Archived Topic

BYU a developmental school?

by Florwood · 1/27/2016

Advertisement
F
Florwood
Mitch Harper on the radio classified BYU as a developmental school, meaning (I think) that they can generally only get players that still need development to be good D1 players. And that they will always be that because of the constraints in the kinds of players they can attract.



Don't almost all players coming into college still need development? How is this different than 95% of all D1 universities?
W
Wolverine
Who is Mitch Harper???



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Wolverine wrote:
Who is Mitch Harper???



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Does BYU reporting for KFAN, also part of the CougarCenter podcast.
W
Wolverine
hawkwing wrote:
Who is Mitch Harper???



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Does BYU reporting for KFAN, also part of the CougarCenter podcast.

I will admit that by living out of state that I do not know my Utah sports talk radio personalities. Would he be considered in the developmental school level of sports broadcasting/journalism, or is he at the Alabama level of sports broadcasting/journalism?
E
EM_Puma
Developmental school huh? I don't know. We rarely recruit 5-star athletes--in fact, we can count them on one hand for the last decade, but that's probably true of like 90% or more of the FBS teams. So the Ohio States, Alabamas and Notre Dames do recruit at a higher level than most all the rest, but we've often seen that it takes more than just great players to really pull a great team together and that's why there are occasionally schools like Clemson that can come out on top.



So being that most all of us are in that same boat, I don't know that it was that much of a downer comment. BYU will always have a different type of player than is the norm, not only for the HC, but also for the academics. It's hard to argue that and generally it's probably only every half century or so when all the cosmic tumblers combine to make a year very exceptional (1984, 1996), but every year we can have that hope because we do bring in a consistent top 70-40 or better recruiting team (I admit I don't know exactly what our average has been).
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
BYU seems to be a developmental school just as any other. Occasionally we get to "develop" someone like Ziggy Ansah, but I think just about anyone can come and thrive at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Wolverine wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
Who is Mitch Harper???



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Does BYU reporting for KFAN, also part of the CougarCenter podcast.

I will admit that by living out of state that I do not know my Utah sports talk radio personalities. Would he be considered in the developmental school level of sports broadcasting/journalism, or is he at the Alabama level of sports broadcasting/journalism?


Definitely in the start of his career and developing.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.