Archived Topic

Bronco's UVA Contract

by scott715 · 12/10/2015

Advertisement
S
scott715
http://chat.virginia.sportswar.com/message_board/football/2015/December/9/7126813.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Some of this is probably already common knowledge:



Buyout from BYU of $1.19M



Salary starts at $3.25M and rises each year to $3.85M in year 5



One interesting incentive: $20k bonus for each game sell out (was this a policy under previous head coaches? If so, I had never heard of it)



His buyout at UVA is $3M



We structured his $1.19M buyout at BYU as if it was a loan. Kind of unique, from what I understand. We pay 20% of $1.19M each year for the next 5 years. If he leaves before the 5 years are up, he pays the remainder. So if he were hypothetically to take another offer after year 3, he would be responsible for paying ~$500K of the original BYU buyout. And then the $3M buyout, as well.



Not very familiar with college coaching gigs and the paperwork behind them, but I thought the buyout stuff was pretty interesting. UVA, by all accounts, seems to have done a phenomenal job in not only acquiring him, but also giving him incentives to stay and implement his system (and it sounds like that will be a massive overhaul.)
B
byufan4ever
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/university-virginia/article_a9176c43-ca7b-5bda-86fe-7ab5930558c4.html



Here are some more details:



How much is a national championship worth? The contract agreed to last week by the University of Virginia and new Cavaliers football coach Bronco Mendenhall answers that question: $1 million. A million-dollar bonus for a national title is one of the highlights of Mendenhall’s five-year deal, a copy of which was obtained Thursday by the Times-Dispatch. Other noteworthy details:



•Mendenhall’s annual compensation will begin at $3.25 million in 2016 and increase by $150,000 each year thereafter. Total compensation will be at least $17.75 million.

•Virginia’s nine full-time assistant coaches will be paid from a $3 million salary pool that will increase each year by 5 percent.

•Should Mendenhall choose to depart within the first three years of the contract, a $3 million buyout will be necessary. The buyout decreases by $600,000 in each of the contract’s final two years.

•U.Va. will pay up to $1,850,000 to Mendenhall in the form of a non-interest loan to complete the buyout of his existing contract with Brigham Young University.

•Other bonus incentives: $500,000 for a College Football Playoff appearance; $150,000 for a top-five finish in the Associated Press poll; $100,000 for an ACC championship; $75,000 for a non-College Football Playoff bowl appearance; $20,000 for every home sellout.

•Virginia will reimburse a common carrier for Mendenhall’s cross-country move from Provo, Utah, to Charlottesville. U.Va. also will provide its new coach with a one-time signing bonus of $25,000 to defray “other transition expenses.”

•Mendenhall is eligible for the use of two courtesy vehicles and a complementary country club membership.


So how many years did Bronco have left on his BYU contract? Does the full price get bought out or at a discount? Does this tell us exactly how much he was making per year at BYU?
B
BYULV
I'm now in he camp that I'm ticked at bronco. Not for leaving, but for leaving when he did. THere is no reason he couldn't have made all of this take place after the bowl game. Every other bowl team around the country is still focused on the season and putting us on hold because they are focusing on football. UVA could have waited without affecting their team negatively. If BYU loses the bowl game, BYU should not pay Bronco or those assistants leaving with him, maybe even as much as 50% of this years salary. Those guys were under contract to coach this team to be the best they can be with specificity stated goals to win their bowl game and end the season ranked. Unless they are going all out in bowl prep and keeping this team focused, a loss is on them and a direct result of their actions. I'm sure BYU has no legal standing to withhold pay, especially since they gave permission to talk to Bronco, but it sure seems to me like they didn't live up to their end of their employment contract.
S
Schmoe
Bronco/UVA announcing when they did allowed us to look for a coach and get first pick before the bigger coaching carousel even started.
F
Fido
So how many years did Bronco have left on his BYU contract? Does the full price get bought out or at a discount? Does this tell us exactly how much he was making per year at BYU?

