Archived Topic

Criddle says Tom Holmoe's first hire was Ty Detmer

by hawkwing · 1/15/2016

Advertisement
G
Guest
Criddle said on the radio today that he believes that Ty Detmer was hired first by Tom Holmoe as the OC, but that it wasn't announced until after the Sitake hire was finalized as head coach.



If that's the case, I don't like it. I don't think any HC should have his staff dictated to him.
C
Cougarfan87
hawkwing wrote:
Criddle said on the radio today that he believes that Ty Detmer was hired first by Tom Holmoe as the OC, but that it wasn't announced until after the Sitake hire was finalized as head coach.



If that's the case, I don't like it. I don't think any HC should have his staff dictated to him.


It's possible he floated the idea to Sitake first to gauge his interest. How would a Criddle know anyway?
G
Guest
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Criddle said on the radio today that he believes that Ty Detmer was hired first by Tom Holmoe as the OC, but that it wasn't announced until after the Sitake hire was finalized as head coach.



If that's the case, I don't like it. I don't think any HC should have his staff dictated to him.


It's possible he floated the idea to Sitake first to gauge his interest. How would a Criddle know anyway?


Yeah, I can't speak to it's authenticity, but Criddle has been pretty dialed in on the coaching news so far.



I do believe Holmoe would have spoken to Sitake and said, 'how do you feel about having Ty as your OC, because he already has the job?' And it's very possible that that was KS's first choice anyway, but I like my coaches to be masters of their domain.
S
SpiffCoug
IF true, it would seem to be par for the course as Anae was also essentially hired by Holmoe back in 2005 as well. I could see Holmoe speaking with all of the potential HCs and telling them that he has spoken with Ty Detmer and that Detmer has expressed great interest in coming to Provo.



It could also be a reason why Niumutalolo was hesitant to be lacking some control over his staff.
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
IF true, it would seem to be par for the course as Anae was also essentially hired by Holmoe back in 2005 as well. I could see Holmoe speaking with all of the potential HCs and telling them that he has spoken with Ty Detmer and that Detmer has expressed great interest in coming to Provo.



It could also be a reason why Niumutalolo was hesitant to be lacking some control over his staff.


I think you may be right. it may have been more than we dont want triple option; we are one upping it and Want Ty and a pro style. So, BYU got best of both--a solid D minded HC and hopefully a great offensive coach.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
hawkwing wrote:
Criddle said on the radio today that he believes that Ty Detmer was hired first by Tom Holmoe as the OC, but that it wasn't announced until after the Sitake hire was finalized as head coach.



If that's the case, I don't like it. I don't think any HC should have his staff dictated to him.


I think I like it. The AD is in charge ultimately, not the FB coach and if he thinks an OC Detmer and HC Sitake is the best solution, I have no problem laying that out to the two and seeing if they support. If I were Holmoe I would not want to wonder who my HC's OC is going to be when I know Detmer is the best and I can get him.
G
Gunk
Holmoe was bringing in a new HC with few connections. Who was Sitake going to bring in? The best would have been an up and coming position coach. That would have given BYU two no-name coaches.



The team can't afford a significant drop in production or fan support. Not now. Holmoe doesn't have the luxury of giving his new HC a few years to grow into the position. Of course Holmoe went out there and got Sitake an OC that has a very good chance of being an upgrade over Anae.



We should all be thanking Holmoe. Good news is he at least learned from his mistake and didn't hire Anae...again.



The fact Bronco just grabbed Anae and took him to UVA also shows Bronco's lack of connections. If Bronco was strapped with Anae as hinted, that was his chance to be rid of him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
I guess I don't understand why Tom didn't just name himself coach. He clearly wants more control over the team than what he should have.



Kalani isn't even anything more than an average DC and great recruiter. This could be disastrous for the program.
Y
YNot
In case you hadn't heard, BYU has TWO 4-star players enrolled and ON-CAMPUS right now that likely would have ended up PAC 12 schools but for Sitake and Detmer...and Holmoe.
S
SenorCougar
BoiseBYU wrote:
Criddle said on the radio today that he believes that Ty Detmer was hired first by Tom Holmoe as the OC, but that it wasn't announced until after the Sitake hire was finalized as head coach.



If that's the case, I don't like it. I don't think any HC should have his staff dictated to him.


I think I like it. The AD is in charge ultimately, not the FB coach and if he thinks an OC Detmer and HC Sitake is the best solution, I have no problem laying that out to the two and seeing if they support. If I were Holmoe I would not want to wonder who my HC's OC is going to be when I know Detmer is the best and I can get him.


Since Holme, as AD, is over all athletics, should he also hire the basketball assistant coaches? I'm not on board with the AD so entrenched. I think that his direct responsibility is the head coach selection and the HC then chooses his staff. If true, too meddlesom for my taste.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
If true - it has to be concerning. How can the head coach see this as anything other than " I've already picked your replacement if you screw up, and you have the train them"



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
I don't care how Ty was hired as long as he is here. He and Lamb are the only 2 coaches on staff that have me even half way optimistic and I am still concerned that Ty's offense is not going to be able to carry this team(since he is probably going to have a few games before things get going) while the defense is trying to get things figured out.
S
SkystheLimit
Geez, people! Relax! You have no idea how it happened. For all you know, Sitske may have been on board with it. Gimme a break!
J
Jarhead
It could have also been a major reason for why Sitake was excited about the job. Who knows. I'm glad Detmer is here regardless.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.