Archived Topic

Firesides: Likely Going Away.

by stuckinbig10country · 2/4/2016

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
First off, I never went to any of the firesides, so I have no first hand knowledge of how they went. Many people who have gone have praised them. Have they outlived their usefulness? I don't know. I think they were a great way for the team to interact with the fan base, especially when they went to new places.



I still don't know why this became such a lightning rod issue. The players were not required to attend or participate. It took place at a time where the alternative was sitting in a hotel room and maybe playing video games, or doing homework (maybe).



Oh, and let's not forget something that should be important to BYU fans/members of the Church: IT WAS A DIRECT ANSWER TO PRAYER!



But apparently, it's too much to ask a return missionary to share a 5 minute talk because it would be too hard to focus on the game. Kalani is the 2nd returned missionary head coach at BYU. My understanding was Bronco didn't take too much time, and it was a basic gospel principle every time. Kalani seems to like to talk to people and fans. I think this would be right up his ally.



The positives of the firesides seem to outweigh the negatives by a lot. Interaction with fans, advancing the cause of the university/church, showing that football isn't the end all be all (which is actually an important lesson), oh and the fact that without firesides Kyle Van Noy never plays at BYU (and given his history, likely makes some pretty bad choices).



But hey, what do I know.
E
EM_Puma
I have mixed feelings because I did always wonder if such events took the team's focus away from the game, but as has been pointed out, what else would these players be doing that would really add to their ability to win the game that week?



I went to one of the firesides and I liked it. It was well received by the fan base abroad and there have been countless associated "good feeling" stories that have come from them. I don't think I would dismiss the idea if my only feeling was that the players should be focusing on the game only on the night before.



I've had a day to ponder this topic and I actually believe that KS should continue to support this idea and then make a decision rather than simply rejecting it because it had nothing to do with the game-at-hand. Continue a tradition and then evaluate it with tangible evidence. I believe this is too big of a decision to make without ever having experienced the event.
S
scott715
I am not happy with this direction. I attended two of them. I think it is good for recruiting, the church and for the players. It is only an hour long. Cut down their time if it is a distraction. Maybe make it a testimony meeting or more music but keep it.
G
Guest
I've always liked the firesides, they were an important fan experience and recruiting tool.
S
scott715
Another point is that it grows our fan base. At Boise it was telecasted to a number of stake centers in the area. We need to get more of the casual fans/members excited. KS can do that.
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
I agree with you guys. Everything I could ever see about the firesides was good. Even the fact that it got the goats of the red devils to the north was a positive. Maybe that is where KC got the negative attitude about them, but I think he should reconsider. BYU is a unique place with a unique mission, which should always be the prime focus of our flagship program. The firesides have always performed very well in that regard (the mission of BYU), and have many upsides. I think if KC would try it before abandoning, he would find that there really is no downside.
B
bigbluepuma
scott715 wrote:
Another point is that it grows our fan base. At Boise it was telecasted to a number of stake centers in the area. We need to get more of the casual fans/members excited. KS can do that.


You are absolutely right. I grew up in Boise. Although I was interested in BYU, I was more a Boise State fan until I got some positive exposure to BYU by watching BYU (with Dick Namelka and Jeff Congdon) play in and win the NIT. I have been a blue goggled BYU homer ever since. Obviously, that was before they became a national power, but that positive experience has made all the difference. Ask Kyle VanNoy if one positive experience can change a mindset and attitude, and turn a life in a whole different direction.
S
Stirfry
I'd absolutely keep them. In addition to what's been said I really liked hearing about the non Mormon players that talked at them about their faith even if it wasn't the Mormon faith.



Giving a group of 18-23 year old guys something positive to do on a Friday night when they're all hanging out together out of town can't be a bad thing.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
My son-in-law is not a BYU fan but loves college football and sports in general. He grew up in a very dysfunctional environment, made a friend in high school and was basically taken in by this friend's family and was converted to the Gospel, and was baptized at 18, and was off serving a mission a year or so later. He and my youngest daughter were married a little over 3 years ago and I have done my best to convince him that becoming a blue-goggled BYU homer would put the finishing touches on his true conversion. We have been to several football and basketball games these past 3 years, but he always stood firm in his anti-BYU stance. He is a huge Nebraska fan and as a surprise anniversary present my daughter got him tickets to the BYU/Nebraska game in Lincoln last year. I convinced them to attend the fireside the night before the game, and they took me up on the suggestion. When they came home, my son-in-law went on and on about the fireside. Yes the game and the hail-mary and all that was amazing, but it was the fireside that truly made the biggest impression. My son-in-law saw Bronco in an entirely different light, saw the program in an entirely different light, and gained a completely newfound respect for BYU and it's student-athletes. IMO I would hate to see this part of the program go by the wayside.
B
byufan4ever
Anyone who has not been to a fireside cannot appreciate how great they are and what a truly outstanding person Bronco is.



