cougarapologist wrote:
Watching the Bowl game on Saturday, I came to a realization: BYU needs to stop trying to be anything other than who we are.
What does that mean?
1. Admit and accept that our #1 purpose should be on being good representatives of the Church over winning. Sure we keep trying to be a successful program, but its more important to be good examples rather than win every game. Gotta get rid of "dirty" play.
2. If we cannot get a Big 12 invite within the next year, go back to the MWC.
3. Continue to schedule as big as we can, but accept our status. It worked for us in the Edwards era. The only reason we are thinking that we "deserve" Power 5 status is our desire not to be left behind by Utah.
4. Quit measuring ourselves by what Utah does.
5. Embrace our uniqueness. The service academies do this quite well. BYU is not the same as the academies, but we are not like other FBS programs either. Let's be who we are and enjoy it more!!
#1 OK
#2 Disagree wholeheartedly. I can't see how that is positive (to go back to MWC if we can't get into P5 conference) and I really want to be in a conference. For basketball and other sports I believe the MWC is okay, but not football. I don't want to go back to Laramie, et al. Not interested. I'm more interested in either a new conference or the American, but besides having the opportunity for games to mean something for a conference championship, I still like playing loaded schedules against the P5 teams.
#3 I don't disagree whatsoever that Utah deserved to be invited to the PAC 12 and TCU to the B12, but that's where it ends. Besides not having gone to a BCS game, BYU, across the board, taking into consideration sports/athletics/fan support/etc. was and is ahead of both of those teams. We got shafted and I don't see how you can debate that. You can't say with a straight face that BYU doesn't deserve or isn't at the level of most P5 and are above many others. It doesn't have anything to do with Utah, only they keep snubbing their noses at us now, when they were for decades the "little brother". I'm still not convinced that if Utah had a stadium the size of the big boys that they could even garner as much attendance as BYU. There is no indication of that. I do believe, over time, that could change as I've lived in Utah county for 14 years now and the amount of Utah fans has increased considerably because BYU keeps admitting more non-Utah people than anyone else and they don't tend to stay here after school is done. That does affect local support big time. At this pace, with most Utahans having only the option to go to any college other than BYU, it's going to have long term affects. It's great for when BYU goes on the road, because it "appears" that we travel well. The truth is our newest BYU fans are in everywhere but Utah.
#4 I don't believe most of the rank and file BYU do, so I disagree with this observation. Having to co-habitat the same location in Utah, I don't ever remember seeing either team not constantly measuring themselves against one another. That's what I loved about the article last week by the ESPN writer that said for as much as Utah fans claim they don't care about the rivalry, they sure spent a whole lot of time arguing the topic. He got it--they do care and always will. They believe that by "pretending" they are this much bigger program than BYU, that they don't have to look at us any more, after having been decidedly the "little brother" during the LaVell era. That's all hogwash.
#5 I'd have to say that I believe that was what was driving Bronco more than anything. It sounds more to me that a lot of BYU fans want us to shift back to focus on what wins the games and not be that flagship that BYU portends. It's a very difficult balancing act, because it is hard to be both. We have a BOT that understands the perspective that BYU fans, I believe, should have, but then we're playing in a real sport and we want to win AND be seen as the good guy. I don't know if that is possible. To do so, you almost have to cheat to get there. How many times have you watched an NCAA football game and if players on a particular team are adept at being able to hide that they hold receivers, etc. (cheating in my book) that they are applauded and hailed for their coaches to have been successful in teaching their team to effectively get away with it. I don't know if anything boils my blood more than to see that happen over and over again. It's not bad if you don't get caught mentality. Do you believe that will ever change? I don't, so it's almost like in today's game, BYU football will never be highly successful using the metrics that are used on everyone else. Does that mean that I don't believe that some of that stuff isn't taught to our players? I'm not that naive, but really should it? Upon that topic I struggle and why it's good to have a secondary team (for me Ohio State because of where I grew up) that I can cheer in this secular world we live in, but my heart belongs to BYU.