Archived Topic

I'm glad Bronco/Anae are gone

by Mars · 12/21/2015

Advertisement
M
Mars


For some people, this would be beating a dead horse. For me, it's a new feeling. I've always been a Bronco supporter. I've always been an Anae supporter. Even after they announced their upcoming departures to Virginia. But that ended Saturday.



Bronco got to choose his own storyline in how he went out. Unfortunately, he went out like he came in, gutless. Attempting a field goal down 0-35? The comeback was despite Bronco, not because of him (see Houk's comments). It was the typical rivalry game for the past half a decade- Both completely unprepared and afraid. And yet Bronco was proud because they "tried"- that's a loser mentality.



If Bronco was still here, I would be calling for him to be fired. So yes, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Next man up. Go Cougars.
S
stuckinbig10country
I'll miss Bronco's defensive acumen. I will not miss Anae.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
what did houk say?
S
SpiffCoug
BroncoBot wrote:
what did houk say?

He said the fans were kind of out it and the coaches were kind of out of it, so the players took it upon themselves to turn the game around.



I think he's right. There was a strong contingent of BYU fans and we were virtually silent from the 4th play of the game to the 1st BYU touchdown. We didn't really start getting back into the game fully until we scored to make it 35-21. That was when we thought there was real chance that just maybe, this could happen.



The FG attempt was a clear signal for me from Bronco to the players and fans that he didn't think they could come back.
G
Gunk
Amen, Mars. Anyone feeling sad about Bronco leaving, needs to keep in mind Bronco ran out on BYU.



I look forward to seeing some fire on the sidelines from a coaching staff.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
what did houk say?

He said the fans were kind of out it and the coaches were kind of out of it, so the players took it upon themselves to turn the game around.



I think he's right. There was a strong contingent of BYU fans and we were virtually silent from the 4th play of the game to the 1st BYU touchdown. We didn't really start getting back into the game fully until we scored to make it 35-21. That was when we thought there was real chance that just maybe, this could happen.



The FG attempt was a clear signal for me from Bronco to the players and fans that he didn't think they could come back.


YES! It was like he was trying to avoid a shut out. Or something equally irrational.



The coaches were out of it????? WTH? All my Free Bronco points just got vindicated. They weren't prepared coming into the game--or were arrogant enough or indifferent enough to their opponent that they just didn't have time for film work or any kind of memory of past losses. This only makes it a bigger joke that Bronco coached the bowl.

The fact that plAyers had to step up and care about the outcome is quite frankly pathetic of coaches. Wel, at least they rallied around each other and served as a band of brothers. Stunning.
S
Sammich
I've got this unreasonably strong sense of loyalty toward BYU but also to the people associated with it; anyone attacking Bronco always felt like an attack on BYU to me, even when logically I knew that connection wasn't intended. However, that same sense of loyalty turned into a strong feeling of betrayal when Bronco left and took most of the coaches with him. The bowl game only cemented my feelings, now I'm incredibly angry at someone who I was fanatically supportive of just a few weeks ago. It's strange and illogical but I just can't get over it.



On the other hand, in some ways it makes the bowl loss easier to stomach feeling like Bronco screwed us out of something we totally deserved and were capable of achieving if he hadn't gotten in the way. :D



I guess it's time to change my profile icon.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sammich, you are the man. I always love your posts. I wouldn't sweat it. It's never "all or nothing" in most things in life. There few absolutes. Bronco did a lot of really solid things. I still maintain some concern with his departure, some sadness he is gone; and once he turned and ran for the money, it was time to cut ties. An interim coach had as much chance to win as Bronco did, given Whitt totally has Broncos number.

On a side note. It is no coincidence that even KWhitt said hiring KS will help ease some of the bad blood (or whatever he said) between universities.

I'm glad it's over with Bronco. I do actually wish him well. But it's finally time turn the table on this rivalry. Go KS! Go Cougs!
J
Jarhead
The field goal in the first half, the punt in the second half, and choosing not to onside kick at the end are all standard things I've come to expect from Bronco that I will not miss. Add to that coming weakly out of the gate every time we play Utah.



I will not miss all of those things. Here's to hoping that Sitake and Holmoe can put together a staff that will not make me miss the other good things that Bronco brought to the table.



I am less confident that Bronco could have gotten us to the next level. And I blame him fully for not better preparing our team for the bowl game when he had no trouble performing his duties for Virginia.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
I've thought Bronco was what BYU needed and did a very fine job for BYU and the young men who played FB there and I still think that. BUT I was very disappointed with his announcing before the season was over. It was a distraction to fans and to the players and to the coaches. And it runs counter to the sort of loyalty that Bronco preached. Announcing early means Bronco had something less in the game than if he was "all in." And it showed. Going for the FG was perhaps the best example of being half in there is. For now he will be known as Bronco Mendenhalf.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
And at the same time he has done way more good than bad and took a huge. Gamble in sticking around for a game vs a rival that has owned him. If he had dodged of his own choice, it probably would have been a much more significant gaffe.

But I do wish he could have persuaded UVA to wait until after bowl game.



As for managing expectations for the new coaching staff. Getting to the "next level" is so implausible given BYUs recruiting challenges. And BYU is not letting up on academic advancement. They are raising the bar on gpa and act per rumors out of other sports. I don't know if there is a low, set cap, but its tough. Anyway, my only additional expectation is that BYU at least split 50/50 on beating rival utah and rarely if ever lose to the Aggies. Even doing just that will put BYU in a one notch improved situation, which in a favorable schedule, such as this years, could render a NY6 bowl.
S
Sammich
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Sammich, you are the man. I always love your posts. I wouldn't sweat it. It's never "all or nothing" in most things in life. There few absolutes. Bronco did a lot of really solid things. I still maintain some concern with his departure, some sadness he is gone; and once he turned and ran for the money, it was time to cut ties. An interim coach had as much chance to win as Bronco did, given Whitt totally has Broncos number.

