Archived Topic

Assist. Coaches and My ignernz

by urroner · 12/15/2015

Advertisement
U
urroner
Maybe I'm only looking for a reason that doesn't make BYU fans look like jerks for why Coach Bronco was able to filch so many assistant coaches from BYU, but I really don't know any animosity held by the AC towards BYU. I ain't got no inside info and, besides, I have to work for a living.



So, I ask myself, if I were an AC AND the head coach, Coach B, was going some place else, AND Coach B has asked me to go with him, AND I didn't know who the new coach, Coach X, is going to be, AND realizing Coach X might not like my style of coaching, AND, if he doesn't, I will have to find a new job, AND I love coaching, AND realizing the chances of getting a coaching job at the university level ain't very easy, what would I do?



All I know, if I were that AC, there are two sure things:

1. I have a job with Coach B who knows me and there's probably a nice pay raise waiting for me at the other university.

2. If I don't grab that brass ring, there a good probability I'm going to end up without a job in a couple of weeks and it's going to be hard getting a job like the one I have at the other university.



People, I'm going to grab that brass ring and go with Coach B, even though I might be leaving a job I absolutely love, because that job might not be there much longer.



Am I thinking like a liberal here, or IOW, has my thinking become confused, addled, perverted, obfuscated, stupefied, vacuous, and labyrinthine? Have I become an inonnu to myself?
B
BOID
No, urroner, I think you've got it straight.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Bird in hand is better than any number on the bush. I don't fault any of the assistant coaches for going. It's also easier to find a job when you have a job. So, take the offer. If you don't end up liking it, go find a new job.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
This is how I see it.



Imagine I'm one of the top managers at a high profile startup. CEO decides to sell out to Apple, good for him. He's going to take his money and go start another startup, with guaranteed funding and a job for me if I want it.



Or...



I can take my chances and hope that Apple will choose to hold on to me, even though they already have a guy in-house, who they know and fits their company culture.



It wouldn't take me long to decide that a guaranteed job is much better than a possible job in the future, depending upon how things work out.
S
scott715
There is a chance we steal someone from Bronco's staff. They have not started at UVA yet and we need to get our coach hired. Someone might come back for a promotion.
Advertisement
G
Guest
scott715 wrote:
There is a chance we steal someone from Bronco's staff. They have not started at UVA yet and we need to get our coach hired. Someone might come back for a promotion.


Very true.



It's not even entirely out of the realm of possibility that we hire Anae as HC still.
G
Gunk
If I am Anae, I take the bird in hand and keep talking to BYU. Things don't pan out with BYU, he still has a job that pays better than his previous job.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Gunk wrote:
If I am Anae, I take the bird in hand and keep talking to BYU. Things don't pan out with BYU, he still has a job that pays better than his previous job.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Per Dick Harmon on Ben Criddle's show this evening, Anae was informed by Holmoe very early that Anae was not being considered. As Dick put it, those two are close friends from their playing days, and Holmoe took it as a matter of friendship to let Anae know early on exactly how things stood, and that Anae appreciated having that certainty early on instead of TH being polite and putting Robert through the motions to make him feel better but otherwise wasting his time.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.