He was under contract through 2016--so 1 more year.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
BYULV wrote:
I'm now in he camp that I'm ticked at bronco. Not for leaving, but for leaving when he did. THere is no reason he couldn't have made all of this take place after the bowl game. Every other bowl team around the country is still focused on the season and putting us on hold because they are focusing on football. UVA could have waited without affecting their team negatively. If BYU loses the bowl game, BYU should not pay Bronco or those assistants leaving with him, maybe even as much as 50% of this years salary. Those guys were under contract to coach this team to be the best they can be with specificity stated goals to win their bowl game and end the season ranked. Unless they are going all out in bowl prep and keeping this team focused, a loss is on them and a direct result of their actions. I'm sure BYU has no legal standing to withhold pay, especially since they gave permission to talk to Bronco, but it sure seems to me like they didn't live up to their end of their employment contract.


I'll save my rage for if we lose the bowl game.



If we win, it's all good and I wish Bronco the best.



If we lose, his sorry butt won't be able to leave the western US fast enough. I will have lost a lot of respect, not only for the departing coaching staff, but also for the players.



We're 3-6 vs Utah under Bronco, including losing the last 4 straight.



It's Bronco's final game and a chance to go out with his 100th win against our rival. In the Vegas Bowl. Where it will be mostly BYU fans.



Utah is really beat up from their PAC-12 schedule and won't have Booker. Others, like Covey, may play but they won't be 100%.



Bottom line, it's set up about as well as we could expect. If Bronco, Anae, the other coaches, and the players can't find the focus, motivation, and heart to go out and beat the stinkin' Utes, I'll have little more than disgust for the whole lot of them and any last doubts about Bronco's departure will be gone, as far as I'm concerned.




[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
KingCoug wrote:
I'll save my rage for if we lose the bowl game.



If we win, it's all good and I wish Bronco the best.



If we lose, his sorry butt won't be able to leave the western US fast enough. I will have lost a lot of respect, not only for the departing coaching staff, but also for the players.



We're 3-6 vs Utah under Bronco, including losing the last 4 straight.



It's Bronco's final game and a chance to go out with his 100th win against our rival. In the Vegas Bowl. Where it will be mostly BYU fans.



Utah is really beat up from their PAC-12 schedule and won't have Booker. Others, like Covey, may play but they won't be 100%.



Bottom line, it's set up about as well as we could expect. If Bronco, Anae, the other coaches, and the players can't find the focus, motivation, and heart to go out and beat the stinkin' Utes, I'll have little more than disgust for the whole lot of them and any last doubts about Bronco's departure will be gone, as far as I'm concerned.




[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I don't know if I'm quite as enraged as King, but I kind of agree with his sentiment.



If Bronco and Anae beat Utah, I'll wish them good luck at Virginia and remember their time in Provo with mostly positive feelings. They gave me one my best in-person moments with Beck-to-Harline.



But if they lose, then there won't be much fondness for his tenure. They'll be remembered as decent coaches that couldn't beat our rival; that were owned mentally by our rival. I won't miss them nearly as much as I would otherwise.



Bronco and his assistants and their legacy have a lot riding on next Saturday's game.
B
BYULV
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'll save my rage for if we lose the bowl game.



If we win, it's all good and I wish Bronco the best.



If we lose, his sorry butt won't be able to leave the western US fast enough. I will have lost a lot of respect, not only for the departing coaching staff, but also for the players.



We're 3-6 vs Utah under Bronco, including losing the last 4 straight.



It's Bronco's final game and a chance to go out with his 100th win against our rival. In the Vegas Bowl. Where it will be mostly BYU fans.



Utah is really beat up from their PAC-12 schedule and won't have Booker. Others, like Covey, may play but they won't be 100%.



Bottom line, it's set up about as well as we could expect. If Bronco, Anae, the other coaches, and the players can't find the focus, motivation, and heart to go out and beat the stinkin' Utes, I'll have little more than disgust for the whole lot of them and any last doubts about Bronco's departure will be gone, as far as I'm concerned.




[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I don't know if I'm quite as enraged as King, but I kind of agree with his sentiment.



If Bronco and Anae beat Utah, I'll wish them good luck at Virginia and remember their time in Provo with mostly positive feelings. They gave me one my best in-person moments with Beck-to-Harline.



But if they lose, then there won't be much fondness for his tenure. They'll be remembered as decent coaches that couldn't beat our rival; that were owned mentally by our rival. I won't miss them nearly as much as I would otherwise.



Bronco and his assistants and their legacy have a lot riding on next Saturday's game.

