Archived Topic

Bronco trying to take BYU players to Virginia

by Fido · 12/30/2015

Advertisement
F
Fido
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37944336&nid=272&title=report-byu-qb-taysom-hill-offered-by-uva&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Per Dick Harmon, Virginia's new staff have offered Cougar senior @T_Hill4 Taysom Hill and have told BYU walkon LB Scott Huntsman he could start for the Cavs.



Huntsman is a walk-on who planned to serve a mission in 2016-17 who managed to crack the 2 deep at LB as a freshman before suffering a season ending injury. Taysom Hill is one I didn't expect back but am a bit annoyed that Bronco is trying to poach missionaries from BYU. I thought Huntsman was very good friends with Charles West, so it will be interesting to see if their future is linked together.
S
Stirfry
I don't mind the taysom thing without more info. There's a lot going in to that.



The huntsman thing is annoying. It'll be interesting if huntsman follows s staff that wasn't willing to give him a scholly



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
1
1967cougar
I would not have expected anything different. If anything, I will be disappointed to see the Cougar faithful go on yet another "anti-Bronco" rampage. I think Bronco is an honorable man and is just doing the best he can for his program. Taysom's gotta do something. It's not like he would start for us next year without a ton of problems being caused. So let him go play for a coach and system he knows already. If Huntsman's a walk-on and 2nd stringer, let him go - unless we offer him a schollie. In fact, if anyone else wants to follow Bronco, more power to them! We will be fine. May all the nay-sayers enjoy their Alka-Seltzer over this. Me, I'm just excited to see what next year brings, no matter who is on our team.
B
BYULV
1967cougar wrote:
I would not have expected anything different. If anything, I will be disappointed to see the Cougar faithful go on yet another "anti-Bronco" rampage. I think Bronco is an honorable man and is just doing the best he can for his program. Taysom's gotta do something. It's not like he would start for us next year without a ton of problems being caused. So let him go play for a coach and system he knows already. If Huntsman's a walk-on and 2nd stringer, let him go - unless we offer him a schollie. In fact, if anyone else wants to follow Bronco, more power to them! We will be fine. May all the nay-sayers enjoy their Alka-Seltzer over this. Me, I'm just excited to see what next year brings, no matter who is on our team.


Except he was a walk on without a scholarship because of bronco, not because of BYU. You're making it sound like BYU wronged this poor walk on and Bronco will give him what he really deserves, a scholarship. If bronco really valued him in the first place, he would have found him a scholarship to play for BYU in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, Bronco has no more right talking to BYU players than any other coach out there. I believe it's an NCAA violation for him to be talking to or about players from other teams outside of Virginia. Being their previous coach does not give you special privileges.



EDIT: Now that I think about it, since he is a walk-on, any coach can talk to him whenever. He isn't bound by the letter of intent or contracted through his scholarship. It's still lame for bronco not to give him a scholarship at BYU the try to entice him away with a scholarship elsewhere.
G
Guest
I have absolutely no problem with Bronco contacting and offering anyone that plays/played at BYU as long as he follows all the NCAA rules about doing so (which I'm confident he is).



I also have no problem with Kalani offering and recruiting kids who committed to OSU, Utah, or anywhere else. If he can bring in graduate transfers, fantastic. That's how college football works.



Besides, we honestly have nothing to worry about losing players to UVA if Kalani is truly a better recruiter, which I believe he is, unless the situation is significantly better for said player somewhere else than at BYU, and in that case who could stand in their way?
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
We're all incredibly foolish to think that all the players on the team are happy with the new staff. I'm sure several, especially on defense, are exploring several options right now.



People are acting like they've never considered following a good boss or taking good employees when changing jobs.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
Bronco can poach players from BYU if he wants, but he loses stature in my eyes when he does it.
S
Stirfry
BYULV wrote:



EDIT: Now that I think about it, since he is a walk-on, any coach can talk to him whenever. He isn't bound by the letter of intent or contracted through his scholarship.

Is this correct? All non scholly players are basically free agents? I think Holmoe still has to give permission. Either that or because Hill is graduating and Huntsman is leaving school (mission) they may be more available but I don't think that's right with the mission.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
BYULV wrote:
Bronco can poach players from BYU if he wants, but he loses stature in my eyes when he does it.


