Archived Topic

Kaufusi/Holliday/Howell

by EM_Puma · 12/28/2015

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Anyone have any idea why, if Kaufusi/Holliday/Tidwell be added to Sitake's staff, why no word yet?



I can only imagine that Sitake is giving Detmer and Tuiaki the opportunity to make their own decision, concerning their staff, without any pressure.



It would seem a slam dunk for Kaufusi, if any of the three, because he too is a former BYU player. I'm still amazed there has been NO word out of Cougartown from his camp since this whole thing went down. No word about why he didn't go with CBM and no word about his future with the current staff. It appears to me that most believe it's almost a foregone conclusion, but the delay only can mean that it's up to the new OC and new DC and they are looking at options.



I don't listen to SLC sports radio. Has there been any word from those "experts" on local college football as to why no word? (Warning="experts" totally TIC).



It seems like it would be easy to make an educated guess. I'm sure CBM's staff has cleared their offices out. What's the status of the offices of these three?



I don't know on an "official" basis, what happens when a NCAA coach, who has subordinates, is released from his contract. I don't believe we normally hear that the AD tells all the others that they are terminated, or it's just in their contract. I think everyone assumes they are terminated with their boss.
C
CrimsonCoug
I was just going to post a similar thread, but you asked much better questions (on their contracts, office space) than I was going to ask.



And what's with Wintrich? I'd be surprised if he didn't go with Bronco, but I haven't heard anything on him, and figure that I would have by now (or did I miss it)?



Nick Howell is going.



The other question mark is Paul Tidwell. Haven't seen anything on him.



My guess is that Kaufusi and Tidwell would choose retirement over moving out of state at this point. Especially Kaufusi. Hoping we keep him. And Holliday. I'm indifferent on Tidwell--I haven't seen his name pop up much in the press over the years--which is surprising given how long he's been there.
F
Fido
Tidwell is not going with Bronco. But the word is that Wintrich is. So the 3 on the staff that have not been relieved of their duties or announced they are leaving BYU is:

Defensive Line Coach: Steve Kaufusi

Inside Linebackers Coach: Paul Tidwell

Receivers Coach: Guy Holliday



I would think that now the DC and OC are in place, that the position coaches will be worked out. I would think Kaufusi is a favorite to stay and Holliday is also a popular coach with both players and fans. I don't know much about Tidwell, but would assume these 3 are here until we hear word that they aren't. Guy Holliday is active on twitter and basically said that he is here until he is told he can't be.
U
urroner
Fido wrote:
I would think that now the DC and OC are in place, that the position coaches will be worked out.


I think you hit the nail on the head of why who the other coaches are going to be hasn't been announced. It's because the OC and DC had to be hired first. Now they have be hired, it will probably be short time before the other coaches are announced.
S
snoscythe
I like Tidwell better than Kaufusi or Holliday.You look at the position groups he's coached, and they've always been the most dependable points of BYU's team in those years:



2000-03 = running backs and recruiting coordinator for Crowton years. (McDonald, Staley, Whalen, Braithwaite, Fahu Tahi)

2005-present = inside linebackers coach (Cam Jensen, Poppinga, Staffieri, Clawson, Spencer Hadley, Ogletree, Kaveinga, Uani Unga, Harvey Langi etc., plus what he did with converted guys like Mike Alisa)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
H
hamaca
I thought decisions on all open coaching positions were to be announced today. Been following the twitter feed for any update on whether it will in fact happen.
B
blue42
CrimsonCoug wrote:
The other question mark is Paul Tidwell. Haven't seen anything on him.



I haven't seen his name pop up much in the press over the years--which is surprising given how long he's been there.


I guess this is like an O lineman, you don't hear much about them until they make a mistake.



I agree with Sno, the positions he has coached have done very well. When the ILB do well people say it was because of Bronco's defensive scheme, and the ILB haven't done too many things wrong over the years so no need to call attention or call for Tidwell to be on the chopping block.
J
jvquarterback
Over on rumorboard people are saying Tidwell may get an administrative position for personal/family reasons. The ILB play has fallen off a bit the past couple years. Not sure if we can lay that at Tidwell's feet or not.



Also on rumorboard Wintrich is long gone.



Kaufusi and Holliday may stay.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.