Archived Topic

I just threw up a little...

by Phatgreen · 12/11/2015

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Pretty funny read. BYU is not going back to the MWC.
M
mtnradio
it made me laugh!
B
BoiseBYU
Younger, and in my single days, I left the light on for Bo Derek. Light burned out.
K
KingCoug
Pffff. And then Hair woke up. :roll:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
You never say never, because I don't know that BYU will be able to survive the independence trail perpetually. If it comes to a "have to" situation, which I'm not saying it will, the only viable options may be the AAC or MWC or talk enough good teams into a new conference, which I don't believe is a probably these days).



I don't see this happening EVER as long as Hair Thompson continues as the commissioner of the MWC.



On a personal note, I don't know that I could swallow such a move as a fan, but once again I'll never say never.
S
SpiffCoug
Prediction: BYU would drop to FCS level before returning to the MWC.
F
frdbtr
I would pick the AAC before going back to the MWC.
A
ABYUFAN
At least he's being more reasonable about BYU (unlike a year or two ago when he was uncertain how they would classifyBYU)



The guy forgets to mention that for BYU to rejoin the MWC they would need to trade their MORE money and MORE tv exposure for the chance to have a little better access to a game at the end of the year, despite the fact that if BYU were the highest rated non G5 team their bowl destination would be talke about for days!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
Independence is awesome! It's better for BYU's real goals (exposure, more than money), than even what P5 members have, unless they're among the top 25 to 30 teams in perennial performance. Right now, BYU gets more exposure and brand recognition with the ESPN games, than P5's like Wazzou, Utah, Kansas State, Arkansas, Minnesota, Syracuse, North Carolina, Maryland, etc. Note that this list avoids the lowest bottom dwellers, for whom the national obscurity is even worse. Also note that the Utes have to make an undefeated run through the PAC, at least for part of the season, in order to get national attention, and they are not on National TV as much as BYU is.



I don't buy into the talk of how desperate BYU is to be included in a major conference. Sure, it would raise the ceiling some for an undefeated season. But in an average season of 6:6, even 9:3 record, I think that we would get less time on national TV (outside of BYU TV) than we get now. No matter how much Ute fans fantasize, BYU football is not going away, or becoming "irrelevant," just because of lack of conference. BYU can sustain independence financially. About the only thing that might be lost is an occasional coach that doesn't like the travel requirements. Remember that Bronco's wife did not like his travel schedule. About the only reason for me to look forward to P5 inclusion is to be able to watch the Ute trolls eat their hearts out over it. Their reason for being will have evaporated.



One thing for certain, is that there is no need or reason to go back to the MWC. :D 8)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
I read the article and now feel so dirty I need a shower.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
Keeping bridges around (and thus options to choose from) is always a good policy. The alternate simply leaves you with fewer possibilities to select from in deciding what will be best for you.
P
Phatgreen
BoiseBYU wrote:
Younger, and in my single days, I left the light on for Bo Derek. Light burned out.


I'm married with 3 kids and my light for Kate Beckinsale is still burning brightly!
S
Schmoe
Fido wrote:
Keeping bridges around (and thus options to choose from) is always a good policy. The alternate simply leaves you with fewer possibilities to select from in deciding what will be best for you.


I totally agree -- it's kinda silly how the MWC is trying to rebuild a bridge that they themselves burned.
B
byufan4ever
As an out of state fan I love being on ESPN every week. But I also love conference championships. Even though the goal is to win the national championship, that's not going to happen very often. So it's nice to be able to still win some sort of championship on a regular basis. But I do not want to go back to the MWC.
Advertisement
I
Isola
This year I really missed having a conference championship to compete for.



But I sure love the independent TV deal, the variety of schedule, and that the P5 conferences count BYU as a P5 game for scheduling purposes. I would hate to give that up.
G
Guest
Phatgreen wrote:
Younger, and in my single days, I left the light on for Bo Derek. Light burned out.


I'm married with 3 kids and my light for Kate Beckinsale is still burning brightly!


Scarlett Johansson for me.
A
ABYUFAN
What is funny is trying to watch a BYU away game in any sport. No way that BYU joins a confernce if they are going to be saddled with less TV time
S
scott715
And how am I going to see the BYU-Colorado Basketball game tomorrow? Dumb Pac-12.
I
IowaCougar
I can say this: If BYU ever negotiates to return to the MWC, they'd be sure to include an air-tight media contract that gives BYU total control over all broadcast rights. That's the only way I could live with it.



The current media arrangement with the WCC actually works really well for other sports. That kind of arrangement would have to be in place for all sports before returning would even be halfway acceptable.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.