Do you have any problem with Sitake "poaching" players from OSU?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I'm going to be really interested if a Taysom and JSwagg pairing ends upin Virginia.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BYULV
Schmoe wrote:
Bronco can poach players from BYU if he wants, but he loses stature in my eyes when he does it.


Do you have any problem with Sitake "poaching" players from OSU?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yes, but admittedly less of a problem than for Bronco. Bronco was the head guy, selling a different environment and kind of program. He is getting guys to come to BYU because it's BYU and the best fit for them as young men of faith. Now what does he say, it's not the school or the program that matters, it's me? He didn't sell a coach or football philosphy to the recruits as much as he sold them on the unique environment of BYU and the benefits it would have for their development as men and football players. How many times did he tout football is fifth? If the only reason they came to BYU was for Bronco then they should go with him and I'd have no problem with that. But I doubt there's more than a handful of guys that came solely because they wanted to play for Bronco. If Sitaki is bringing guys over that he sold on Oregon St. as a unique institution and not mainly because he would be their coach, then I don't think he should be bringing those guys to BYU either.
B
BOID
BYULV wrote:
BYULV wrote:
Bronco can poach players from BYU if he wants, but he loses stature in my eyes when he does it.


Do you have any problem with Sitake "poaching" players from OSU?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yes, but admittedly less of a problem than for Bronco. Bronco was the head guy, selling a different environment and kind of program. He is getting guys to come to BYU because it's BYU and the best fit for them as young men of faith. Now what does he say, it's not the school or the program that matters, it's me? He didn't sell a coach or football philosphy to the recruits as much as he sold them on the unique environment of BYU and the benefits it would have for their development as men and football players. How many times did he tout football is fifth? If the only reason they came to BYU was for Bronco then they should go with him and I'd have no problem with that. But I doubt there's more than a handful of guys that came solely because they wanted to play for Bronco. If Sitaki is bringing guys over that he sold on Oregon St. as a unique institution and not mainly because he would be their coach, then I don't think he should be bringing those guys to BYU either.


This makes some sense.



I think there is some difference between what Sitake has done, actively or passively to influence players that are as yet, just recruits, and what Bronco may have done. I don't know that he has actively sought out players that he knew would be free to transfer because of missions, or injury. If he has been doing that, then I would disapprove, regardless of whether it is an official violation of NCAA rules.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
I have to write this in segments, because my phone keeps blanking me out and deleting my message before I can finish and submit.



If players have been contacting Bronco and begging him to take them to VA, then, well, I can't fault him for that.



I suspect that Bronco had soured a little on his BYU gig, because of some annoyance he felt regarding the expectations of fans, boosters, Cougar Club, Holmoe, etc. I think that he resented the criticism that came back at him for not prioritizing the rivalry with the squad North of town. He wanted to avoid the distractions of said rivalry, but after several consecutive losses, it was building up to a point where something had to give.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
I suspect that when Bronco said, "The time had come," that he was talking about more than just money, but perhaps also making a veiled reference to his frustrations. He came in with lots of energy back in 2005, but I think his enthusiasm for BYU had waned some, and that he had been watching for a few years' time, for a worthy P5 offer to come his way.



I remain grateful to Bronco for the dignified way that he represented BYU and the program, for his defensive innovations that were very effective and entertaining, and for the way that he personally mentored and cared for the individual players and their problems. He was very good at those things.



Having said that, I would add that I am excited for the coaching changes, due to some anticipated improvements, particularly in the areas of recruiting, game planning, attention to the rivalry (vital to the local recruiting race), and offensive adjustments. I don't think I would trade back Sitake/Detmer/Tuiaki/Lamb for what we had before. The Detmer deal, by itself, is a development worthy of the overall exchange. Sitake and Tuiaki are awesome for team enthusiasm, preparation for in-state rivalry and especially recruiting against the rival, and Lamb brings some reassurance regarding the need for some head-coaching experience, considering the wonders that he worked for SUU.



I'm feeling revitalized as a fan, and am hopeful for some real elevation of the BYU program. There's going to be some Blue Cougar noise heard around the Nation.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
redneckjedi
Hypothetically, if I'm Taysom Hill, and my dream job really is NFL quarterback, and I'm given a chance to be coached to play the QB position by either Robert Anae and Jason Beck or Ty Detmer, I'm choosing Ty Detmer. He knows the NFL game and he's taught some of the NFL's greatest QBs of all time.



