Archived Topic

BYU vs Utah St.

by byufan4ever · 12/10/2015

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
I thought this was a really good win. Utah St. had only lost to Duke. We started out sluggish on defense again, but this time we turned it around BEFORE halftime. Maybe it was about the time that Emery entered the game? While he didn't get credited with any steals, we are a better defensive team when he's on the floor. And he had one of the sweetest moves ever on a drive to the hoop but unfortunately the ball barely didn't go in. I love seeing him take it to the hoop. He has a great combination of speed, driving ability, and oh he can shoot too. And play defense. Just limit those turnovers and punches.



Kaufusi had limited minutes due to foul trouble, but he played much better. He had the second best PER/Min.



I thought it was said during the game that BYU is THE worst FT shooting team in the nation. Well, we shot 80% tonight!


Utah St..PNG

Kyle Davis now has been Player of the Game three straight times. Nice to see him get it against his former team! I really like how he's improved his TOs: 6, 4, 1, 2, 1, 0, 0.
S
scott715
Too bad for these kids, a good win and everyone one is talking about the new football coach search.
N
nuk13
scott715 wrote:
Too bad for these kids, a good win and everyone one is talking about the new football coach search.


I like basketball at least as much as football. I did not say I didn't like football it just seems like we are in an endless loop of who the new coach is going to be, which coaches are leaving and how will we play when those coaches are leaving. When I got on this morning there wasn't a thing about the USU game. I had to check the side news to get any information. Thank you Byufan for posting the per chart. I always study it.

Kyle Davis is proving to be one of the 2 or three best players on the team. How many double doubles does he have now. He may catch Bolomy (sp) the Weber State kid. He even got the second most assists.



Emery does make a difference. I hope his anger management classes are going well.



KC needs to spend an extra half hour practicing his shooting.
B
BlueK
nuk13 wrote:
Too bad for these kids, a good win and everyone one is talking about the new football coach search.


I like basketball at least as much as football. I did not say I didn't like football it just seems like we are in an endless loop of who the new coach is going to be, which coaches are leaving and how will we play when those coaches are leaving. When I got on this morning there wasn't a thing about the USU game. I had to check the side news to get any information. Thank you Byufan for posting the per chart. I always study it.

Kyle Davis is proving to be one of the 2 or three best players on the team. How many double doubles does he have now. He may catch Bolomy (sp) the Weber State kid. He even got the second most assists.



Emery does make a difference. I hope his anger management classes are going well.



KC needs to spend an extra half hour practicing his shooting.


KC took too many shots towards the end when the game was in hand because he was nearing a triple double and needed two more points. At least the game was out of reach for USU at that point. Until then Kyle had a very good game with distributing the ball.
S
SpoCoug
BlueK wrote:
scott715 wrote:
Too bad for these kids, a good win and everyone one is talking about the new football coach search.


I like basketball at least as much as football. I did not say I didn't like football it just seems like we are in an endless loop of who the new coach is going to be, which coaches are leaving and how will we play when those coaches are leaving. When I got on this morning there wasn't a thing about the USU game. I had to check the side news to get any information. Thank you Byufan for posting the per chart. I always study it.

Kyle Davis is proving to be one of the 2 or three best players on the team. How many double doubles does he have now. He may catch Bolomy (sp) the Weber State kid. He even got the second most assists.



Emery does make a difference. I hope his anger management classes are going well.



KC needs to spend an extra half hour practicing his shooting.


KC took too many shots towards the end when the game was in hand because he was nearing a triple double and needed two more points. At least the game was out of reach for USU at that point. Until then Kyle had a very good game with distributing the ball.


Actually KC was only nearing a double-double. It did seem like he really wanted it, though.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
I just watched the game on byutv. If Davis had have stayed at Utah State they might have won the game. The team played well together and was balanced on offense as well as defense.



They mentioned Mika who'll return from his mission next year. The front court will be loaded.
B
BlueK
SpoCoug wrote:
nuk13 wrote:
Too bad for these kids, a good win and everyone one is talking about the new football coach search.


I like basketball at least as much as football. I did not say I didn't like football it just seems like we are in an endless loop of who the new coach is going to be, which coaches are leaving and how will we play when those coaches are leaving. When I got on this morning there wasn't a thing about the USU game. I had to check the side news to get any information. Thank you Byufan for posting the per chart. I always study it.

Kyle Davis is proving to be one of the 2 or three best players on the team. How many double doubles does he have now. He may catch Bolomy (sp) the Weber State kid. He even got the second most assists.



Emery does make a difference. I hope his anger management classes are going well.



KC needs to spend an extra half hour practicing his shooting.


KC took too many shots towards the end when the game was in hand because he was nearing a triple double and needed two more points. At least the game was out of reach for USU at that point. Until then Kyle had a very good game with distributing the ball.


Actually KC was only nearing a double-double. It did seem like he really wanted it, though.



He needed 2 more points and 3 more rebounds. The thing is, the rebounds can come in a hurry.
Q
Qman
A few late notes:



It felt like as the game went on that we outclassed Utah St with our overall talent.



We started by dominating in the paint with KC/Davis/Kaufusi. Their D adjusted to pack the paint and Emery/Fischer made enough plays for a comfortable win. Everyone in our starting 5 is a serious offensive threat and it makes us very hard to guard. Our D held them to 36% from the field. If we play like this at Colorado we will have a chance to win.



Fischer has been trending up on his overall decision making. This is a key change for us. He also made some important defensive plays.



Davis is still feeling his way into a role on this team but he looks better and better.



Our rotation has tightened. Toolson (even though he started in the 1st half) and Austin were the main subs. Seljaas got some minutes as the backup 4 maybe all of Aytes minutes.



Note Toolson drives me nuts- he is a natural scorer. He need to be aggressive when he gets an advantage.
N
nuk13
Fischer has been trending up on his overall decision making. This is a key change for us. He also made some important defensive plays.



Davis is still feeling his way into a role on this team but he looks better and better.



Our rotation has tightened. Toolson (even though he started in the 1st half) and Austin were the main subs. Seljaas got some minutes as the backup 4 maybe all of Aytes minutes.



Note Toolson drives me nuts- he is a natural scorer. He need to be aggressive when he gets an advantage.[/quote]



I also feel Fisher has improved. He is playing more of a complete game rather than just crossing the mid line and clanking 3s.



I hope Shaw and Hartsock keep getting minutes as we don't know when they'll be needed. Injuries (Aytes again) and fouls happen.



Qman this is supposed to be a quote. What happened to the yellow?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.