My sentiments exactly
B
BroncoBot
BYULV wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
I'll save my rage for if we lose the bowl game.



If we win, it's all good and I wish Bronco the best.



If we lose, his sorry butt won't be able to leave the western US fast enough. I will have lost a lot of respect, not only for the departing coaching staff, but also for the players.



We're 3-6 vs Utah under Bronco, including losing the last 4 straight.



It's Bronco's final game and a chance to go out with his 100th win against our rival. In the Vegas Bowl. Where it will be mostly BYU fans.



Utah is really beat up from their PAC-12 schedule and won't have Booker. Others, like Covey, may play but they won't be 100%.



Bottom line, it's set up about as well as we could expect. If Bronco, Anae, the other coaches, and the players can't find the focus, motivation, and heart to go out and beat the stinkin' Utes, I'll have little more than disgust for the whole lot of them and any last doubts about Bronco's departure will be gone, as far as I'm concerned.




[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I don't know if I'm quite as enraged as King, but I kind of agree with his sentiment.



If Bronco and Anae beat Utah, I'll wish them good luck at Virginia and remember their time in Provo with mostly positive feelings. They gave me one my best in-person moments with Beck-to-Harline.



But if they lose, then there won't be much fondness for his tenure. They'll be remembered as decent coaches that couldn't beat our rival; that were owned mentally by our rival. I won't miss them nearly as much as I would otherwise.



Bronco and his assistants and their legacy have a lot riding on next Saturday's game.

My sentiments exactly

Seems kind of fickle to me, but to each their own.



Why don't you guys just flip a coin and decide if you approve/disapprove of the last 11 years....? You guys don't think that the same distraction would have been going on if UVA, Bronco and the coaches leaving with him just shut up and didn't say anything? Come on, let's get real, the only difference is that Bronco had the integrity to just get it out in the open instead of trying to keep it covered up for 2+ weeks. It was happening and could have been far more distracting for the entire team to find out 2-3 days before the bowl from the media instead of Bronco. The way Bronco and UVA decided to proceed just deflated any chance of a MAJOR distraction.



Here's my take, Bronco came and did everything BYU asked of him. He certainly had his ups and downs but I'll always be grateful for the job he did here (win or lose to utah next week).



I am nervous that we will have another hire like Crowton, I all too well remember the crowton years and missed the one very good year he had as I was on taking a 2 year leave from studies in Ukraine. Hoping the next coach can fill the shoes left by Coach Mendenhall.



THANKS COACH! It was a wild ride that I enjoyed immensely.
S
Schmoe
Win or lose, I'm gonna miss Bronco and Co. immensely. One of five winning coaches ever at BYU (second-best winning percentage), never a losing season, 11 straight bowls, one of two coaches to have multiple ranked seasons (3-times in the top-15 in 11 years, basically a third of the time), players love him, ran a clean program, essentially is only overshadowed by Lavell as far as BYU football goes. We may end up ruing the day he leaves and cursing UVA for years to come.
Advertisement
G
Guest
BYULV wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
I'll save my rage for if we lose the bowl game.



If we win, it's all good and I wish Bronco the best.



If we lose, his sorry butt won't be able to leave the western US fast enough. I will have lost a lot of respect, not only for the departing coaching staff, but also for the players.



We're 3-6 vs Utah under Bronco, including losing the last 4 straight.



It's Bronco's final game and a chance to go out with his 100th win against our rival. In the Vegas Bowl. Where it will be mostly BYU fans.



Utah is really beat up from their PAC-12 schedule and won't have Booker. Others, like Covey, may play but they won't be 100%.



Bottom line, it's set up about as well as we could expect. If Bronco, Anae, the other coaches, and the players can't find the focus, motivation, and heart to go out and beat the stinkin' Utes, I'll have little more than disgust for the whole lot of them and any last doubts about Bronco's departure will be gone, as far as I'm concerned.




[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I don't know if I'm quite as enraged as King, but I kind of agree with his sentiment.



If Bronco and Anae beat Utah, I'll wish them good luck at Virginia and remember their time in Provo with mostly positive feelings. They gave me one my best in-person moments with Beck-to-Harline.



But if they lose, then there won't be much fondness for his tenure. They'll be remembered as decent coaches that couldn't beat our rival; that were owned mentally by our rival. I won't miss them nearly as much as I would otherwise.