However, if I'm a walk-on LB being offered a scholarship to play in a defense I'm familiar with versus a new, unknown defense, I may just take that chance.
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
BOID wrote:
I suspect that when Bronco said, "The time had come," that he was talking about more than just money, but perhaps also making a veiled reference to his frustrations. He came in with lots of energy back in 2005, but I think his enthusiasm for BYU had waned some, and that he had been watching for a few years' time, for a worthy P5 offer to come his way.



I remain grateful to Bronco for the dignified way that he represented BYU and the program, for his defensive innovations that were very effective and entertaining, and for the way that he personally mentored and cared for the individual players and their problems. He was very good at those things.



Having said that, I would add that I am excited for the coaching changes, due to some anticipated improvements, particularly in the areas of recruiting, game planning, attention to the rivalry (vital to the local recruiting race), and offensive adjustments. I don't think I would trade back Sitake/Detmer/Tuiaki/Lamb for what we had before. The Detmer deal, by itself, is a development worthy of the overall exchange. Sitake and Tuiaki are awesome for team enthusiasm, preparation for in-state rivalry and especially recruiting against the rival, and Lamb brings some reassurance regarding the need for some head-coaching experience, considering the wonders that he worked for SUU.



I'm feeling revitalized as a fan, and am hopeful for some real elevation of the BYU program. There's going to be some Blue Cougar noise heard around the Nation.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

A very well thought out statement. I concur 100%.



I used to work for Frito-Lay as a sales and operations manager in Pensacola, FL. There was a saying that went around when a guy left the company. No matter how good a job he did, the saying was: "He never was any good anyway." Sometimes, in our zeal to want the very best for our program, we tend to feel that way about departing players and coaches. Sorta like when a hot looking girl breaks it off with you. "She never was any good anyway." The hot chick is still going on to be hot - just with someone else. Same with other coaches and players. For all the harm Crowton did to the football program, I still wished him luck in any endeavor he undertook. I was even supportive of Chow until he blocked the immediate transfer of that player from Hawaii to BYU. that was just being mean and onery.



I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a glorious dawn breaking. There's no reason to look back at the departing night and nitpick the ugly parts when it was an outstanding night overall. But the dawn is awesome!
H
hamaca
redneckjedi wrote:
Hypothetically, if I'm Taysom Hill, and my dream job really is NFL quarterback, and I'm given a chance to be coached to play the QB position by either Robert Anae and Jason Beck or Ty Detmer, I'm choosing Ty Detmer. He knows the NFL game and he's taught some of the NFL's greatest QBs of all time.



However, if I'm a walk-on LB being offered a scholarship to play in a defense I'm familiar with versus a new, unknown defense, I may just take that chance.


How about being coached by Jim Harbaugh?
H
hamaca
Gotta wonder how last year's starting QB for Virginia, who I believe will be back for his senior year, feels about Bronco offering Taysom.
B
blue42
BOID wrote:

I suspect that Bronco had soured a little on his BYU gig, because of some annoyance he felt regarding the expectations of fans, boosters, Cougar Club, Holmoe, etc. I think that he resented the criticism that came back at him for not prioritizing the rivalry with the squad North of town. He wanted to avoid the distractions of said rivalry, but after several consecutive losses, it was building up to a point where something had to give.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


While you may be right with this, Bronco has no one to blame but himself. Don't get me wrong, I was a Bronco supporter and thought he did a fantastic job of reviving BYU football and was sad when he first announced he was leaving, but he came in talking of National Championships and quest for perfection etc., so how can he get annoyed by fans expectations when he was preaching the exact same thing?
R
redneckjedi
hamaca wrote:
Hypothetically, if I'm Taysom Hill, and my dream job really is NFL quarterback, and I'm given a chance to be coached to play the QB position by either Robert Anae and Jason Beck or Ty Detmer, I'm choosing Ty Detmer. He knows the NFL game and he's taught some of the NFL's greatest QBs of all time.



However, if I'm a walk-on LB being offered a scholarship to play in a defense I'm familiar with versus a new, unknown defense, I may just take that chance.


How about being coached by Jim Harbaugh?


Good question, and I don't know the answer to that one. That's why I left him out of the discussion. :)
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.