Archived Topic

Coaching poll II

by BroncoBot · 12/11/2015

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
After letting it simmer for a while, who do you BELIEVE will end up with coaching position at BYU? Note - This isn't who you WANT to be at BYU.



The poll :D is my list of most to least probable.



YOU CAN VOTE FOR 3!
K
KingCoug
You can add another vote for Andersen. I meant to vote for him as I'm undecided between he and Niumatalolo. Really not sure about Sitake at this point.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mtnradio
your list of probabilities is probably correct ... within a standard deviation.
G
Gunk
You left me off the list. I am a temple worthy Mormon and have two years of HC experience, albeit it's with my kids' soccer teams, but sports are sports, kids are people too, and it's more HC experience than many on the list.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
How about adding Lavell Edwards to the list for a one year run to give TH time to find someone to be the HC.



Also add to the list, a member of the BOT so that they can experience it first hand.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
How about Gifford Nielsen? He's already a GA so they could just assign him to coach and spend more $$ for OC and DC

;)
S
stuckinbig10country
The meeting on Monday is likely a formality now. Ken N will be the next head coach. I don't think he's the guy Tom would have hired in a vacuum, but the men in that tall building in SLC are getting the guy they want.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
stuckinbig10country wrote:
The meeting on Monday is likely a formality now. Ken N will be the next head coach. I don't think he's the guy Tom would have hired in a vacuum, but the men in that tall building in SLC are getting the guy they want.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I like Ken N. he would be the only candidate that I would have picked from all the candidates that are mentioned (with the exception of Andy Reid and he is not coming to BYU). Having said that, I think that Ken N. is a lateral move from Bronco, not a step up but at least he is not a step backwards which IMO all the other candidates would be especially the former ute coaches that everyone is clamoring for.
D
Ddawg
My hope is that the new HC is Lance Anderson. My logic, he has already recruited and coached and succeeded at a high level in the PAC-12. At Stanford they call Lance a "Wizard." He is the real deal.



My 2nd choice for HC is Ken N. A proven winner in a restricted recruiting program. More restrictive than BYU's in many ways. Not as restrictive on other ways. My only concern is, could he effectively coach a Tanner Mangum and continue the legendary passing legacy that BYU has. I think concern about his ability to effective manage a passing offense are legit.



My 3rd choice for HC - like him or not - is Kyle Whittingham. A proven recruiter and HC winner against major Div.1 teams.



To me, this is nerve wracking drama. I do not like Bronco leaving and taking all the coaching talent with him at all. Folks will be surprised how far BYU performance falls if Tom Holmoe does not make the right choice here.
F
frdbtr
Ddawg wrote:
My hope is that the new HC is Lance Anderson. My logic, he has already recruited and coached and succeeded at a high level in the PAC-12. At Stanford they call Lance a "Wizard." He is the real deal.



My 2nd choice for HC is Ken N. A proven winner in a restricted recruiting program. More restrictive than BYU's in many ways. Not as restrictive on other ways. My only concern is, could he effectively coach a Tanner Mangum and continue the legendary passing legacy that BYU has. I think concern about his ability to effective manage a passing offense are legit.



My 3rd choice for HC - like him or not - is Kyle Whittingham. A proven recruiter and HC winner against major Div.1 teams.



To me, this is nerve wracking drama. I do not like Bronco leaving and taking all the coaching talent with him at all. Folks will be surprised how far BYU performance falls if Tom Holmoe does not make the right choice here.


I picked Lance Anderson as my second choice, I don't have a third choice. I have Anderson as my second choice because there have been some good coordinators that have been bad head coaches so the fact that he has no HC experience is a gamble IMO.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
frdbtr wrote:
My hope is that the new HC is Lance Anderson. My logic, he has already recruited and coached and succeeded at a high level in the PAC-12. At Stanford they call Lance a "Wizard." He is the real deal.



My 2nd choice for HC is Ken N. A proven winner in a restricted recruiting program. More restrictive than BYU's in many ways. Not as restrictive on other ways. My only concern is, could he effectively coach a Tanner Mangum and continue the legendary passing legacy that BYU has. I think concern about his ability to effective manage a passing offense are legit.



My 3rd choice for HC - like him or not - is Kyle Whittingham. A proven recruiter and HC winner against major Div.1 teams.



To me, this is nerve wracking drama. I do not like Bronco leaving and taking all the coaching talent with him at all. Folks will be surprised how far BYU performance falls if Tom Holmoe does not make the right choice here.


I picked Lance Anderson as my second choice, I don't have a third choice. I have Anderson as my second choice because there have been some good coordinators that have been bad head coaches so the fact that he has no HC experience is a gamble IMO.


