Archived Topic

Ben Cahoon hired as WR Coach

by snoscythe · 1/20/2016

Advertisement
F
Fido
Agreed. I think he is a good hire.
G
Guest
Glad to see him back, was surprised when he wasn't retained by Anae.
S
scott715
So why did this take so long? Negotiating money? Other candidates? Had to get out of his other job?
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I, frankly, felt our receivers were too soft until Holladay instilled some toughness in them. He is a former Lavell player though.......
S
snoscythe
I just hope we don't go through two months of outrageous drops by the WR corps like his first go-around as a coach.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
I, frankly, felt our receivers were too soft until Holladay instilled some toughness in them. He is a former Lavell player though.......

Mitch, tough? Lol. Nah, they may have been tougher. They dropped more balls though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
Mars wrote:
I, frankly, felt our receivers were too soft until Holladay instilled some toughness in them. He is a former Lavell player though.......

Mitch, tough? Lol. Nah, they may have been tougher. They dropped more balls though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Yeah I like our receivers last year but tough isn't a word I'd describe them by. If anything it seemed to be their biggest weakness imo



I like Guy a lot and I like that we have Cahoon. I think Guy was likely more valuable as a recruiter and someone from outside of the BYU clothe and culture that added a lot to the staff.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:
I, frankly, felt our receivers were too soft until Holladay instilled some toughness in them. He is a former Lavell player though.......

Mitch, tough? Lol. Nah, they may have been tougher. They dropped more balls though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Last year was the first year in I can't remember how long, when the receivers would actually come down with tough catches. They would go after and get the ball on balls that normally would either be intercepted or hit the ground. I haven't seen that in a long time. I wouldn't call Mitch the toughest receiver that I have seen, but if you will go back and watch the Houston game in 13 and then watch some tape from this year you will see a dramatic difference. I would love to see our guys look like they did back in 96 (those guys played physical) but we haven't seen that yet. 15 was the closest to the 96 type of physicality I have seen out of our receivers. I certainly didn't see that type of physicality before Holladay got here. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
WR Production last five years:

2015: 255 catches on 426 targets for 3,522 yards with 21 TDs & 12 INTs. .599 complete & a 139.94 RER

2014: 193 catches on 328 targets fro 2,632 yards with 23 TDs & 7 INTs. .588 complete & a 145.12 RER

2013: 173 catches on 313 targets for 2,377 yards with 17 TDs & 9 INTs. .553 complete & a 131.24 RER

2012: 192 catches on 312 targets for 2,090 yards with 15 TDs & 15 INTs. .615 complete & a 124.06 RER

2011: 181 catches on 320 targets for 2371 yards with 23 TDs & 13 INTS . .566 complete & a 134.40 RER



Years ranked by RER:

1. 2014 (145.12) 2. 2015 (139.94) 3. 2011 (134.40) 4. 2013 (131.24) 5. 2012 (124.06)



Years ranked by completion percentage:

1. 2012 (.615) 2. 2015 (.599) 3. 2014 (.588 ) 4. 2011 (.566) 5. 2013 (.553)



Years ranked by yards per attempt:

1. 2015 (8.3) 2. 2014 (8.0) 3. 2013 (7.6) 4. 2011 (7.4) 5. 2012 (6.7)



Years ranked by yards per completion:

1. 2015 (13.8 ) 2. 2013 (13.7) 3. 2014 (13.6) 4. 2011 (13.1) 5. 2012 (10.9)



Years ranked by TD percentage:

1. 2011 (7.2%) 2. 2014 (7.0%) 3. 2013 (5.4%) 4. 2015 (4.9%) 5. 2012 (4.8%)



Years ranked by INT percentage:

1. 2014 (2.1%) 2. 2015 (2.8%) 3. 2013 (2.9%) 4. 2011 (4.1%) 5. 2012 (4.8%)



If you give a season 5 points for being #1 in a category & 1 point for being #5 the point totals look like this. I think this shows how much more productive our WRs were the last two years over the previous three. But that may have more to do with the caliber of QBs throwing the ball to them than the WR corps' ability.



2014 24 points (2 #1, 2 #2, 2 #3)

2015: 24 points (2 #1, 3 #2, 1 #4)

2013: 16 points (1 #2, 3 #3, 1 #4, 1 #5)

2011: 16 poitns (1 #1, 1 #3, 4 $4)

2012: 10 points (1 #1, 5 #5)
G
Guest
Interesting numbers, looks like the receivers have been better under Holliday, but I don't feel like Cahoon was that far behind him.
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
Interesting numbers, looks like the receivers have been better under Holliday, but I don't feel like Cahoon was that far behind him.

I do feel like Holliday is the better recruiter, and thus the better overall WR coach, but I like Cahoon. His WR coaching skills plus Mangum's throwing and Detmer's QB coaching could be huge.
F
frdbtr
I guess my gauge isn't a bunch of numbers. I just remember watching other teams play football and see receivers go up and fight for 50/50 balls and come down with them. I used to think "why don't BYU receivers do that"? Well last year it felt like for the first time in a long time that BYU's receivers were fighting for and winning the battle on 50/50 balls. Last years offense, with the exception of the Michigan game, seemed to have a lot of toughness. Something I hadn't seen in our offense since 96. I hope that the new coaching staff brings that over anything else that they might bring because it is sickening watching my team get beat up by more physical teams.
S
Schmoe
Meh. Probably the best available, but nothing to get excited about. I wish we'd have kept Holliday instead.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Cahoon is a great hire. Considering that the wide receivers had a left handed free safety throwing to them under Cahoon I'd say that those (made up) scores are pretty good. If Cahoon's receiver core had Mangum and Taysom throwing to them they would have easily surpassed Holiday's.



Forget about Cody Hoffman so soon?
E
EM_Puma
I love all the poly presence on the staff, but seriously, am I the only one that believes we need a bit more "diversity" on this staff? I don't know how to say that more politically correct.
C
Cougarfan87
Brayden Green wrote:
Considering that the wide receivers had a left handed free safety throwing to them under Cahoon I'd say that those (made up) scores are pretty good.


:lol: Harsh, but funny. :lol:
F
frdbtr
The same group of receivers we had in 12 had Taysom throwing to them in 13 and they were still soft. I have not forgot Hoffman, he was a really good possession receiver but he lost on a bunch of 50/50 catches too.
S
SpiffCoug
Brayden Green wrote:
Cahoon is a great hire. Considering that the wide receivers had a left handed free safety throwing to them under Cahoon I'd say that those (made up) scores are pretty good. If Cahoon's receiver core had Mangum and Taysom throwing to them they would have easily surpassed Holiday's.



Forget about Cody Hoffman so soon?

Yeah, I'm not sure we can judge Cahoon's coaching ability based on WR production given the QBs we had throwing to his WRs.



I do wish he had stayed in coaching the last few years instead of selling for a sports medicine company.



But I'm very excited to see what his WRs can do with Tanner Mangum throwing to them.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.