Archived Topic

2016 schedule

by scott715 · 1/12/2016

Advertisement
S
scott715
Sep. 3 Wildcats Arizona Wildcats 7-6 2015 Record Sagarin #55

U. of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ TBA ---



Sep. 10 Utes at Utah Utes 10-3 2015 Record Sagarin #24

Rice-Eccles Stadium, Salt Lake City, UT TBA Buy



Sep. 17 Bruins UCLA Bruins 8-5 2015 Record Sagarin #30

LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT TBA ---



Sep. 24 Mountaineers West Virginia Mountaineers 8-5 2015 Record Sagarin #27

FedEx Field, Landover, MD TBA ---



Sep. 30 Rockets Toledo Rockets 11-2 2015 Record Sagarin #37

LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT TBA ---



Oct. 8 Spartans at Michigan State Spartans 12-2 2015 Record Sagarin #17

Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI TBA



Oct. 15 Bulldogs Mississippi State Bulldogs 9-4 2015 Record Sagarin #18

LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT TBA ---



Oct. 22 Broncos at Boise State Broncos 9-4 2015 Record Sagarin #38

Albertson's Stadium, Boise, ID TBA ---



Oct. 29 --- Open Date --- ---



Nov. 5 Bearcats at Cincinnati Bearcats 7-6 2015 Record Sagarin #75

Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, OH TBA ---



Nov. 12 Thunderbirds Southern Utah Thunderbirds 7-3 2015 Record Sagarin #101

LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT TBA ---



Nov. 19 Minutemen UMass Minutemen 3-9 2015 Record Sagarin #138

LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT TBA ---



Nov. 26 Aggies Utah State Aggies 6-7 2015 Record Sagarin #74

LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT TBA ---
S
stuckinbig10country
Wow...I hope some of the recruiters we've hired can actually coach.
F
frdbtr
This is my biggest worry with the new staff. Really, no one on the staff with the exception of Lamb knows how to prepare a team to win ball games and that schedule is flat out killer. There is a very real possibility that BYU does not win a game until November. I hope they figure things out real freaking quick because I am not in the mood for a 1 or 2 win season next year.
F
Fido
2 of our 2016 opponents are in the "2016 Way too early top 25"

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14514317/clemson-tigers-alabama-crimson-tide-lead-2016-way-too-early-top-25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



14. Michigan State Spartans



Outlook: The Spartans' 38-0 loss to Alabama in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic was a deflating end to a great season, but Mark Dantonio has built a program that's here to stay. There's a lot of work to do, though; the Spartans will have to replace all but three offensive starters, including quarterback Connor Cook and two key pieces on the line. They'll also lose three starting defensive linemen, but nose tackle Malik McDowell is a budding superstar.



21. UCLA Bruins



Outlook: But UCLA took its lumps with true freshman quarterback Josh Rosen, who looked like the kind of player who might be able to get the Bruins over the hump in the future. UCLA will have to replace three starting offensive linemen as well as tailback Paul Perkins, who ran for 1,343 yards with 14 touchdowns this past season. Nine starters might be back on defense, but top pass-rushers Kenny Clark and Aaron Wallace are gone.
W
Wolverine
frdbtr wrote:
This is my biggest worry with the new staff. Really, no one on the staff with the exception of Lamb knows how to prepare a team to win ball games and that schedule is flat out killer. There is a very real possibility that BYU does not win a game until November. I hope they figure things out real freaking quick because I am not in the mood for a 1 or 2 win season next year.

Do you really believe that nobody on the staff besides Lamb knows how to prepare teams to win ballgames? Just because these guys haven't been the head coach doesn't mean they don't know how to prepare teams to win ballgames. I don't think they sat in an isolation booth all week long on their previous staffs and then miraculously appeared on game day to coach their position players. I would like to think that they were heavily involved in the preparation to win ballgames. Now if what you are saying is that none of them except Lamb have experience as a HC in preparing their teams to win ballgames....well, yeah...
Advertisement
S
scott715
We need to win the first game and the last 4 for 5 wins. Quite possibility Toledo won't be as good next year. That could give us 6 and bowl eligible. The other 6 will be tough games and hopefully we can win a few to have a very good season.
S
snoscythe
Guys, I get the nervousness, but we have OODLES of talent coming back on offense. The bigger issue in my mind is this--if Detmer has all the weapons he has at his disposal next year and can't put together 8 wins, regardless of the difficult schedule, the years beyond 2016 are going to be some pretty sober years as well.
F
frdbtr
Wolverine wrote:
This is my biggest worry with the new staff. Really, no one on the staff with the exception of Lamb knows how to prepare a team to win ball games and that schedule is flat out killer. There is a very real possibility that BYU does not win a game until November. I hope they figure things out real freaking quick because I am not in the mood for a 1 or 2 win season next year.