Bronco and his assistants and their legacy have a lot riding on next Saturday's game.

My sentiments exactly

I 100% disagree.



I'll always honor and respect Bronco Mendenhall as the man who saved the BYU football program. I think he's done great things at BYU and built the program from shambles up to a nationally respected state. I sure wish he would have gotten BYU to a big bowl game, or the playoffs, or even done better against the Utes, but it didn't happen. That doesn't diminish his other accomplishments in my eyes.
F
frdbtr
hawkwing wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'll save my rage for if we lose the bowl game.



If we win, it's all good and I wish Bronco the best.



If we lose, his sorry butt won't be able to leave the western US fast enough. I will have lost a lot of respect, not only for the departing coaching staff, but also for the players.



We're 3-6 vs Utah under Bronco, including losing the last 4 straight.



It's Bronco's final game and a chance to go out with his 100th win against our rival. In the Vegas Bowl. Where it will be mostly BYU fans.



Utah is really beat up from their PAC-12 schedule and won't have Booker. Others, like Covey, may play but they won't be 100%.



Bottom line, it's set up about as well as we could expect. If Bronco, Anae, the other coaches, and the players can't find the focus, motivation, and heart to go out and beat the stinkin' Utes, I'll have little more than disgust for the whole lot of them and any last doubts about Bronco's departure will be gone, as far as I'm concerned.




[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I don't know if I'm quite as enraged as King, but I kind of agree with his sentiment.



If Bronco and Anae beat Utah, I'll wish them good luck at Virginia and remember their time in Provo with mostly positive feelings. They gave me one my best in-person moments with Beck-to-Harline.



But if they lose, then there won't be much fondness for his tenure. They'll be remembered as decent coaches that couldn't beat our rival; that were owned mentally by our rival. I won't miss them nearly as much as I would otherwise.



Bronco and his assistants and their legacy have a lot riding on next Saturday's game.

My sentiments exactly

I 100% disagree.



I'll always honor and respect Bronco Mendenhall as the man who saved the BYU football program. I think he's done great things at BYU and built the program from shambles up to a nationally respected state. I sure wish he would have gotten BYU to a big bowl game, or the playoffs, or even done better against the Utes, but it didn't happen. That doesn't diminish his other accomplishments in my eyes.


I agree with this. BYU was really close to closing down all sports programs after the scandals in 04, closer than any of us will ever know. Bronco took over a situation that was not desirable. He was instructed to win with recruits that would never do what happened in 04 again. He had major recruiting restrictions put upon him that the BOT was just starting to relax a bit. I hope BYU finds someone that can do as good of a job as Bronco but I don't know if they will be able to. My guess is the BOT is going to put the new coach under new restrictions for recruiting that the new guy will have to overcome with coaching. Like I said in my "we are about to see what kind of a coach we just lost" thread, BYU will be lucky to get a coach as good as Mendenhall and I don't see any of the candidates on the list being a step up. If we are lucky, we get someone who can replicate what he has done, but frankly, it will be more than likely that we get someone who loses many more games than we are used to seeing.
C
Cougs_Rule
Frdbtr, since you seem to know more than "any of us know" why don't you share your sources or facts about--

All sports being shut down; and

New recruiting restrictions.

I don't mind posters opinions about some things. But these claims are just preposterous.
B
BYULV
hawkwing wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'll save my rage for if we lose the bowl game.



If we win, it's all good and I wish Bronco the best.



If we lose, his sorry butt won't be able to leave the western US fast enough. I will have lost a lot of respect, not only for the departing coaching staff, but also for the players.



We're 3-6 vs Utah under Bronco, including losing the last 4 straight.



It's Bronco's final game and a chance to go out with his 100th win against our rival. In the Vegas Bowl. Where it will be mostly BYU fans.



Utah is really beat up from their PAC-12 schedule and won't have Booker. Others, like Covey, may play but they won't be 100%.



Bottom line, it's set up about as well as we could expect. If Bronco, Anae, the other coaches, and the players can't find the focus, motivation, and heart to go out and beat the stinkin' Utes, I'll have little more than disgust for the whole lot of them and any last doubts about Bronco's departure will be gone, as far as I'm concerned.




[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I don't know if I'm quite as enraged as King, but I kind of agree with his sentiment.



