Archived Topic

Question re: New LDS recruits & Bronco

by vancouvercougar · 12/15/2015

Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
Do you think that Bronco will go after the best LDS recruits to lure them to UVA?? Or will he leave that alone?
I
IowaCougar
I certainly don't think he'll ignore the LDS recruits. He'll go after the best recruits that will fit what he wants to do there, and I anticipate that would include the best LDS recruits.
G
Guest
I'd assume he will go after the kids he think will help UVA the most, LDS or not.
R
redneckjedi
Why bother doing that when you can just go after the best recruits, period? Now, if an LDS recruit is also one of the best at his position, yeah, he'll be all over that. But I have no reason to think he'll try and monopolize LDS recruits at a state school. Such an approach could lead to legal issues, in fact.
U
urroner
I expect him to be the best coach he can be and that includes going after the best players possible, LDS or not. Why would he ever want to have a hands-off policy when it comes to recruiting good players who are Mormons? If he did otherwise, I'd be disappointed.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
But dont think for a moment that he would hold back on recruiting a BYU kid.

My prediciton is he has a little bit of axe to grind. He always has had a chip on his shoulder.

He won't want anything "bad" to happen to BYU but virtually this whole staff has turn coated eastward and there does not seem to being love lost toward BYUS. Particularly for Anae.

BYU is potentially in a boatload of trouble. My prediciton is they will have to piecemeal a staff together and they will not be ready for Sept 2016.

And with Ken staying at navy, BYU would be darn lucky to scramble and save Sitake.

Ultimately, this is about BU wanting prime rib on a pork hop budget. This is a huge defining moment for BUUfootball. Either there is a master plan and TH has it all put together OR TH pulls a rabbit out of his hat; or BYU is in deep doodoo and will show why they don't belong Ina P5. Could lead to heend of sports altogether. Bc they won't pay going rate. Too bad, really. At this point hope KS is temple worthy BC im not sure there is anyone else. Anderson formstanford? Maybe.
S
Schmoe
Yes, taking a better-paying job and sticking with the guys you know you work well with is being a turncoat. They all must have axes to grind...
C
Cougs_Rule
Schmoe wrote:
Yes, taking a better-paying job and sticking with the guys you know you work well with is being a turncoat. They all must have axes to grind...


The coaching turnover at BYU is unprecedented. That's a long way to move your family for slight to moderate increases. To suggest Anae doesn't Have bitter feelings is off.
S
stuckinbig10country
I think he'll spend sometime going after the top LDS guys, and he can use the large number of Mormon's on staff as a selling point, but he won't go overboard. He's going to stick with the normal recruiting areas UVa has to be good in: Northern VA, DC, Maryland, Florida, Carolinas, PA, and OH. The staff may be able to pull some from Texas and CA that UVa hasn't gotten in the past.
S
Schmoe
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Yes, taking a better-paying job and sticking with the guys you know you work well with is being a turncoat. They all must have axes to grind...


The coaching turnover at BYU is unprecedented. That's a long way to move your family for slight to moderate increases. To suggest Anae doesn't Have bitter feelings is off.


And these statements are based on what, exactly?
Advertisement
F
Fido
I think Anae would have stayed if he was a top candidate for head coach. But I think in the early conversations he realized he was down the pecking order and took the OC offer Bronco extended him. If he waited the OC with Bronco might not have still been there should he miss out on the HC position with BYU. His comments in the press about going where his skills are valued were either because he is always that grumpy with media people or because he was offended. Either way I'm not sure it makes a difference. The new HC may or may not have retained any of these guys anyhow. I do hope they keep Kaufusi and Holliday. But if the new coach goes with his guys I'll support it.
G
Gunk
For sure Bronco will leverage his LDS connections. Not doing so would be dumb on his part. The fact he's LDS and coaching a P5 program actually hurts us. He can go to a 4/5 star LDS prospect and reassure the recruit that they won't have to compromise their religion that it's an LDS-safe environment. He can honor scholarships for mission-bound players, and the recruit gets to play at a P5 program.



Look at Stanford, Utah, and other "LDS-safe" P5 schools. They get top LDS talent. Bronco is no fool. If there is a top recruit that's LDS, he'll go after them and with 10 years of experience recruiting LDS players he'll have a significant advantage. BYU's chances of getting top LDS talent just got worse.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
McY
Does anyone happen to know on average, what percentage of recruited players who end up on the roster are LDS and how many are non-members?



I also wonder how many active LDS potential recruits are set on BYU as their #1 choice, regardless of what other schools might be interested. If I come from an active LDS family with BYU roots, and BYU wants me on the team, I can see BYU being my #1 choice, even to the point where the Head Coach is almost a non-factor in my decision of where to play. On the other hand, if I want to play the field (no pun intended), it seems to me the Head Coach (and staff) would have significant influence on my decision. Of course, I'm sure many other factors are relevant to the decision. I never played college ball, so can't say I have my own experience from which to draw. I also know there are at least some LDS potential recruits, particularly who have no BYU roots so to speak, that do not necessarily feel a strong desire to play for BYU. Not sure what the point of this post is, except it is provided free of charge and you can put as much value in this post as you paid for it. :crazy: :bug:
M
mtnradio
McY wrote:
Does anyone happen to know on average, what percentage of recruited players who end up on the roster are LDS and how many are non-members?


During one of the Bronco Mendenhall shows this year he actually gave this statistic ... IIRC, there are about 10% non-LDS students at BYU and the football team is about 19% non-LDS. I may be off on those percentages, but it struck me that the team was nearly double the rate of the school in general.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.