On a side note. It is no coincidence that even KWhitt said hiring KS will help ease some of the bad blood (or whatever he said) between universities.

I'm glad it's over with Bronco. I do actually wish him well. But it's finally time turn the table on this rivalry. Go KS! Go Cougs!

Thanks Cougs_Rule! I think it's fine to be grateful for the good and upset at the bad without hypocrisy. Laman and Lemuel did some commendable things too before they decided to turn on their family. That said, I'm pretty sure the amount of anger I've got is unhealthy and I need to let it all go. I'll get right on that after I've let it stew for a while. :whistle:
S
Sammich
BoiseBYU wrote:
I've thought Bronco was what BYU needed and did a very fine job for BYU and the young men who played FB there and I still think that. BUT I was very disappointed with his announcing before the season was over. It was a distraction to fans and to the players and to the coaches. And it runs counter to the sort of loyalty that Bronco preached. Announcing early means Bronco had something less in the game than if he was "all in." And it showed. Going for the FG was perhaps the best example of being half in there is. For now he will be known as Bronco Mendenhalf.

Yeah, this all coming from the guy that prized honor so much that he would kneel out the game on the one yard line with the third string on the field, and never gave up the grudge against the fans for booing his kicker. :sulk:
U
Ungoy
I'm in the same boat as Mars. Unfortunately for Bronco, he cemented his legacy on Saturday. His unwavering approach of not treating the rivalry game as anything but another game was and is wrong. They say that insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. I feel that's how Bronco is when it comes to Utah. He didn't do anything to fire the team up and calm their nerves, and it cost them tremendously in the first 10 minutes of the game.



Bronco cemented himself as a good coach who can't motivate his team to get up for big games, and rolls over when things get bad. He also ensured that nobody at this point will be sad to see him go. We could be worse off next season, but at this point I don't care. We needed a new coach.



There's no way on this green earth that kicking a field goal down 35-0 is the right thing to do. It was gutless and cowardly. Bronco should've been shuffled out of town before the bowl.
S
snoscythe
IMHO, Bronco's most positive and lasting legacy will be the administrative and organizational structure he implemented and leaves in place at BYU.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
snoscythe wrote:
IMHO, Bronco's most positive and lasting legacy will be the administrative and organizational structure he implemented and leaves in place at BYU.


Agreed, but maybe also he "saved" the program from termination or irrelevance?
N
nuk13
BoiseBYU wrote:
I've thought Bronco was what BYU needed and did a very fine job for BYU and the young men who played FB there and I still think that. BUT I was very disappointed with his announcing before the season was over. It was a distraction to fans and to the players and to the coaches. And it runs counter to the sort of loyalty that Bronco preached. Announcing early means Bronco had something less in the game than if he was "all in." And it showed. Going for the FG was perhaps the best example of being half in there is. For now he will be known as Bronco Mendenhalf.


Yes, why wasn't there enough, I think the word is honor, that this announcement couldn't have waited until after the game with Utah? I don't like to imply that but until I find out differently there will be a bit of a negative for me.



He also dropped a peg or 2 for me by letting Utah wallop us 35 - 0 almost before everyone was in their seats. I don't know if it was his or the teams fault but surely he and his staff could have prepared them better than that! This is not just another game!



I said it before and here it is again; I sure miss coach Edwards. Here's to Sitake his former player. Bring us back to where we were. There's a lot of other former players that can help.
I
Isola
nuk13 wrote:

He also dropped a peg or 2 for me by letting Utah wallop us 35 - 0 almost before everyone was in their seats. I don't know if it was his or the teams fault but surely he and his staff could have prepared them better than that! This is not just another game!

Come on...Mangum scrambles and fumbles...clearly Bronco's to blame.



Three tipped or batted passes intercepted...That is on Bronco.



The only one you could possibly put on Bronco is the botched exchange on Canada's first carry of the year. Maybe Canada shouldn't be in there, but come on.



Plus, during Sitake's press conference he was asked about the Utah game and he said "It's the second game next year, so I'm not thinking about it yet" and later talked about trying to make it more civil.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
I personally agree with the comments in this thread. I have been pretty mellow and have supported Bronco for as long as he was a BYU employee. I was growing weary of the people on this site who took every opportunity to hijack a positive thread with their rants against Bronco and his staff. But now that he chose to leave, I am ready for the change. Kind of excited, actually.

I have two related thoughts:

1 - I think it was cool that Hawkwing put the new wallpaper thanking Bronco. But its time to change to "Welcome Coach" (with a picture of KS, of course).

2 - I'm frustrated that those who defended Bronco are now so negative about the new hire. Didn't they get tired of the negativity of the ones who attacked their guy? Cant they see that they are now as obnoxious as the Bronco Haters were? We get it already, you don't like KS. please stop hijacking threads and starting new threads with the same old arguments about OSU having a bad defense!
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:


Attempting a field goal down 0-35? The comeback was despite Bronco, not because of him (see Houk's comments).


Let's put this rumor to bed, unless someone has something different (I've been looking and this is the best I've found).



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjesxSHeeTM



Houk calls ANAE and BRONCO fathers to him see 1:35

Says that he took it upon himself as a senior to not let another Michigan game happen.

Not sure what Houk comments relates to the comeback being despite Bronco...?



If anything he took a dig at fans (our fans are great but sometimes they leave you...) OUCH! see 2:35.



If there was ever a time to lay into anae or bronco Houk had his chance right there. And he only had good things to say...
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.