Archived Topic

Kyle played one heck of a game against LMU

by Brayden Green · 1/22/2016

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
I started the "Kyle's Selfishness is losing BYU games post" so it is only fair I start this one.



I feel that thread still holds true. But, Kyle played one heck of a game. Probably the best game I have seen him play in a few years.



He passed early and often.



He looked for the open guy.



I think he only forced maybe one shot all night.



Just a great game from Collinsworth and the Cougars.



He was aggresive on the boards and did a good job.



(Had too many turnovers, but I'm going to let it slide... ;) )



Good for him! He keeps playing like this, BYU is a hard team to beat.
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes. 3-1 assist to turnover is pretty dang good. And yes a few more careless and selfish TOs.



So Bray, if he keeps "playing like this" you probably will have to concede that there is no one better to be PG on this team, right? He will be 1st team WCC. He will likely be 2nd or 3rd team All-American. Several records at BYU. And apparently he learned a lesson after Portland.
S
scott715
Does a triple double machine increase our chance at a bid? Do they consider teams that would give an entertaining game?
B
byufan4ever
Was unable to watch the game. But here are how the players performed:


LMU.PNG

One heck of a game by Collinsworth, but many others stepped as well, perhaps because of KC distributing it so well.
B
Brayden Green
byufan4ever wrote:
Was unable to watch the game. But here are how the players performed:


LMU.PNG

One heck of a game by Collinsworth, but many others stepped as well, perhaps because of KC distributing it so well.


Exactly. This team was night and day different, and it started with Kyle getting 5he ball out of his hand early and often and moving without the ball.



To Cougs Rule's question, no, I don't think Kyle is the best point on the team. If Cougs had watched the game you wouldn't have to ask that. But you didnt, right?



I am a season ticket holder and have seen every televised BYU game for the last decade. Kyle played without the ball last night, partly because of the press they ran the first half, and partly because of how he played. He played with a mission last night and that mission was to pass early and often and move without the ball. That is the best I have seen BYU play in a few years. The LMU game was a very good game, and showed BYU a tourney team. It's like I have said all along this season their Seniors need to get out of the way and play on the same team as everyone else. They did that. We won a very good game against a team that shot 80 freaking percent in the first half and 90 from 3 point land.



Byu should not have won that game, they played as a team and did. If Kyle does that every game we have a chance, but that is because he is doing less with the ball and relying on his teammates.



Night and day difference between the two games. Kyle played within the game and let the game come to him, and good for him. BYU has a lot of talent when one player doesn't dominate the ball and force bad possessions.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BlueK
scott715 wrote:
Does a triple double machine increase our chance at a bid? Do they consider teams that would give an entertaining game?


They're human, but no, it shouldn't make any difference.. BYU needs good wins on the resume. That's what matters. The NCAA's view is that the tournament is enormously popular already and there are multiple games being played at the same time. So most of the time at least one of them is going to be exciting enough to draw the viewers at each moment. So in their view it's more important to just invite the best teams they can according to the criteria they use and the excitement of it will take care of itself.
S
scott715
That's what they say but is that really what happens? The game last year verses Ole Miss was one of the most entertaining first round game of the tourney. Maybe that helps us off the bubble. If all things were equal, it might get us in if we are close to the line.
B
BlueK
scott715 wrote:
That's what they say but is that really what happens? The game last year verses Ole Miss was one of the most entertaining first round game of the tourney. Maybe that helps us off the bubble. If all things were equal, it might get us in if we are close to the line.


Maybe, but you can always make a numerical case for any of the last few teams that get in vs. the ones that don't. The margins are razor thin. One thing is certain. If your numbers aren't there and clearly below the rest, it doesn't matter.
S
scott715
And maybe the P5 card is the one that gets the team picked but they deny it.
S
snoscythe
Key = 6 fga on the game. That's what a Coach Rose PG needs should be doing in this offense.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
Key = 6 fga on the game. That's what a Coach Rose PG needs should be doing in this offense.


Yep. I wish that basketball counted assists on the second to last pass and not just the last pass when shot in succession, because that outlet pass is key to BYU's success in getting out in transition and Kcoll has been hesitant to throw it before this game. As I have mentioned, I think that is because he wants the assist.



