Archived Topic

Most Unstoppable Backfield In History Never Happened

by snoscythe · 1/2/2016

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Watching the Rose Bowl yesterday, I had to wonder at just how unstoppable Stanford's offense would have been this season if (1) Taysom Hill had stuck with his Stanford commitment after his mission, and (2) Taysom Hill gave them a full senior season this year with Christian McCaffery in the backfield with him.



McCaffery/Hill could have been the most unstoppable backfield in NCAA football history, and it almost happened.
D
Ddawg
True. And it would have been incredible to watch. Still, I'm grateful beyond words Taysom Hill is a Cougar - as much as I like and respect Stanford. Like everyone else, I just wish Taysom could have stayed healthy. The last 2 years would have been sensational watching TH do his "thang".

8)
S
SpiffCoug
It could still happen. Stanford is losing their QB and I hear they have fairly decent graduate programs for students.
A
a1247
I would have been like watching Doman and Staley in 2001.
U
Ungoy
Except that McCaffery is better than Staley, and Taysom is better than Doman.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
Ungoy wrote:
Except that McCaffery is better than Staley, and Taysom is better than Doman.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


It would be interesting to see a healthy Staley in this Stanford offense. I wonder if there is really that much separating Staley from McCaffery.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Jarhead wrote:
Except that McCaffery is better than Staley, and Taysom is better than Doman.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


It would be interesting to see a healthy Staley in this Stanford offense. I wonder if there is really that much separating Staley from McCaffery.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


It would be interesting to compare 40 times. The other big intangible is lateral movement, change of direction, and vision.
S
Stirfry
:~( And here I thought this would be about a healthy taysom and a healthy jswag in their senior years. :~(







[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
Ungoy wrote:
Except that McCaffery is better than Staley, and Taysom is better than Doman.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




I don't feel like McCaffery is better than Staley. That's an opinion and IMO he's not. Domans senior year was great. But I do agree Hill is a better all around talent.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I know that stats are far from telling the whole story, but here's a look at McCaffrey vs Staley: Rushing Receiving

Att Yrds Avg TD Rec Yrds Avg TD

McCaffrey 337 2019 6.0 8 45 645 14.3 5

Staley 196 1596 8.1 24 32 334 10.4 4



I have never witnessed a more dominant running back in NCAA football than Luke Staley his senior year. Averaged roughly 17 points a game (and no, this isn't basketball). Dude was big, strong, fast, agile, shifty, explosive, amazing.



Aaaaaaaaand, all the time I took to format this thing just goes out the window when I post it, :sulk:
Advertisement
A
a1247
Schmoe wrote:
I know that stats are far from telling the whole story, but here's a look at McCaffrey vs Staley: Rushing Receiving

Att Yrds Avg TD Rec Yrds Avg TD

McCaffrey 337 2019 6.0 8 45 645 14.3 5

Staley 196 1596 8.1 24 32 334 10.4 4



I have never witnessed a more dominant running back in NCAA football than Luke Staley his senior year. Averaged roughly 17 points a game (and no, this isn't basketball). Dude was big, strong, fast, agile, shifty, explosive, amazing.



Aaaaaaaaand, all the time I took to format this thing just goes out the window when I post it, :sulk:


Don't forget Luke missed the first and last games of the year. He also didn't play in the bowl game. If you took his season averages he would have potentially had an additional 480+ yards rushing pushing him to almost 2100 yards rushing. Either way he was an amazing player. He and Taysom unfortunately have a lot in common.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.