Do you really believe that nobody on the staff besides Lamb knows how to prepare teams to win ballgames? Just because these guys haven't been the head coach doesn't mean they don't know how to prepare teams to win ballgames. I don't think they sat in an isolation booth all week long on their previous staffs and then miraculously appeared on game day to coach their position players. I would like to think that they were heavily involved in the preparation to win ballgames. Now if what you are saying is that none of them except Lamb have experience as a HC in preparing their teams to win ballgames....well, yeah...


Bronco had never been a head coach when he was hired in 05, John Beck said in an interview on BYU sports nation that everyone on staff thought they were just going to come out and dominate. We had a bunch of talent on offense back then too and with a much easier schedule went 6-6 after the bowl game. They simply didn't know how to put together an effective game plan and it took time to figure it out. I think that Ty Detmer has potential to be a really good offensive coordinator but he isn't going to come out and start calling 40 point scoring games from game 1, it is going to take some time. I literally have no trust in the defensive staff right now because I have never seen Sitake put together a defense away from Whittingham that stopped anyone, and his hired Defensive coordinator has had no experience putting together a defensive game plan as a coordinator. Yes, I am worried. I am hoping that things come together quickly because next years schedule is ugly and we have a bunch of rookies on staff. Yes we have a lot of returning talent but talent without good coaching will not get us where we want to go.
F
Fido
To be honest, I'm a little surprised at the level of hand-wringing more than 200 days before the season starts.
F
frdbtr
Fido wrote:
To be honest, I'm a little surprised at the level of hand-wringing more than 200 days before the season starts.


I would be wringing my hands with next years schedule if we had an established coaching staff. I am personally surprised by the giddiness of our fan base over a coaching staff that most P5 teams would be completely disappointed in. I am hoping that this coaching staff turns out to be great but I wonder how long our fan base is going to support this staff when we haven't won a game next year and November is starting, and have lost six in a row to the utes.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
I currently categorize the season as follows:



TOUGH ROAD: Michigan St., WVU, Arizona

TOSS-UP ROAD: Ewetes, Boise St., Cincinnati

(we have no easy road games in 2016...)



TOUGH HOME: UCLA

TOSS-UP HOME: Mississippi St., Utah St.

SHOULD-WIN HOME: Toledo, UMass (although Toledo returns QB and RB from 10-2 team)

EASY HOME: SUU



(I struggled with USU as a Should-Win or Toss-Up. I'm labeling them a Toss-Up until we prove that 2014, 2012, and 2011 are firmly in the review mirror).



To go 6-6, we need to win 3 of the 5 Toss-Up games and all the Should-Win and Easy games. I would disappointed with 6-6, but would feel a moral victory if the 3 Toss-Up wins are Ewetes, Boise St., and Utah St. If we get to 6-6 with a loss to Utah or Utah St. it would be a failure. (a loss to BSU wouldn't hurt as much as either of the other two).



I'll be right on the satisfaction borderline at 7-5, depending on the results of the Big Three Toss-Up rivalry games. Wins over the Big Three and either Mississippi St. or on the road in Cincinnati would tip the scales to satisfaction. But 7-5 with losses to two out of the Big Three rivals would be a disappointment - even despite a Tough road win.



I would be solidly satisfied at 8-4 - because that means we win all of the Toss-Up games including Ewetes, BSU, and USU - or we win most of the Toss-Ups and at least one of the Tough matchups.



The only scenario in which I wouldn't be pleased with 9-3 record is where the 3 losses are to the Ewetes, BSU, and USU. Otherwise, it means we won all the games we should have, most of the Toss-Ups, and even one or two of Tough matchups.



I would be thrilled with anything 10+wins (even with a loss to the Ewetes), because it would mean that we took care of business for the most part on a weekly basis and we had one or two Tough ROAD wins.



ANyway, my $.02
C
Cougs_Rule
If BYU sniffs 10 wins--it would be an epic year, probably filled with more hail marys or just some great luck and living right.

If BYU beats all of its rivals, but espcially Utah, wont matter the rest of the record. even if its a losing record and no bowl, if BYU beats Utah, USU, ad BSU, fans will relucantly but not difficultly, and maybe even smilingly say, "its ok, next year. BC beating your rivals does matter!!
A
ABYUFAN
Cougs_Rule wrote:
If BYU sniffs 10 wins--it would be an epic year, probably filled with more hail marys or just some great luck and living right.

If BYU beats all of its rivals, but espcially Utah, wont matter the rest of the record. even if its a losing record and no bowl, if BYU beats Utah, USU, ad BSU, fans will relucantly but not difficultly, and maybe even smilingly say, "its ok, next year. BC beating your rivals does matter!!