If Bronco and Anae beat Utah, I'll wish them good luck at Virginia and remember their time in Provo with mostly positive feelings. They gave me one my best in-person moments with Beck-to-Harline.



But if they lose, then there won't be much fondness for his tenure. They'll be remembered as decent coaches that couldn't beat our rival; that were owned mentally by our rival. I won't miss them nearly as much as I would otherwise.



Bronco and his assistants and their legacy have a lot riding on next Saturday's game.

My sentiments exactly

I 100% disagree.



I'll always honor and respect Bronco Mendenhall as the man who saved the BYU football program. I think he's done great things at BYU and built the program from shambles up to a nationally respected state. I sure wish he would have gotten BYU to a big bowl game, or the playoffs, or even done better against the Utes, but it didn't happen. That doesn't diminish his other accomplishments in my eyes.


I agree he has done a ton for our program, but when you leave a job unfinished it becomes a lasting part of your legacy. That's all forgotten if they win the bowl game, but front and center in his legacy if they lose. I'm hoping he does what ever it takes to pull off a win and leave no doubt where he should be in BYU football lore.
C
Cougs_Rule
Exactly. Fine, he couldn't pass on the money. And he probably doesn't even desire legacy status bc early on in his tenure, he said he wouldn't be here as long as LaVel. He already had an exit strategy. So was he even really "all in"? I suppose. But he certainly has put himself,as has the context, in a position where fans will either further this so called "legacy" label (fans will be fans and they need their heroes)--not LaVel status, not name the field after him; but,he could end on a real high note by delivering a winning game plan; or he could end on a sour note with a loss, or worse, an embarrassing, behind the woodshed loss, that could turn some or a lot of fans against him. Good theater for sure! And not everything is in his control, but of the Utes are "stirred up unto anger against" the Cougars and they squash this team, it will be a major set back going into a new coaching staff that has to deal with next years colossal schedule. So, it's either bucking Bronc-o or a donkey. Better have your guys--(err, I mean, the team you left behind) ready Bronco bc this loss will be the epitome of "if we lose its the coaches fault, and if we win, it's the players responsibility.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Frdbtr, since you seem to know more than "any of us know" why don't you share your sources or facts about--

All sports being shut down; and

New recruiting restrictions.

I don't mind posters opinions about some things. But these claims are just preposterous.

I can confirm it. I know someone who sat in the meeting where the discussion and vote to disband the athletics program at BYU like BYU Idaho was held.



It was a very close call.
U
urroner
There sure are a lot of eou4 grapes being consumed around here.



Coach M didn't leave any job undone. He said he wasnt going to be another LaVell, so lets get upset with him for being honest.



I don't think.his main job was to get a national championsip team, rather, like Hawkwing said, it was to restore a team in disarray and abouut to be disbanded, and he did a fantastic job.



Maybe some of you might think he's a traitor and is only worthy of of disdain and aswift kick in the ass as he's walking out the door. I think that is your problem to deal with. He is a hero of mine and already has a great legend.
B
BYULV
urroner wrote:
There sure are a lot of eou4 grapes being consumed around here.



Coach M didn't leave any job undone. He said he wasnt going to be another LaVell, so lets get upset with him for being honest.



I don't think.his main job was to get a national championsip team, rather, like Hawkwing said, it was to restore a team in disarray and abouut to be disbanded, and he did a fantastic job.



Maybe some of you might think he's a traitor and is only worthy of of disdain and aswift kick in the ass as he's walking out the door. I think that is your problem to deal with. He is a hero of mine and already has a great legend.


Not talking about the past 10 years, just this year. He was hired to coach this team all year, not just until another team comes calling or the regular season is over, but the entire year. He is supposed to be committed to his job until he leaves, which he hasn't done yet. If his team comes out and flops it's largely on him and will tarnish the reputation he has built up. Won't totally destroy his legacy, but definitely drops him down in status. It's a lot like this awesome employee I had for 7 years who calls me up one day and says she has another job starting the next day. She was an awesome employee for 7 years, but when she left without giving me time to fill her spot it left us in a tough spot. Her status was diminished in my eyes and I wouldn't hire her back Now if she came asking.
U
urroner
BYULV wrote:
Not talking about the past 10 years, just this year. He was hired to coach this team all year, not just until another team comes calling or the regular season is over, but the entire year. He is supposed to be committed to his job until he leaves, which he hasn't done yet. If his team comes out and flops it's largely on him and will tarnish the reputation he has built up. Won't totally destroy his legacy, but definitely drops him down in status. It's a lot like this awesome employee I had for 7 years who calls me up one day and says she has another job starting the next day. She was an awesome employee for 7 years, but when she left without giving me time to fill her spot it left us in a tough spot. Her status was diminished in my eyes and I wouldn't hire her back Now if she came asking.


