Archived Topic

Season tickets price doubled?

by Sammich · 1/18/2016

Advertisement
S
Sammich
At the risk of sounding like Airwolf, I'm going to complain about ticket prices for a second.



We found out that our tickets, seats which our family has held since the stadium was built, are basically doubling in price this year. This after another doubling in price that happened several years ago. For the first time ever, and I'm ashamed to admit this, I'm considering letting our tickets go because the cost is too high.



What I don't understand is, what's the reasoning---why now?



For the basketball ticket doubling last year, we got more comfortable, roomier seats, and improved scoreboard and displays around the arena. It was hard to swallow such a huge jump in price, but understandable.



For the football tickets doubling, what is twice as good?

-The home opponents are worse if anything

-BYU is coming off an okay season where they lost to their rival in the bowl game

-There's a new coaching staff that to a man haven't coached at this level before

-BYU had more preseason promise last year

-BYU isn't joining a conference or any other status change that would warrant such an increase

-The seats and facilities seem to be exactly the same



Does anyone know why the big jump? Or is this a special pricing focused on getting stadium donors to drop their seats so BYU can give them away to some rich people that don't attend the games like what happened with the cougar club seats on the east side?



I'd love to hear if any of you have heard anything, or if you know of a justification I haven't heard of. If anything else it might get me to cool down so I don't yell at the person-who-doesn't-care at the ticket office when it opens tomorrow. :sulk:
S
snoscythe
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXBxba4UsAAUbM_.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



That's why. Don't agree with it, but that's why.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sa mich, I hear you. Its a bummer. And let's face it, the $10k donation made back in 70's to secure two generations of tickets at low costs has lost its utility. There has been almost an entitlement that those $10k donors have had for a long time. I don't know if this applies to you and I apologize most sincerely if my response sounds insensitive. You are one of the most reasonable posters on here.

I know an older gentleman who still wears his 84 royal blue championship hat to the very few games he attends, I think one per year. He gave up his seats a few years ago and still grouses around about ticket costs, getting screwed by BYU, etc. He shows up to spring game and fall open scrimmage. Anyway, it's the beginning of the end for the folks who donated years ago or the Sand baggers who have not been paying their fare share. Those west seats have become more Sought after as the east side prices have gone up and folks have jumped to the west side for cheaper options.

I have the cheaper east seats lower level, not the super pricey ones in the Y, and attendance isn't as bad as you say.

But yes, overall, we wanted Babylon and here it keeps encroaching. It's become a show me the money world and college football is at the forefront and BYU Cant escape the lure or the necessity. I agree with Sno, Ty didn't come on the cheap. Even though I would imagine that KS and TD are earning less than BM and RA were at BYU. But who knows.
S
scott715
Can I ask how much season tickets are? This year we got UCLA, MIss St and Utah St coming in. Toledo might be a good game. The last two can be forgotten.
S
Stirfry
I haven't seen what ours will be yet but if it's double it'll be tough to justify. When was the last time that buying season tickets turned out to be an advantage? The stadium doesn't fill up and you could almost always buy a ticket for under face value. You may pay more for the biggest game of the season if you buy one game at a time but then you don't pay for the D2 game.



It sucks buying season tickets and then seeing the ticket office run a $10-$15 promo for the game. Generally you can't make one game and then with the D2 game you paying full price for 6 tickets and using four (no I don't count the D2 school as s real game but I still go)



I don't think the market demands it but we'll see. The legacy seats seem to be the least well attended vs price of seat if that makes sense.



Yes out of staters were spoiled and getting a bargain. We've heard it. I'm excited for the new coaches but are they going to have a ten win average? Is our home schedule improving that much (it is getting much better)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Sammich
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Sa mich, I hear you. Its a bummer. And let's face it, the $10k donation made back in 70's to secure two generations of tickets at low costs has lost its utility. There has been almost an entitlement that those $10k donors have had for a long time. I don't know if this applies to you and I apologize most sincerely if my response sounds insensitive. You are one of the most reasonable posters on here.

