Archived Topic

Making a Murderer

by hawkwing · 1/4/2016

Advertisement
G
Guest
This 10 part docu-series on Netflix is literally must watch. Now the actions of these evil and corrupt law enforcement agencies don't reflect all law enforcement, but they do put some things in a negative light.
J
jvquarterback
Great documentary. One more reason to distrust cops, crime labs, and attorneys who work for the state. The system is too stacked against anyone accused. It's worse for Stephen Avery but no one is presumed innocent anymore.



I once had a cop get up in court and concoct a whole conversation that allegedly happened during a traffic stop. I've never answered a single question in the past 30 years from a cop but he had two pages of my answers to his questions.



People keep saying there are good cops but it's tough to agree when the only cop I've interacted with in 25 years was a lying scoundrel.
S
SpiffCoug
I watched it. I don't know if he's guilty, but I think there was enough for reasonable doubt. I think it's possible the cops planted the evidence without framing him. I think it was his defense attorney who said you don't plant evidence on the innocent. You plant evidence to ensure the conviction of those you think are guilty.



I don't think the cops know how, where or when she died. I think they zeroed in on Mr. Avery and stopped doing any real investigating. This led to a shoddy investigation that they then had to "help" by conveniently finding the necessary evidence. I think they worked with Teresa Hallbach's family and searchers to find the car.



I think the nephew is a complete mental lightweight who didn't know what he was doing, what he was saying or anything. I feel for him to a degree because he doesn't seem to have much intelligence at all, but I don't think he was completely blameless. I don't think he wanted to confess and that he did want to tell the police what they wanted to hear. It's possible that, like I said, the police didn't do a good investigation, so they went fishing. He could have been a "catch" but they weren't leading him to where he would take them, but where they wanted him to go. That could be why he was so confused.



The final episode with the prosecutor's debauchery didn't seem to make sense. Not sure how relevant it was. The missing jury would have been more compelling if we had actually been told what the emergency was that saw them dismissed. Was it legit? Was it just the judge/prosecution getting rid of a strong believer in Mr. Avery's defense they didn't want tainting the other jurors. It's what they seemed to suggest, but without the reason, I thought it fell flat.



But I'm not also sold on the veracity of the entirety of the documentary. They basically followed this family and community that is less than 50 miles from Green Bay, Wisc. and I don't think I ever once saw ANY Packers gear. You mean to tell me, not ONE person in two and a half decades ever wore anything Packers related? That's just hard to follow. That's like saying, we're going to follow a murder suspect in Payson for nearly 30 years and never see any BYU gear.



And their accents were atrocious. I had to watch with subtitles. Were they Gaelic? Manx?



Some life lessons. Never talk to the police without legal counsel. Don't get on the wrong side of law enforcement. Don't throw cats doused with gasoline over a fire. Don't kill people.
G
Guest
I'm 90% convinced he didn't do it.



I'm 100% convinced the police planted evidence, and I think that will be proven eventually. Even if he did it, he should be freed due to the illegal activities of the police and judicial system.



My own personal theory is that the police found Teresa near her van where she had committed suicide and decided to kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak, and pin the whole thing on Avery who was about to cost them their jobs, their families, and their names.
S
snoscythe
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1013340_946600985420310_3092682679657427161_n.jpg?oh=cfd00c53e896d0441d4e640cff778ceb&oe=57093C90" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
One other thing that struck me as odd - and pretty much unrelated to the case - was the footage of her talking just before her death about how she wanted people to know she was happy and loved. What kind of 25-year old talks like that? I don't remember having those kinds of conversations when I was 25.



Maybe there is some truth to Hawk's suicide theory and the cops decided to pin it on Avery.
G
Guest
Many of which can be debunked themselves, the fact is, we'll probably never know for certain if he did it or not, but I don't believe anyone can argue or believe that the sheriffs did not plant evidence, and were aided by the sex abuser DA, and corrupt judge.
S
SpiffCoug
hawkwing wrote:
Many of which can be debunked themselves, the fact is, we'll probably never know for certain if he did it or not, but I don't believe anyone can argue or believe that the sheriffs did not plant evidence, and were aided by the sex abuser DA, and corrupt judge.

True, but I don't think the case is near as circumstantial and framed as the documentary wants to portray.
J
jvquarterback
SpiffCoug wrote:
Many of which can be debunked themselves, the fact is, we'll probably never know for certain if he did it or not, but I don't believe anyone can argue or believe that the sheriffs did not plant evidence, and were aided by the sex abuser DA, and corrupt judge.

True, but I don't think the case is near as circumstantial and framed as the documentary wants to portray.


Avery was framed. Maybe correctly, maybe incorrectly but Avery was almost certainly framed. I'm not sure if he did it but I'm nearly certain at least one cop framed him.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think he did it. I also think the police planted evidence to help ensure a conviction. And as such, much of that evidence should have been dismissed and not allowed. Based on that, I think a new trial, without that evidence should be conducted.
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
I'm 90% convinced he didn't do it.



I'm 100% convinced the police planted evidence... decided to kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak, and pin the whole thing on Avery who was about to cost them their jobs, their families, and their names.

Put me down at 95% for the 1st and 100% for the 2nd. And I'm a big fan of police.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
I'm 90% convinced he didn't do it.



I'm 100% convinced the police planted evidence... decided to kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak, and pin the whole thing on Avery who was about to cost them their jobs, their families, and their names.

Put me down at 95% for the 1st and 100% for the 2nd. And I'm a big fan of police.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Me too, which is why this case enrages me so much. These police have made all the hard working cops jobs a lot harder.
S
Schmoe
Brendan Dassey, the nephew the police railroaded, just had his conviction overturned. Great news.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
I'm really late to this ! I finally finished watching. I'm glad the federal judge intervened with regards to the teenaged boy. His lawyer failed him and that combined with his low intelligence suggested to me the the boy's confession was not valid.
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
Brendan Dassey, the nephew the police railroaded, just had his conviction overturned. Great news.

Wow, I hadn't heard!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.