Archived Topic

Just a Thought about Whittingham

by Cougarfan87 · 12/10/2015

Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
If ever he wanted to stick it to Hill, coming back to BYU and dominating Utah for the next 10 years until retirement would be the way to do it. :D



I would be excited for Kyle to be HC, Detmer to be OC, and Sitake to be DC.



That being said, I think the chances are low, indeed, of something like that happening.



"Come on dear friends, the war has past. For friends at first are friends again at last."



As a second thought, Ken Niumatalolo as HC, Detmer as OC, and Sitake as DC (Sitake did express some interest as DC even...I think he sees the writing on the wall at OSU).



Common to both scenarious is Detmer as OC (and not running the triple option, mind you). I cannot be convinced that the dude that dissected College and Pro defenses and has been calling the plays in Texas high school football could not be a great OC. He can. I hope someone reaches out to him.
C
Cougs_Rule
Coach Weeping, Wailing and Gnashing of teeth is NOT COMIG BACK TO THE LIGHT! I keep telling you people. :-)
A
ABYUFAN
I have a BYU football helmet prominently displayed in my office. If Whittingham comes back I will literally give it to the DI. Never again will I be a Cougar Club member, and I will send all of my donations to BYU Idaho instead of splitting them evenly between the two.



My measly amount of money won't matter a hill of beans to BYU, but I would feel better.
C
Cougarfan87
ABYUFAN wrote:
I have a BYU football helmet prominently displayed in my office. If Whittingham comes back I will literally give it to the DI. Never again will I be a Cougar Club member, and I will send all of my donations to BYU Idaho instead of splitting them evenly between the two.



My measly amount of money won't matter a hill of beans to BYU, but I would feel better.


Don't send it to DI. Send it to me. It can go next to the BYU helmet in my office with all the signatures on it.
M
mtnradio
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I have a BYU football helmet prominently displayed in my office. If Whittingham comes back I will literally give it to the DI. Never again will I be a Cougar Club member, and I will send all of my donations to BYU Idaho instead of splitting them evenly between the two.



My measly amount of money won't matter a hill of beans to BYU, but I would feel better.


Don't send it to DI. Send it to me. It can go next to the BYU helmet in my office with all the signatures on it.


Now you are just getting greedy! Let's spread the wealth around a little and send it to someone who doesn't have a BYU helmet ... like me! ;)



Common to both scenarious is Detmer as OC (and not running the triple option, mind you). I cannot be convinced that the dude that dissected College and Pro defenses and has been calling the plays in Texas high school football could not be a great OC. He can. I hope someone reaches out to him.


I couldn't agree more. Ty may not be ready to be a major college HC (I really don't know), but I am resolute and confident in my belief he'd be a great OC.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I have a BYU football helmet prominently displayed in my office. If Whittingham comes back I will literally give it to the DI. Never again will I be a Cougar Club member, and I will send all of my donations to BYU Idaho instead of splitting them evenly between the two.



My measly amount of money won't matter a hill of beans to BYU, but I would feel better.


Don't send it to DI. Send it to me. It can go next to the BYU helmet in my office with all the signatures on it.

Fine. If Whittingham comes back - it's yours! I'll replace it with a BYU basketball.
U
Ungoy
I really don't think Whittingham comes back. I think he uses these coaching vacancies and interest in him to his advantage to get Hill to give him a raise...
S
Stirfry
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
I have a BYU football helmet prominently displayed in my office. If Whittingham comes back I will literally give it to the DI. Never again will I be a Cougar Club member, and I will send all of my donations to BYU Idaho instead of splitting them evenly between the two.



My measly amount of money won't matter a hill of beans to BYU, but I would feel better.


Don't send it to DI. Send it to me. It can go next to the BYU helmet in my office with all the signatures on it.

Fine. If Whittingham comes back - it's yours! I'll replace it with a BYU basketball.


Wait! I'll mail you a prepaid box with a tape roll so you just have to drop it in and let the nail nan take it with him!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
Stirfry wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I have a BYU football helmet prominently displayed in my office. If Whittingham comes back I will literally give it to the DI. Never again will I be a Cougar Club member, and I will send all of my donations to BYU Idaho instead of splitting them evenly between the two.



My measly amount of money won't matter a hill of beans to BYU, but I would feel better.


Don't send it to DI. Send it to me. It can go next to the BYU helmet in my office with all the signatures on it.

Fine. If Whittingham comes back - it's yours! I'll replace it with a BYU basketball.