I know an older gentleman who still wears his 84 royal blue championship hat to the very few games he attends, I think one per year. He gave up his seats a few years ago and still grouses around about ticket costs, getting screwed by BYU, etc. He shows up to spring game and fall open scrimmage. Anyway, it's the beginning of the end for the folks who donated years ago or the Sand baggers who have not been paying their fare share. Those west seats have become more Sought after as the east side prices have gone up and folks have jumped to the west side for cheaper options.

I have the cheaper east seats lower level, not the super pricey ones in the Y, and attendance isn't as bad as you say.

But yes, overall, we wanted Babylon and here it keeps encroaching. It's become a show me the money world and college football is at the forefront and BYU Cant escape the lure or the necessity. I agree with Sno, Ty didn't come on the cheap. Even though I would imagine that KS and TD are earning less than BM and RA were at BYU. But who knows.

I agree that the donor seats have gotten a great deal over the years; these are my in-laws tickets that we've been purchasing for them for over 12 years now, and I can't complain at how great the prices were even with the previous doubling of the price a few years ago. But this year's doubling appears to have pushed them not only out of the "discounted" range but above the national average for equivalent seats at similar schools (at least according to what research I could do this morning). It's one thing to bring the donor seats up to match the rest of the stadium (and maybe that is all that has happened and LES is just overpriced), but it's such a massive increase I'm thinking there has to be something else at work here.
S
Sammich
scott715 wrote:
Can I ask how much season tickets are? This year we got UCLA, MIss St and Utah St coming in. Toledo might be a good game. The last two can be forgotten.

With the increase they are now $100 a seat per game. These are not seats from the lower center where they are prone to be much more than that, but up pretty high and aligned with the 20 yard line on one end. As far as I can tell (hard to get consistent/recent data on this) that is above what they would be at equivalent schools.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sammich wrote:
Can I ask how much season tickets are? This year we got UCLA, MIss St and Utah St coming in. Toledo might be a good game. The last two can be forgotten.

With the increase they are now $100 a seat per game. These are not seats from the lower center where they are prone to be much more than that, but up pretty high and aligned with the 20 yard line on one end. As far as I can tell (hard to get consistent/recent data on this) that is above what they would be at equivalent schools.


Yes' that's unfortunate. It's actually kind of sad knowing that will pinch out and price out more and more folks.

I think its a function of price matching the rest of the stadium. The gravy is dried up. The deals are gone. Well, at least until game week when they are dumping tickets.

Maybe if we can't be a P5 in membership we can charge P5 prices? ;-)
S
Stirfry
Sammich wrote:
Can I ask how much season tickets are? This year we got UCLA, MIss St and Utah St coming in. Toledo might be a good game. The last two can be forgotten.

With the increase they are now $100 a seat per game. These are not seats from the lower center where they are prone to be much more than that, but up pretty high and aligned with the 20 yard line on one end. As far as I can tell (hard to get consistent/recent data on this) that is above what they would be at equivalent schools.


Are you towards the 50 from the 20 yard line or towards the end zone? Last year the seats towards the end zone were $300 and the ones from the 20 towards the 50 were $450 I think. Closer to the 50 were like $700.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SkystheLimit
My thought was that they somehow have to pay for a new, more expensive coaching staff. The fans want a winning team, we pay for it.
Advertisement
F
Fido
For the football tickets doubling, what is twice as good?

