Archived Topic

Get the Taysom Hill to Virginia rumors started

by Fido · 1/25/2016

Advertisement
F
Fido
691733085902090240
G
Guest
I'm a big fan of the Outback. Give me Aussie Cheese Fries and a Victoria's Filet and broccoli any day of the week.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I think they have a good surf n turf also.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
No one in Australia has heard of Outback Steakhouse.



But really, Outback Steakhouse? Virginia must really have spent all their money on their coaches' salaries.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Sooooooooooooo....the elephant in the room---BYU gave Hill permission to talk to other teams?
Advertisement
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
Sooooooooooooo....the elephant in the room---BYU gave Hill permission to talk to other teams?

Does he need permission? Thought he graduated. I'm not familiar with the rules.



That's a big elephant. I have no issue Hill leaving. If he wants to go play in the same offense that landed him in a stretcher, by all means, transfer. I think BYU I better served without a QB controversy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
Gunk wrote:
Sooooooooooooo....the elephant in the room---BYU gave Hill permission to talk to other teams?

Does he need permission? Thought he graduated. I'm not familiar with the rules.



That's a big elephant. I have no issue Hill leaving. If he wants to go play in the same offense that landed him in a stretcher, by all means, transfer. I think BYU I better served without a QB controversy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I'm in this camp as well. I want TH to do whatever he thinks best and wish him well in whatever that might be, but I would rather have no QB controversy as well. There will be enough to overcome with the schedule and a new staff in place.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
I wish TH well. He's smart. I'm sure he will figure out the best path for him. But from where I'm standing, as I see it, he has a choice to be coached and directed by a heisman QB who had a long NFL career, or go to a bottom feeder school with really no FB tradition and be coached by a former second string QB. Not trying to be mean or anything, but those are the facts.
B
BYULV
This was not a serious recruitment lunch, otherwise it would not have taken place at outback. Serious recruitment meals aim for maximum use of the free meal for both parties involved.
S
scott715
TH has not graduated yet so Beck would need permission to speak to him.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
scott715 wrote:
TH has not graduated yet so Beck would need permission to speak to him.


This.



Also, for Hill to use the Graduate Transfer Waiver, he must enroll in a graduate program that BYU does not offer. It can't simply be a better MBA than what BYU offers, it must be a degree /program that BYU simply can't give him.
B
BYULV
snoscythe wrote:
TH has not graduated yet so Beck would need permission to speak to him.


This.



Also, for Hill to use the Graduate Transfer Waiver, he must enroll in a graduate program that BYU does not offer. It can't simply be a better MBA than what BYU offers, it must be a degree /program that BYU simply can't give him.


What if it's just lunch with an old friend, is that allowed? Or is it taboo now that he coaches elsewhere? NCAA rules are kinda lame regardless.
C
Cougarfan87
Personally, I think Beck was just trying to get some inside information from Hill on any mind blowing offensive strategies Ty has shared with him yet. ;)



I have mixed emotions on the QB controversy. Would Mangum be willing to take a year off? Would Taysom be as effective after another injury? Knowing what he has done in the past, don't you have to give him a chance? Can you run a two QB system? With mature people, you really can play two and it will be alright, a la Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. The problem is, you rarely have two people mature enough to handle it. I think these guys may be, but I am not sure how you decide who to bring in when. From my recollection, Chris Leak drove the team down the field between the 20s, and then Tebow would be there to get them in the end zone once they were closer. I'm not so sure that would work with BYU. Because Taysom was great at moving the team down the field, and Mangum was also good in the red zone...so they are not as complementary of each other as Tebow and Leak (Tebow still needed development to drive the team down the field, but was a beast in the Red Zone). These are all questions that I am glad we have some really smart guys like Ty Detmer to answer. I'll just enjoy the ride whatever happens.
S
stuckinbig10country
I know the rules say players have to transfer to a school that offers a different graduate program, but there are clearly ways around that. Even if it's just an emphasis in the same type of program not offered.



For example, I have a hard time believing that NC State didn't offer a graduate degree in whatever Russell Wilson transferred into at Wisconsin. I also have a really hard time believing Marquette had a program BYU didn't offer when Matt Carlino transferred.
S
snoscythe
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I know the rules say players have to transfer to a school that offers a different graduate program, but there are clearly ways around that. Even if it's just an emphasis in the same type of program not offered.



For example, I have a hard time believing that NC State didn't offer a graduate degree in whatever Russell Wilson transferred into at Wisconsin. I also have a really hard time believing Marquette had a program BYU didn't offer when Matt Carlino transferred.


On further investigation, you are right. I guess the rule was changed recently to remove the "different program" qualifier.



However, the student still needs to be released by the previous school, which NC State did for Wilson cuz they were peeved he was skipping parts of Spring Ball to work out with the Colorado Rockies: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6451302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.