Wait! I'll mail you a prepaid box with a tape roll so you just have to drop it in and let the nail nan take it with him!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

He asked first ... But if Kyle comes back I'll figure out a way to equitably determine who gets the helmet. Maybe whoever upvotes my posts more gets it or something like that)
S
Stirfry
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
I have a BYU football helmet prominently displayed in my office. If Whittingham comes back I will literally give it to the DI. Never again will I be a Cougar Club member, and I will send all of my donations to BYU Idaho instead of splitting them evenly between the two.



My measly amount of money won't matter a hill of beans to BYU, but I would feel better.


Don't send it to DI. Send it to me. It can go next to the BYU helmet in my office with all the signatures on it.

Fine. If Whittingham comes back - it's yours! I'll replace it with a BYU basketball.


Wait! I'll mail you a prepaid box with a tape roll so you just have to drop it in and let the nail nan take it with him!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

He asked first ... But if Kyle comes back I'll figure out a way to equitably determine who gets the helmet. Maybe whoever upvotes my posts more gets it or something like that)

Did it !



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Stirfry wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I have a BYU football helmet prominently displayed in my office. If Whittingham comes back I will literally give it to the DI. Never again will I be a Cougar Club member, and I will send all of my donations to BYU Idaho instead of splitting them evenly between the two.



My measly amount of money won't matter a hill of beans to BYU, but I would feel better.


Don't send it to DI. Send it to me. It can go next to the BYU helmet in my office with all the signatures on it.

Fine. If Whittingham comes back - it's yours! I'll replace it with a BYU basketball.


Wait! I'll mail you a prepaid box with a tape roll so you just have to drop it in and let the nail nan take it with him!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Kind of a bizarre shipping method....



https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nan-Nail/251274091554165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
R
redneckjedi
In the event that Whitt does come to BYU, I propose we cut the helmet in half, and give half to each. ;)
H
hypercoug
Anyone who thinks Whittingham would take the BYU job is crazy. He has a way better job right now, with way better future prospects. He was a decent quarterback and a RB injury away from competing for the national title this year. BYU has nothing to offer him. Nothing.
A
ABYUFAN
hypercoug wrote:
Anyone who thinks Whittingham would take the BYU job is crazy. He has a way better job right now, with way better future prospects. He was a decent quarterback and a RB injury away from competing for the national title this year. BYU has nothing to offer him. Nothing.

So you're saying that both parties have equal value to the other. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
hypercoug
No, I am saying that Whittingham is running a very successful power 5 program, has 2 BCS wins in his tenure, and a bright future ahead of him. He could stay at utah for a while or will have chance to move "up" in the CFB world at some point. There is no doubt other programs are eyeing him.



He has zero, I repeat zero, reasons to even consider the BYU job. That's just the reality.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
I posted this before and I think it bears considering. This was Kwitt's year to strike it big. He had a Heisman RB and a four year QB and a good D. He always has a good D, but the RB and QB were unique. And look what it got him....I do not think UT can year in and year out compete with the SC's, UCLA's, Stanford's and Oregon's etc.--it didn't this year with his best shot. What does this mean? If he stays at UT, one day he gets fired. Ute fan base will demand it. So he can leave on his terms or wait for the ax to drop. He's friendly with Holmoe; he and Hill, not so much. If FB quality counts for anything, I think most would acknowledge he's a good coach. He meets the very unique qualifications required to be the head FB coach at BYU. He played there; he understands its place. I'm sure moving would involve a pay cut, but if you can't make it on $2 million, what makes you think you can on $3 million plus? I'm not saying he comes, but I can't just out of hand discount it either....
A
a1247
BoiseBYU wrote:
I posted this before and I think it bears considering. This was Kwitt's year to strike it big. He had a Heisman RB and a four year QB and a good D. He always has a good D, but the RB and QB were unique. And look what it got him....I do not think UT can year in and year out compete with the SC's, UCLA's, Stanford's and Oregon's etc.--it didn't this year with his best shot. What does this mean? If he stays at UT, one day he gets fired. Ute fan base will demand it. So he can leave on his terms or wait for the ax to drop. He's friendly with Holmoe; he and Hill, not so much. If FB quality counts for anything, I think most would acknowledge he's a good coach. He meets the very unique qualifications required to be the head FB coach at BYU. He played there; he understands its place. I'm sure moving would involve a pay cut, but if you can't make it on $2 million, what makes you think you can on $3 million plus? I'm not saying he comes, but I can't just out of hand discount it either....


So if he stays at utah and gets another 5 years there and he makes 3.2 million compared to say 2 million at BYU that's an additional 6 million dollars. There's a lot someone can do with an additional 6 million dollars.