-The home opponents are worse if anything
Have mercy....really? The only game that isn't "better" to me is Fresno State/UMass which is a wash. 0 P5 teams at home last year and 2 in 2016. :lol:

2015 Game/2016 Game **with their 2015 records

Boise State (9-4)/Mississippi State (9-4)

Cincinnati (7-6)/Toledo (10-2)

UConn (6-7)/UCLA (8-5)

East Carolina (5-7)/Utah State (6-7)

Fresno State (3-9)/UMass (3-9)

Wagner (1-10)/Southern Utah (8-4)

-BYU is coming off an okay season where they lost to their rival in the bowl game

-There's a new coaching staff that to a man haven't coached at this level before
Sitake, Tuiaki, Empey, and Kaufusi (2/3rd of the announced staff) have all coached at the D1 level. Detmer was at HS level and Lamb was DII.

-BYU had more preseason promise last year
Expecting less than last year's "okay" season already in spite of the return of Jamal Williams, possible return of Taysom Hill, hopefully the return of several other injured/suspended players, and the signing of a recruiting class?

-BYU isn't joining a conference or any other status change that would warrant such an increase

-The seats and facilities seem to be exactly the same



It feels like you are seriously reaching on a few of those reasons. I understand not liking big ticket increases but you could have narrowed your reason list quite a bit.
S
Sammich
Stirfry wrote:
scott715 wrote:
Can I ask how much season tickets are? This year we got UCLA, MIss St and Utah St coming in. Toledo might be a good game. The last two can be forgotten.

With the increase they are now $100 a seat per game. These are not seats from the lower center where they are prone to be much more than that, but up pretty high and aligned with the 20 yard line on one end. As far as I can tell (hard to get consistent/recent data on this) that is above what they would be at equivalent schools.


Are you towards the 50 from the 20 yard line or towards the end zone? Last year the seats towards the end zone were $300 and the ones from the 20 towards the 50 were $450 I think. Closer to the 50 were like $700.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I have no idea where you're getting those numbers. The BYU tickets site doesn't even go up past $300 a seat per game for general public, and we're looking at employee pricing comparisons for the in-laws' tickets. That said, I also note looking at their site that prices are pretty high all over the stadium now, much more so than what I saw a few years ago.
S
Sammich
SkystheLimit wrote:
My thought was that they somehow have to pay for a new, more expensive coaching staff. The fans want a winning team, we pay for it.

I have seen this justification but doesn't it seem like putting the cart before the horse a bit, especially when BYU's ability to hire great coaches is limited way more by factors other than pay (in other words, who would BYU have picked up if not Sitake? the list is pretty short for assistants too).
S
Sammich
Fido wrote:
For the football tickets doubling, what is twice as good?

-The home opponents are worse if anything
Have mercy....really? The only game that isn't "better" to me is Fresno State/UMass which is a wash. 0 P5 teams at home last year and 2 in 2016. :lol:

2015 Game/2016 Game **with their 2015 records

Boise State (9-4)/Mississippi State (9-4)

Cincinnati (7-6)/Toledo (10-2)

UConn (6-7)/UCLA (8-5)

East Carolina (5-7)/Utah State (6-7)

Fresno State (3-9)/UMass (3-9)

Wagner (1-10)/Southern Utah (8-4)

-BYU is coming off an okay season where they lost to their rival in the bowl game

-There's a new coaching staff that to a man haven't coached at this level before
Sitake, Tuiaki, Empey, and Kaufusi (2/3rd of the announced staff) have all coached at the D1 level. Detmer was at HS level and Lamb was DII.

-BYU had more preseason promise last year

-BYU isn't joining a conference or any other status change that would warrant such an increase

-The seats and facilities seem to be exactly the same



It feels like you are seriously reaching on a few of those reasons. I understand not liking big ticket increases but you could have narrowed your reason list quite a bit.

Okay, I'll give you the home opponents because I was looking more at name recognition/prestige as opposed to record. By that measure Utah State doesn't really compete with any but the bottom teams, sorry. But you have a point with the rest, except that I would still strongly argue that the new schedule isn't twice as good as last.



You misinterpreted "level" for "division," which is how it's often used but is not how I meant it. Is there a single coach on our team (aside from Kaufusi) that has coached a team at their current position? No. Detmer has some hype coming with him but honestly is still little more than hype. The rest are covering new ground and we're just hoping they will pan out where they are.