If those are BYU's only 3 wins next year I'll be very disappointed. The 2 MSU's would be better victories than Utah. And an argument can be made that BSU is a bigger win given that we have a long term series with them, and what amounts to a one game arraignment (with a buyout) with Utah - they now have cancellation "priors." So, at best, Utah is our third biggest game next year. And that is ignoring the fact that we’d be more respected for a victory over Arizona and UCLA than Utah, so it’s not a reach to say that Utah is our 5th biggest game next year. I’m not going to be satisfied with 4 wins if our biggest win is our 5th (and third) biggest games next yearc(Throwing in a win over the Tbirds)
F
frdbtr
Here are my thoughts. If BYU goes 6-6 with that schedule with this inexperienced coaching staff, I will be completely satisfied with that year. If they win more than that, I will be ecstatic, they will have exceeded all my expectations. If we win 3-5 games, I will feel that it was a disappointing year but expected.
G
Guest
6 Wins would be a big disappointment to me. 8 would be a good season.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
ABYUFAN wrote:
If BYU sniffs 10 wins--it would be an epic year, probably filled with more hail marys or just some great luck and living right.

If BYU beats all of its rivals, but espcially Utah, wont matter the rest of the record. even if its a losing record and no bowl, if BYU beats Utah, USU, ad BSU, fans will relucantly but not difficultly, and maybe even smilingly say, "its ok, next year. BC beating your rivals does matter!!

If those are BYU's only 3 wins next year I'll be very disappointed. The 2 MSU's would be better victories than Utah. And an argument can be made that BSU is a bigger win given that we have a long term series with them, and what amounts to a one game arraignment (with a buyout) with Utah - they now have cancellation "priors." So, at best, Utah is our third biggest game next year. And that is ignoring the fact that we’d be more respected for a victory over Arizona and UCLA than Utah, so it’s not a reach to say that Utah is our 5th biggest game next year. I’m not going to be satisfied with 4 wins if our biggest win is our 5th (and third) biggest games next yearc(Throwing in a win over the Tbirds)


Sitaki ending the losing streak in year one to his former employer and recruits would be a much bigger story locally, nationally, and within the program in my opinion. Those other teams are bigger nationally but 5 straight in the holy war is a story in its own.



6 wins would be bearable but disappointing. These coaches are walking into the best situation any new squad has walked into at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Stirfry wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
If BYU sniffs 10 wins--it would be an epic year, probably filled with more hail marys or just some great luck and living right.

If BYU beats all of its rivals, but espcially Utah, wont matter the rest of the record. even if its a losing record and no bowl, if BYU beats Utah, USU, ad BSU, fans will relucantly but not difficultly, and maybe even smilingly say, "its ok, next year. BC beating your rivals does matter!!

If those are BYU's only 3 wins next year I'll be very disappointed. The 2 MSU's would be better victories than Utah. And an argument can be made that BSU is a bigger win given that we have a long term series with them, and what amounts to a one game arraignment (with a buyout) with Utah - they now have cancellation "priors." So, at best, Utah is our third biggest game next year. And that is ignoring the fact that we’d be more respected for a victory over Arizona and UCLA than Utah, so it’s not a reach to say that Utah is our 5th biggest game next year. I’m not going to be satisfied with 4 wins if our biggest win is our 5th (and third) biggest games next yearc(Throwing in a win over the Tbirds)


Sitaki ending the losing streak in year one to his former employer and recruits would be a much bigger story locally, nationally, and within the program in my opinion. Those other teams are bigger nationally but 5 straight in the holy war is a story in its own.



6 wins would be bearable but disappointing. These coaches are walking into the best situation any new squad has walked into at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


in 2001 Crowton walked into a loaded offense. The defense was loaded with talent but Schmidt did a terrible job coaching it and we gave up 30 pts per game which was fine as long as Doman and Staley were both healthy. I think this year we have a bunch of talent on both sides of the ball too but a much more difficult schedule and much more inexperienced offensive coaching staff. I am really worried about next year. It could be a long year. IMO, I hope it turns out otherwise but I think it is going to be 6 in a row to the utes this year. Makes me sick to think about, but there is no way this offensive coaching staff is going to have things figured out by game 2. I don't even know what to expect from the defense. If we had a proven Dcoordinator like Bronco was, I would think we had a better chance against this schedule even with an unproven offensive coordinator but we also have an unproven defensive coordinator. Next year is shaping up to be really bad IMO.
K
KingCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
BC beating your rivals does matter!!


A concept a few on this board have yet to grasp.



And it's why we could go 0-12 next season and I'd still be glad Bronco and Anae's sorry butts are gone.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Double post
F
frdbtr
LOL! double post and someone down voted both of them.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.