I can see your point, but sometimes life forces somebody to makes decisions they wouldn't make other wise.



For example, the woman who up and quit on you, maybe it was a matter of her being able to make a lot more at the other place and it was either within a couple of days or not at all. And yes, money sometimes does override loyalty to somebody else or what the other person considers loyalty to be.



As has been mentioned already, by Bronco announcing his leaving before the bowl, that gave BYU the opportunity to start finding a coach earlier.



My mother died several years ago after an short illness. I have eight brothers and sisters and one of us was really upset with her dying. She stomped around for three days being pissed at God. How could God have taken Mom? Life was so unfair....no, not life, God was unfair. I'm mad with you God. You are sooooo mean and unfair.



A couple of hours before the funeral, when all of us were finally together and one sister pulled her aside and told her to stop being so angry with God. Mom was happy finally. She had been sick for a while and now she wasn't confined to a bed and she was with dad. She wasn't angry because God had so selfishly taken mom, she was angry because she was going to miss mom. She had some things she wanted to do with mom and to tell her, but now it was too late. By the time the funeral rolled around, she wasn't angry with God. She even laughed a lot during the funeral. Our family doesn't believe in sad funerals, it's a time to laugh about the good things we did.



I'm unsure about the future of the team. Bronco was the anchor of that future and now the anchor moved on and it's not a happy time for most of us. I'm angry, but it's not because Bronco moved on, it's because I'm going to miss him.



yes, we can all sit around and say that he's a bastard because he didn't do this right or he should have done that another way. We can all sit around and prophecy that if we lose the bowl, then it would have been because Bronco didn't have his heart in it or because of the disruption to the team he caused. Damn, how we view his legacy depends upon whether BYU wins the bowl or not. Personally that sounds a little bit childish to me.



I can't tell what's in Bronco's heart and I sure don't have the necessary facts to know why he did what he did and when he did it. All I know is that he took a team about to disintegrate and kiss the history books goodbye and turned it around and made it awesome.



I don't like losing, but at least there is a team at BYU that can lose and not there being a team not there.
J
Jarhead
BYULV wrote:
There sure are a lot of eou4 grapes being consumed around here.



Coach M didn't leave any job undone. He said he wasnt going to be another LaVell, so lets get upset with him for being honest.



I don't think.his main job was to get a national championsip team, rather, like Hawkwing said, it was to restore a team in disarray and abouut to be disbanded, and he did a fantastic job.



Maybe some of you might think he's a traitor and is only worthy of of disdain and aswift kick in the ass as he's walking out the door. I think that is your problem to deal with. He is a hero of mine and already has a great legend.


Not talking about the past 10 years, just this year. He was hired to coach this team all year, not just until another team comes calling or the regular season is over, but the entire year. He is supposed to be committed to his job until he leaves, which he hasn't done yet. If his team comes out and flops it's largely on him and will tarnish the reputation he has built up. Won't totally destroy his legacy, but definitely drops him down in status. It's a lot like this awesome employee I had for 7 years who calls me up one day and says she has another job starting the next day. She was an awesome employee for 7 years, but when she left without giving me time to fill her spot it left us in a tough spot. Her status was diminished in my eyes and I wouldn't hire her back Now if she came asking.


What Bronco did was not unusual at all. Many coaches have accepted jobs before bowl games. If Navy's coach accepts the BYU job, it will definitely be before Navy's bowl game. It is somewhat unusual for the coach to go ahead and coach the bowl game after accepting a job somewhere else, but in our case, I'm glad Bronco is staying to coach the game.



Your analogy is off base by the way because the employee you mention did not offer to keep doing work for you until you found someone else. Bronco made it clear to Virginia when he accepted the job that he would still coach the BYU team through the bowl game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.