I'm sorry, but I have a hard time getting very excited by the return of an oft-injured Taysom Hill and as much as I love Jamal Williams, I'm not holding my breath that he'll play again either. Maybe because last year was so shaky with injury and eligibility issues, they aren't making me want to open my wallet any wider. And these unnamed recruits you speak of must be pretty darn good for them to be lumped together like that.
S
Stirfry
Sammich wrote:
Sammich wrote:
Can I ask how much season tickets are? This year we got UCLA, MIss St and Utah St coming in. Toledo might be a good game. The last two can be forgotten.

With the increase they are now $100 a seat per game. These are not seats from the lower center where they are prone to be much more than that, but up pretty high and aligned with the 20 yard line on one end. As far as I can tell (hard to get consistent/recent data on this) that is above what they would be at equivalent schools.


Are you towards the 50 from the 20 yard line or towards the end zone? Last year the seats towards the end zone were $300 and the ones from the 20 towards the 50 were $450 I think. Closer to the 50 were like $700.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I have no idea where you're getting those numbers. The BYU tickets site doesn't even go up past $300 a seat per game for general public, and we're looking at employee pricing comparisons for the in-laws' tickets. That said, I also note looking at their site that prices are pretty high all over the stadium now, much more so than what I saw a few years ago.

I thought the topic was season tickets



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Sammich
Stirfry wrote:
Stirfry wrote:
scott715 wrote:
Can I ask how much season tickets are? This year we got UCLA, MIss St and Utah St coming in. Toledo might be a good game. The last two can be forgotten.

With the increase they are now $100 a seat per game. These are not seats from the lower center where they are prone to be much more than that, but up pretty high and aligned with the 20 yard line on one end. As far as I can tell (hard to get consistent/recent data on this) that is above what they would be at equivalent schools.


Are you towards the 50 from the 20 yard line or towards the end zone? Last year the seats towards the end zone were $300 and the ones from the 20 towards the 50 were $450 I think. Closer to the 50 were like $700.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I have no idea where you're getting those numbers. The BYU tickets site doesn't even go up past $300 a seat per game for general public, and we're looking at employee pricing comparisons for the in-laws' tickets. That said, I also note looking at their site that prices are pretty high all over the stadium now, much more so than what I saw a few years ago.

I thought the topic was season tickets



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Oh, I see. You're looking at the season cost, I'm looking at the per-seat/per-game breakdown of that total cost.
M
MrH51
My seats in the north end zone appear to be the same price as last year.
G
Gunk
Last game I went to was the Boise game a few years ago. Through BYU's ticket service, single game tickets were $100 a piece. These were nose bleed seats on the 10 yard line. I couldn't believe the price. Fortunately, someone pointed me towards a few online sources where I could equivalent seats for a steal of a deal at $60 per seat.



My thoughts, save the money and put it towards a cable/satellite subscription. Sad but true. BYU games have become events for yuppies and the elite. Gone are the days where the average family can go to a game or two without breaking the Christmas budget.



What's it all going towards? A new coaching staff, more facilities, or better tutors for athletes, who knows. What I do know is the product on the field hasn't changed much. If it doesn't with the new coaching staff, you can bet there will be a lot empty seats.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:

My thoughts, save the money and put it towards a cable/satellite subscription. Sad but true. BYU games have become events for yuppies and the elite. Gone are the days where the average family can go to a game or two without breaking the Christmas budget.





[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


YEs, yes, and yes. Instead of going to a game to watch the game, a good part of the fans seem to be wanting a social event. Give me a football game, the band, and cheap tickets so that people who actually care about the game can get in.
S
Sammich
Great comments everyone, I was coming here hoping to either commiserate or to be told "welcome to the real world," and I have gotten both. Thank you, I will be a lot more calm tomorrow when talking to the ticket office. :D
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.