Archived Topic

My reaction to Deseret News article that was denied

by HawkeyeCoug · 1/9/2016

Advertisement
H
HawkeyeCoug
Read this article from Brad Rock, and felt he was totally ignoring cheap shots from the Utes.



So, I wrote this response, though it was rejected. Can't figure out the Deseret News censors, though perhaps I am on the reactionary end of the spectrum. See if you think it should have been rejected.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865645099/Legislature-governor-Stay-out-of-BYU-Utah-politics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Rock was inaccurate on a couple of points. Cory Butler-Byrd was ejected from the Las Vegas Bowl for two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Fauonuku the felon interrupted an event that promoted sportsmanship and good feelings between the teams by threaten to punch and injure BYU players, while the entire Utah contingent cheered him on. The night before the bowl game Hackett was caught on tape stirring things up. In the past when Utah played UNLV, Chris Kemoeatu kicked a player without a helmet in the face, after kicking a San Diego State player the week before.



Larry K is no stranger to fighting on the courts. He was fined and suspended a game for breaking Jim Peterson's nose in the NBA, and in college threw an elbow that started a bench-clearing brawl that had to be stopped by police.



Rock should be brining up Brandon Taylor kicking Haws in the crotch. He should also mention that while Taylor was holding his eye when on the ground, he had no marks at all in the interview after the game.
B
BOID
I expect this kind of behavior from the Tribune. I am saddened that the Deseret News would even hire a hater like Brad Rock. It be noted that there are no Ute haters writing for either newspaper. Dick Harmon is probably the most pro-BYU of all of the prominent sports writers, but you never see him disparaging the Utes. The Deseret News was supposed to at least be fair to BYU. Brad Rock is one of the worst, and lately has been worse than Monson.



Hawkeye, I applaud you for your efforts. I think you're spot-on with this. If I were you, I would keep submitting it, and I would send copies to the Governor, and to your state reps, and to any other publications that you can think of. Include the story of how DN would not run it after publishing Rock's hit piece. The Gov has already tweeted his disapproval of the Ute BB program's decision. I don't expect the pols to punish or dictate to the news media; that's not the point. But the pols can certainly talk about it and spread the shame around for the Utes and for their shameless shills like Brad Rock.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I used to read some of Rock's stuff way back when I was in high school and my parents still got the print newspaper, but I haven't read anything from him in years, and boy am I glad I haven't. What an utter imbecile.



http://www.quickmeme.com/img/62/62fe7b7c3474428379fffd1f130e9a921ac8b60ccda0c44f25414793622d6d84.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
HawkeyeCoug wrote:
Read this article from Brad Rock, and felt he was totally ignoring cheap shots from the Utes.



So, I wrote this response, though it was rejected. Can't figure out the Deseret News censors, though perhaps I am on the reactionary end of the spectrum. See if you think it should have been rejected.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865645099/Legislature-governor-Stay-out-of-BYU-Utah-politics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Rock was inaccurate on a couple of points. Cory Butler-Byrd was ejected from the Las Vegas Bowl for two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Fauonuku the felon interrupted an event that promoted sportsmanship and good feelings between the teams by threaten to punch and injure BYU players, while the entire Utah contingent cheered him on. The night before the bowl game Hackett was caught on tape stirring things up. In the past when Utah played UNLV, Chris Kemoeatu kicked a player without a helmet in the face, after kicking a San Diego State player the week before.



Larry K is no stranger to fighting on the courts. He was fined and suspended a game for breaking Jim Peterson's nose in the NBA, and in college threw an elbow that started a bench-clearing brawl that had to be stopped by police.



Rock should be brining up Brandon Taylor kicking Haws in the crotch. He should also mention that while Taylor was holding his eye when on the ground, he had no marks at all in the interview after the game.


Good stuff. Maybe it didn't get published because it lacked accuracy as it lacked one more fact--Taylor threw an elbow to Nick's head before Nick retaliated w a punch.
K
KingCoug
The question is, does Rock pretend to be neutral in the rivalry like Monson does?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
blue42
You also need to send your response directly to Rock himself and tell him how he seems to have a selective memory of the :utard: dbags.
B
BYULV
Is there video available of some of Taylor's shots on emery or just the groin kick to Haws?
B
BOID
Hey guys, check out Doug Robinson's piece today in the Deseret News. "....Is About More than Just a Punch" I'm having difficulty pasting a link with my phone, but it just came out. This article is bold, and pulls no punches in its criticism of the Utes. Robinson says that the Utes are willing to spend money and risk ridicule in an attempt to degrade BYU's National Brand, and that BYU has not, and never would treat the Utes that way. It's refreshing to see someone willing and able to expose the Utes for their classless behavior and hatefulness. Doug Robinson has made a new fan of me.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.