See what I wrote here about my fireside experience before the Missouri game:



http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19040&start=100#p218205



Without the fireside I'm not sure the rest of the pre-game activities even occur. And Nick Kurtz (non-LDS) said that while he was being recruited by BYU all of his friends told him how big of a mistake it would be but that they were all wrong! "I wouldn't get a chance to talk in front of a large crowd at another school" (estimated 1,500 people packed into the stake center).



I'm sorry, but this is really going to rub me the wrong way if the firesides go away. I know it was a Bronco thing and he wants everyone to know that he's not Bronco, but my opinion of him just went down if they go away.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
When /where did someone suggest the fire sides were going away?
B
bamf3000
I honestly dont know much about them and dont know how religious they are, but I could see it both ways. If they kept it pretty open and comfortable for all players/fans, I think its a good way to reach out to fans and give our players an opportunity to reflect on things. At the same time, I dont think it should be a church heavy event.



Maybe he will continue them in some other fashion? What do most other schools do instead?
S
scott715
KS made the comments yesterday. I saw it all over twitter. This thread has quoted him accurately. We shall see what happens.
B
BYULV
bamf3000 wrote:
I honestly dont know much about them and dont know how religious they are, but I could see it both ways. If they kept it pretty open and comfortable for all players/fans, I think its a good way to reach out to fans and give our players an opportunity to reflect on things. At the same time, I dont think it should be a church heavy event.



Maybe he will continue them in some other fashion? What do most other schools do instead?


Not sure how changing the fire sides to a more secular format benefits anyone. The fire sides are probably the best thing Bronco did for the program while he was here. They were extremely popular, standing room only to the three I have been to. They are run by the players. They are voluntary and both members and non members attend and talk if they choose to. It brings a more down to earth real people feeling to BYU and the coaches and athletes. I think it is one of the few forums out there that gives people a real glimpse into why BYU is a special place without coming across as "holier than thou". You couldn't attend the fireside and hate the ByU football program after, unless you were blinded by Uteness
S
Schmoe
I just don't like Sitake's reasoning for getting rid of them. "Imagine having to prepare a talk then focus on your opponent."



Really? Like I'm not focused on being great at my job, being an awesome dad, husband, neighbor, friend, and getting stuff done the week I have to give a talk in church? It's some huge distraction? I think there's a silly idea out there that you can't possibly be spiritual and play football, like they're somehow diametrically opposed. Like the armies of Helaman and Capt. Moroni didn't worship while they were at war, defending ferociously their lands and their freedom. This bugs me.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I don't believe I've ever witnessed on a fan sports website so many people in basic agreement on a topic that actually was a bit controversial in the SL media. Hmm.
S
Screamineagle
Schmoe wrote:
I just don't like Sitake's reasoning for getting rid of them. "Imagine having to prepare a talk then focus on your opponent."



Really? Like I'm not focused on being great at my job, being an awesome dad, husband, neighbor, friend, and getting stuff done the week I have to give a talk in church? It's some huge distraction? I think there's a silly idea out there that you can't possibly be spiritual and play football, like they're somehow diametrically opposed. Like the armies of Helaman and Capt. Moroni didn't worship while they were at war, defending ferociously their lands and their freedom. This bugs me.

Agreed and I have found the weeks I give talks or prepare lessons help me concentrate on spiritual things a little more things actually seem to go better.Doing away with the firesides will be a mistake.
B
BYULV
It's not like these guys are giving deep doctrinal talks that require a lot of preparation, they are sharing experiences and how they have gotten through trials or overcome adversity. Maybe some guys throw a scripture, but it isn't anymore distracting than doing homework, reading a novel, playing video games, emailing friends, etc. I don't think Sitake had ever been to a BYU football fireside before and is just going off of what Ute Nation thinks about them. Tom Holmoe and the upperclassmen need to teach the Coach what this tradition is all about.
S
stuckinbig10country
BYULV wrote:
It's not like these guys are giving deep doctrinal talks that require a lot of preparation, they are sharing experiences and how they have gotten through trials or overcome adversity. Maybe some guys throw a scripture, but it isn't anymore distracting than doing homework, reading a novel, playing video games, emailing friends, etc. I don't think Sitake had ever been to a BYU football fireside before and is just going off of what Ute Nation thinks about them. Tom Holmoe and the upperclassmen need to teach the Coach what this tradition is all about.


Problem is, I think Holmoe doesn't care if anything is left from the Mendenhall era. Only 2 people at the University have said anything about Bronco without being asked directly: Kalani and Ty. Both have been very complimentary. Outside of that, unless asked a direct question, no one has even acknowledged he was there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
Everyone doesn't do things the same way. I'll trust him with the leeway to do what he feels is most important.



Edit note: It let me up vote my own post to counteract the down vote someone gave me. :lol:
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.