Archived Topic

Anae, Tujague, Atuaia, Beck all leaving for Virginia

by Fido · 12/10/2015

Advertisement
F
Fido
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865643395/BYUs-Robert-Anae-leaving-for-Virginia-taking-3-assistants-with-him.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



“I met with my players today and told them of my decision and new position,” Anae told the Deseret News. “I have asked three other coaches to join me on my offensive staff and they have accepted. They are Garett Tujague (offensive line), Mark Atuaia (running backs) and Jason Beck (quarterbacks)."



Anae said he would have liked to take receiver coach Guy Holliday with “his team,” but there was no place for the popular coach.
V
vancouvercougar
Leaving the coaching cupboard really bare.
F
Fido
I hope Guy Holliday stays on the staff. I really like him. It may be nice if the new HC has mostly his guys come in with him though.
M
mraven
Can't say I'll miss Anae. I didn't have that big of a problem with his coaching, but he always sounded like a jerk every time I heard him speak. And if you read his comments, is it just me or does it sound like he's whining about not being appreciated. Beck, 2J and Autuaia . . . ouch. I was really hoping to keep Beck and 2J.
B
Brayden Green
So Anae is gone, and our best offensive coach (Holliday) stays?



This couldn't have worked out better. Good for you, Tom Holmoe. Now it's time to get Ty Detmer to come home (OC), and Chad Lewis to coach the tight ends and Oline.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
F
Fido
Predictions were that on the defensive side Bronco may take Howell and Poppinga. I guess we wait for word there. And if Anae says there is no room for taking Holliday I wonder who his is using for WRs instead?
B
Brayden Green
Fido wrote:
Predictions were that on the defensive side Bronco may take Howell and Poppinga. I guess we wait for word there. And if Anae says there is no room for taking Holliday I wonder who his is using for WRs instead?
I believe they are keeping the WR coach in Virginia.



Popping is a loss, but I'll take him going in a package deal with Howell. I wonder if the defense will be "casting shadows" out in Virginia? I wonder what will happen with the rest of the staff? I imagine Kaufusi turned Bronco down to stay with his boy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
Given Broncos history with hiring an offensive staff I guess this shouldn't suprise anyone. I'm a little suprised that he would have an offensive staff full of west coast guys with no contacts or ties to the area. Not exactly a strong recruiting point. :bug:



I wonder if this means Ken N. is a strong possibility for the job and will be bringing in his own staff? The triple option coming to Provo? :sick:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
I also believe this will kill any hope of Jamal Williams returning next year



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Make no mistake, this is a huge loss for BYU. We're lucky that Mangum is a 23 year old kid, because if he weren't he'd be transferring for sure.
Advertisement
B
birdie702
hawkwing wrote:
Make no mistake, this is a huge loss for BYU. We're lucky that Mangum is a 23 year old kid, because if he weren't he'd be transferring for sure.


Somebody tweeted earlier that Taysom Hill is returning to BYU next year. Can anyone with a reliable source confirm? Does that mean Ken Niumatalolo is going to Provo?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Not surprised. If I were an coach on this staff and I was offered a position with Bronco on his new staff, I would take it. You never know who the new coach will retain when he comes in or if he will fire everyone and bring in all his own guys. This is a smart move for the guys who are leaving.
G
Gunk
And all of this couldn't wait until after the LV Bowl?



Our players have to be so distracted while our coaches are busy picking out new houses in Virginia. If it wasn't a completion gut of the coaching staff, I'd say kick Bronco to the curb. But since the cupboard would be pretty bare, we aren't left with many options.



Has to be so distracting for the players.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SkystheLimit
It is doubtful that Jamal will transfer. If he does, it would have to be to an FCS school or lower. Otherwise he loses his last year of eligibility. I have my doubts, though, that we will see Taysom Hill back, although if BYU hires Niumatalolo, he could fit really well.



I'm not unhappy about Anae leaving, but losing Beck, Tujague and Atuaia hurts. I am scared as to the defensive coaches we are going to lose.
B
byucougar1
I believe that TH is looking for a clean slate with fresh faces. Anae's comments are very telling in that he had informed the BYU team of his decision to join Mendenhall at UVA earlier in the day on Wednesday. He implied that BYU had expressed no interest in having him stay on with the program, saying he was “underwhelmed” in the interest shown in him after Mendenhall announced last week that he was leaving BYU for Virginia. This shows that Anae wasn't considered as the HC.



Those who still remain at BYU: Kafusi (DL), Tidwell (ILB), Holliday (WR).



The other coaches likely left because of the uncertainty about the new coaching staff, their O/D philosophy, etc. With Bronco, they all knew they had jobs, were familiar with his system, and trusted him.



I am looking forward to the vision of what TH sees for the program as he certainly is aware of the daunting schedule that the team will face in the future.
Advertisement
A
a1247
SkystheLimit wrote:
It is doubtful that Jamal will transfer. If he does, it would have to be to an FCS school or lower. Otherwise he loses his last year of eligibility. I have my doubts, though, that we will see Taysom Hill back, although if BYU hires Niumatalolo, he could fit really well.



I'm not unhappy about Anae leaving, but losing Beck, Tujague and Atuaia hurts. I am scared as to the defensive coaches we are going to lose.


Jamal withdrew from school and never played a down he can GO anywhere (doesn't have to "transfer" since he's not enrolled in school) come Jan.1st without having to sit out a year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
I suppose this was to be expected. Can't say I'll miss Anae. And whoever the new HC ends up being will probably want his own guys.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
a1247 wrote:
It is doubtful that Jamal will transfer. If he does, it would have to be to an FCS school or lower. Otherwise he loses his last year of eligibility. I have my doubts, though, that we will see Taysom Hill back, although if BYU hires Niumatalolo, he could fit really well.



I'm not unhappy about Anae leaving, but losing Beck, Tujague and Atuaia hurts. I am scared as to the defensive coaches we are going to lose.


Jamal withdrew from school and never played a down he can GO anywhere (doesn't have to "transfer" since he's not enrolled in school) come Jan.1st without having to sit out a year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Some reports also state that Jamaal is set to graduate this April and would be free to transfer regardless.
S
SpiffCoug
I think these moves show just how shallow the Bronco coaching pool is.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think these moves show just how shallow the Bronco coaching pool is.


Yeah, and as some have mentioned, I wonder how UVA feels about him bringing in a huge contingency of current coaches (his guys).



I'll tell you one thing, if I were a tight end at UVA I would get on the phones right now trying to find a place to transfer to.



And if I were a player at BYU I would hold team meetings and basically figure out how we were going to win this game, because I doubt that the staff is 100% concerned about the game.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.