To his credit he threw the outlet all night long, and it was the best BYU has played this season except for maybe one other game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
imuakahuku
I think I watched a different game last night. I saw a team that played terrible defense in the first half and that struggled in the half court game. We played helter skelter at times and it was frustrating. It looked like they didn't know what to do on offense. Please tell me that Rose does not have a play that has Austin taking a lot of jumpers from just inside the three point line. There was also more standing around in the first half. I remember one play where Austin got trapped near the corner and the other four players stood where they were waving their an arm. I was in disbelief! GUARDS GO TO THE BALL, BIGS MOVE AND GET OPEN BUT DON'T EVERYONE JUST STAND THERE!



I think the key last night was our defense. It led to so many open shots on the other end (and KC was the catalyst of that defense). It seems to me that we really struggle to get good looks in the half court offense so the shots don't fall. When our guys are running the floor they seem to be more confident and they make more of their shots.



Kudos to not one but two players (one BYU and one LMU) who tried to make a statement dunk and got rejected by the rim :blush: . Better luck next time guys!
Q
Qman
This team has a pattern of either not having a good game plan or not being disciplined in executing it.



We play a 1-3-1, man and a 2-3 matchup at times on D. But we haven't mastered any of them as a team. There doesn't seem to a lot of coaching on how to force guys into help spots or on where the help should be on D. If we knew our base D then we could make effective adjusts for each opponent and at half time.



Offensively we do similar things. We aren't a flex offense or 4-out or anything. We have a few set plays that work fairly well, but when someone clamps down we can't get anything out of basic set. So then KC or Fischer have to create something. Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't.



I don't know how much of this was Rose or his assistants. But when Rice was here our Man defense was much more disciplined.



I like the overall talent Rose has brought in and the effort level of the team. But great teams know how to get stops and clutch buckets. Right now the coaching staff hasn't prepared them for that.





Now on the LMU game- we gave a decent effort in the 1st half but apparently being on BYUTV motivated them to a great first half. I liked how Emery was trying to get to the rim.



Their big guy Jacko was killing us. So Coach Rose did the obvious thing- he put his 'PG' KC on him. KC slowed him way down and maintained his offensive production. KC is a great player. I think his selflessness tonight was more a product of the LMU leaving guys open for him to pass to all night long.



Also Seljaas got the start in the 2nd half to spark out offense.



It was a fun game and we pulled off a nice road win. But I haven't seen the progress I hoped to see as the year as gone on.
B
BlueK
We outscored them by 21 points in the second half. The second half was a completely different game on both ends. The offense was excellent in half 2 and the efficiency numbers back up that claim. The defense also improved statistically for sure, and there were more big plays there and the effort did seem a little better to me.
B
BoiseBYU
KC's talent or gift to me is that he can make everyone else so much better. Lots of other good or talented players cannot do that. Last night he made the team look good, very good. And last night was proof the KC does not need to score for the team to do well.
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
Qman wrote:
This team has a pattern of either not having a good game plan or not being disciplined in executing it.



We play a 1-3-1, man and a 2-3 matchup at times on D. But we haven't mastered any of them as a team. There doesn't seem to a lot of coaching on how to force guys into help spots or on where the help should be on D. If we knew our base D then we could make effective adjusts for each opponent and at half time.



Offensively we do similar things. We aren't a flex offense or 4-out or anything. We have a few set plays that work fairly well, but when someone clamps down we can't get anything out of basic set. So then KC or Fischer have to create something. Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't.



I don't know how much of this was Rose or his assistants. But when Rice was here our Man defense was much more disciplined.



I like the overall talent Rose has brought in and the effort level of the team. But great teams know how to get stops and clutch buckets. Right now the coaching staff hasn't prepared them for that.





Now on the LMU game- we gave a decent effort in the 1st half but apparently being on BYUTV motivated them to a great first half. I liked how Emery was trying to get to the rim.



Their big guy Jacko was killing us. So Coach Rose did the obvious thing- he put his 'PG' KC on him. KC slowed him way down and maintained his offensive production. KC is a great player. I think his selflessness tonight was more a product of the LMU leaving guys open for him to pass to all night long.



Also Seljaas got the start in the 2nd half to spark out offense.



It was a fun game and we pulled off a nice road win. But I haven't seen the progress I hoped to see as the year as gone on.


Great analysis. I have to imagine that it all drives Rose insane. He has forgotten more about bball than I will ever know so I'm sure he is aware of it. I know the team is young but we do have three very good seniors.



On a different note. Wow on Aytes! I think he is trying to make plays and it just blows up in his face.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.