


What the hell? You got major issues dude.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I'm sorry, I didn't notice the inappropriate post before. I've edited the original post to remove the offensive, bullying comments and issued a warning to KingCoug that that kind of behavior is not permitted on CougarCorner.com.



My apologies to everyone for not having caught it earlier.
K
KingCoug
(with) tongue in cheek

adjective & adverb adjective: tongue-in-cheek; adverb: tongue-in-cheek

1. without really meaning what one is saying or writing.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:
I wonder how BYU got into a bowl game with only 1 NFL talent? Who made that happen?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


You mean the bowl game that was all but over by the end of the 1st quarter while Bronco stood on the sidelines with his patented constipated look. The one that ended with a 5th straight loss to our arch rival? That bowl game?


frdbtr wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
But it's like some on this forum are hesitant to ask them lest it cast our former coach in a bad light. Or they spin things, trying to turn a negative into a positive somehow. I mean, those combine numbers aren't some anomaly. They are indicative of a trend at BYU under Bronco. Any objective fan would find it alarming. But, no, let's just go into automatic spin mode.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

At this point, all of those concerns about Bronco are now completely irrelevant and pointless to even discuss further. He is no longer here. That's not spin. That's a fact. Who cares how many players Bronco had invited to the combine? Those players won't help BYU win games in 2016. Bronco won't help BYU win games in 2016. It doesn't matter any more. Move on.


I agree with this and is why I comment negatively to those who persist in continuing to talk crap about the guy. Bronco did a really good job while he was here, we won a lot of football games. I don't know what happened in 2011 with utah but after that beat down, BYU never played the same again against the utes. In fact you could probably claim that it all started in the 4th quarter of 2010 that the utes got into our heads for good. I have serious concerns about the new coaching staff being able to do anything other than recruit and if they lose a bunch of games, the recruiting will go out of the window too. We had a proven commodity and he is now at Virginia. All we have now is a ton of hype with the new coaches who have proven nothing (other than Lamb). I hope they figure things out real quick and we start winning a lot of games but Kalani has a LOT to prove before he even gets to Bronco's current level.


The above post is one reason I still harp on Bronco. Because, despite all that's happened over the past 5 or 6 years there are people who actually still wish he was here.



I got news for you. As long as Bronco was at BYU and Kyle was at Utah, we were never...NEVER...going to win another rivalry game. And a 5th straight loss was reason enough to fire him if he wasn't already leaving. [Removed by moderator]



And hide and watch. Those people will be the first ones to whine if we struggle this year, despite a complete coaching overhaul and toughest schedule ever. Nevermind Bronco struggled his first season against a MWC schedule.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I am going to make a prediction right here. You will stop supporting the current coaching staff before I do if/when they don't meet your expectations. Frankly Kalani's expectations by most fans are already unattainable and people like you will be calling for his head shortly after losing to utah for the 6th straight time next year.
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:
I'm going to make a prediction right here. You will stop supporting the current coaching staff before I do if/when they don't meet your expectations. Frankly Kalani's expectations by most fans are already unattainable and people like you will be calling for his head shortly after losing to utah for the 6th straight time next year.


You obviously haven't been paying attention. I've already said I'm going easy on the new staff the first season due to the total overhaul and killer schedule. I did the same with Bronco in 2005.



My expectations:



Return to double digit win seasons more often than not and eventually break through to an undefeated season.



Win a NY6 bowl game



Win almost all of our bowl games



Beat P5 teams at least as often as we lose to them



Beat Utah at least as often as we lose to them



Beat Utah more often than not in head to head recruiting



Never lose to Utah State



Start developing players and sending them to the NFL again



High expectations but not impossible or unrealistic. Every fan...real fan...should have these expectations. No wonder those that don't were satisfied with Bronco.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
Ugh...last year's team had the most talent on it in the history of the program, and most of it was young. Of all the draft eligible prospects, aside from Mathews, who makes sense at the combine that isn't going?



Once the administration finally backed off of the over enforcement of the honor code, Bronco and staff were able to get the guys like Blackmon in the door.



I do wish Bronco's staff did have better NFL relationships...but he won a ton of games.



Sitake will not likely win at the same rate Bronco did, because winning 70% of your games is really hard. Will BYU fans be OK with winning 55-60% of games? Not likely. Will they be OK with losing records the next 2 years? Nope. If BYU doesn't beat a depleted Utah team week 2, they might not win a game until game 5, and then not again until November.



Mangum may just be special enough to get us to .500 next year, but I don't think ao.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.