I hear what your saying my only thoughts are why would he consider it when he was offered the job before and declined it and Utah had less to offer 11 years ago. Money wise it was about the same as what BYU was offering, and Utah was still in the MWC just like BYU. Now Utah has so much more to offer him. Why would he ever consider it unless he is completely misserable under Dr. Hill. And if he was then why wouldn't he try and get another job in a P5 school. I know there is programs out there that would take him. Hell Tennessee offered him 5 million a year 2 years ago.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
a1247 wrote:
I posted this before and I think it bears considering. This was Kwitt's year to strike it big. He had a Heisman RB and a four year QB and a good D. He always has a good D, but the RB and QB were unique. And look what it got him....I do not think UT can year in and year out compete with the SC's, UCLA's, Stanford's and Oregon's etc.--it didn't this year with his best shot. What does this mean? If he stays at UT, one day he gets fired. Ute fan base will demand it. So he can leave on his terms or wait for the ax to drop. He's friendly with Holmoe; he and Hill, not so much. If FB quality counts for anything, I think most would acknowledge he's a good coach. He meets the very unique qualifications required to be the head FB coach at BYU. He played there; he understands its place. I'm sure moving would involve a pay cut, but if you can't make it on $2 million, what makes you think you can on $3 million plus? I'm not saying he comes, but I can't just out of hand discount it either....


So if he stays at utah and gets another 5 years there and he makes 3.2 million compared to say 2 million at BYU that's an additional 6 million dollars. There's a lot someone can do with an additional 6 million dollars.



I hear what your saying my only thoughts are why would he consider it when he was offered the job before and declined it and Utah had less to offer 11 years ago. Money wise it was about the same as what BYU was offering, and Utah was still in the MWC just like BYU. Now Utah has so much more to offer him. Why would he ever consider it unless he is completely misserable under Dr. Hill. And if he was then why wouldn't he try and get another job in a P5 school. I know there is programs out there that would take him. Hell Tennessee offered him 5 million a year 2 years ago.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Good points all. I'm just saying money is not everything and if you are miserable where you are or you want to leave on your own terms, then his coming is not totally fantasy-based....
G
Guest
a1247 wrote:
I posted this before and I think it bears considering. This was Kwitt's year to strike it big. He had a Heisman RB and a four year QB and a good D. He always has a good D, but the RB and QB were unique. And look what it got him....I do not think UT can year in and year out compete with the SC's, UCLA's, Stanford's and Oregon's etc.--it didn't this year with his best shot. What does this mean? If he stays at UT, one day he gets fired. Ute fan base will demand it. So he can leave on his terms or wait for the ax to drop. He's friendly with Holmoe; he and Hill, not so much. If FB quality counts for anything, I think most would acknowledge he's a good coach. He meets the very unique qualifications required to be the head FB coach at BYU. He played there; he understands its place. I'm sure moving would involve a pay cut, but if you can't make it on $2 million, what makes you think you can on $3 million plus? I'm not saying he comes, but I can't just out of hand discount it either....


So if he stays at utah and gets another 5 years there and he makes 3.2 million compared to say 2 million at BYU that's an additional 6 million dollars. There's a lot someone can do with an additional 6 million dollars.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I guarantee he wont last another 5 years. Fans up north are already grumbling about him over staying his welcome and he has no prospects for QB next year, no good receivers in the pipeline, nothing much to get excited about at running back, no offensive identity at all.
A
a1247
hawkwing wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
I posted this before and I think it bears considering. This was Kwitt's year to strike it big. He had a Heisman RB and a four year QB and a good D. He always has a good D, but the RB and QB were unique. And look what it got him....I do not think UT can year in and year out compete with the SC's, UCLA's, Stanford's and Oregon's etc.--it didn't this year with his best shot. What does this mean? If he stays at UT, one day he gets fired. Ute fan base will demand it. So he can leave on his terms or wait for the ax to drop. He's friendly with Holmoe; he and Hill, not so much. If FB quality counts for anything, I think most would acknowledge he's a good coach. He meets the very unique qualifications required to be the head FB coach at BYU. He played there; he understands its place. I'm sure moving would involve a pay cut, but if you can't make it on $2 million, what makes you think you can on $3 million plus? I'm not saying he comes, but I can't just out of hand discount it either....


So if he stays at utah and gets another 5 years there and he makes 3.2 million compared to say 2 million at BYU that's an additional 6 million dollars. There's a lot someone can do with an additional 6 million dollars.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I guarantee he wont last another 5 years. Fans up north are already grumbling about him over staying his welcome and he has no prospects for QB next year, no good receivers in the pipeline, nothing much to get excited about at running back, no offensive identity at all.


I do believe they have a pretty good junior college QB coming in for next year. And there's Chase Hanson. Not sure he's going to play QB or safety next year.



KWhitt does have an offensive identity, it's don't screw things up for my defense! He has imo ruined more qb's with head games than any linebacker out there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.