Very true. I'm leaning heavily on his recruiting ability - as Lance is in charge of Stanford's recruiting. In college, IMHO, recruiting is equal in importance as the "X's and O's".
Y
YNot
I'm on the KN bandwagon. He's a great fit for running BYU's program - which is much more than just X's and O's of football. He can be the mission president-esque CEO that can lead BYU's young men in battle - and maintain the 5 priorities. I think he will be a step up from Bronco in the sense that he will approach booster, alumni, and media relations in a more friendly and willing way - which will pay BIG dividends in the long run.



And, I truly think Holmoe will land Sitaki at DC and asst. HC - for less money than he's making at Oregon St. (but still $600K or so salary). Sitaki is a Blue Blood and will welcome the opportunity to come home to BYU.



And, I do think Detmer is a legitimate candidate at OC. Great fit for Taysom's last year and Mangum's career. Hopefully, we have some catching TE's on the 2016 roster!



Hold onto your seats - I think BYU is going to have an EXCEPTIONAL 2016 recruiting class!



Despite the tough schedule and new staff, 2016 should still be a good season - but I don't expect an undefeated season or anything, so I'm not buying tickets to the 2016 NY6 bowl just yet.
I
Isola
Here is how I see it.



Lance Anderson: His success with defense and recruiting gives him the highest ceiling. But while Stanford's academic standards are a recruiting challenge, it is nothing like BYU's, which he has no experience with. It could go wonderfully right, or pretty wrong. Plus he does not have HC experience.



KWhitt: Not as high of ceiling as we pretty much know what we would be getting. Could be sticky for alumni and fans. Seems really unlikely.



Sitake: Not as proven as a coordinator or recruiter as Anderson, which lowers his ceiling. He is a BYU guy, which would help, and Polynesian which could help with that recruiting, especially with Anae leaving.



Ken: Proven as a head coach. Deals with tough recruiting situation. Knows how to live in a bright LDS spotlight. Mission President Head Coach. Polynesian which could help with that recruiting, especially with Anae leaving. Unlikely the program sees a drop off or major embarrassment.



Anderson is a promising candidate, but considering who the decision makers are, my bet is Coach Ken. I doubt we would see the triple option or a drop off in wins, and most important to the decision makers, I doubt we see anything to embarrass the school or church.
S
Schmoe
At this point, Ken N is the only coach I wouldn't be underwhelmed by. Really hope Holmoe and the crew put together an impressive pitch next week.
S
Stirfry
BroncoBot wrote:
After letting it simmer for a while, who do you BELIEVE will end up with coaching position at BYU? Note - This isn't who you WANT to be at BYU.



The poll :D is my list of most to least probable.



YOU CAN VOTE FOR 3!

So I read this as who will get a position but the discussion looks like who will get THE position as in HC.



Guy is hopefully still on the staff. I think the HC is basically down to Ken or Sitaki. I don't think lance is coming. Sitaki is growing on me for his local inroads in recruiting. Ken has zero local knowledge (assistants can make up for that) and I don't see him having a huge upside over bronco. He's the safe bet with a low floor.



It'd be fun to see a coach with a ton of fire like Sitaki.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
scott715
675082965085462528
B
BYULV
YNot wrote:
I'm on the KN bandwagon. He's a great fit for running BYU's program - which is much more than just X's and O's of football. He can be the mission president-esque CEO that can lead BYU's young men in battle - and maintain the 5 priorities. I think he will be a step up from Bronco in the sense that he will approach booster, alumni, and media relations in a more friendly and willing way - which will pay BIG dividends in the long run.



And, I truly think Holmoe will land Sitaki at DC and asst. HC - for less money than he's making at Oregon St. (but still $600K or so salary). Sitaki is a Blue Blood and will welcome the opportunity to come home to BYU.



And, I do think Detmer is a legitimate candidate at OC. Great fit for Taysom's last year and Mangum's career. Hopefully, we have some catching TE's on the 2016 roster!



Hold onto your seats - I think BYU is going to have an EXCEPTIONAL 2016 recruiting class!



Despite the tough schedule and new staff, 2016 should still be a good season - but I don't expect an undefeated season or anything, so I'm not buying tickets to the 2016 NY6 bowl just yet.


HC KN

OC Detmer

DC Sitake



I would be ecstatic with that coaching scenario and feel like it is an upgrade to what we currently gave. And yes, recruiting would take a definite bump up as well. If Holmoe can make this happen he becomes my all time favorite!
B
BroncoBot
I would be ecstatic with that coaching scenario and feel like it is an upgrade to what we currently gave.[/quote]





no way of knowing if the staff you propose would be any better or worse, especially with detmer...



remember Boscoe?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.