M
MarsWhat was BYU's best Team this decade?
2006 and 2009 ended with the best bowl wins. 2001 had the best beginning.
IMO, Max Hall wasn't quite as good as John Beck, but the team his senior year was better.
by Mars · 12/27/2009
kitic77 wrote:
If Staley doesn't get hurt they go 14-0. Teams were starting to figure out how to stop the offense by the end though. But no offense had a player like Staley. The 09 team was very complete and had two wins (Oklahoma, Oregon St) that were better than any other team in the decade, so it' d be tough to go against them. By the end of 2006, I think that team was a Top 5 team and I would have liked BYU's chances against just about anyone in the nation.
Sammich wrote:If Staley doesn't get hurt they go 14-0. Teams were starting to figure out how to stop the offense by the end though. But no offense had a player like Staley. The 09 team was very complete and had two wins (Oklahoma, Oregon St) that were better than any other team in the decade, so it' d be tough to go against them. By the end of 2006, I think that team was a Top 5 team and I would have liked BYU's chances against just about anyone in the nation.
I think if the coaching staff instructs the kicker to kick the ball out of bounds every single kickoff/punt in the Hawaii game, BYU never ends up playing from so far behind and Staley doesn't break his leg. BYU killed themselves trying to come back that game (and they nearly did it anyway), injuring doman, staley, gilford, and several others so much that they weren't able to contribute in the bowl game.
Seriously, we knew our special teams was suspect and that Hawaii's return man was dangerous. Kick the dang ball out of bounds! (The 40-yard line penalty for out-of-bounds kicks hadn't been instituted yet)
snoscythe wrote:
Where do I vote for the 2002 Buckeyes?
frdbtr wrote:kitic77 wrote:
If Staley doesn't get hurt they go 14-0. Teams were starting to figure out how to stop the offense by the end though. But no offense had a player like Staley. The 09 team was very complete and had two wins (Oklahoma, Oregon St) that were better than any other team in the decade, so it' d be tough to go against them. By the end of 2006, I think that team was a Top 5 team and I would have liked BYU's chances against just about anyone in the nation.
I think if the coaching staff instructs the kicker to kick the ball out of bounds every single kickoff/punt in the Hawaii game, BYU never ends up playing from so far behind and Staley doesn't break his leg. BYU killed themselves trying to come back that game (and they nearly did it anyway), injuring doman, staley, gilford, and several others so much that they weren't able to contribute in the bowl game.
Seriously, we knew our special teams was suspect and that Hawaii's return man was dangerous. Kick the dang ball out of bounds! (The 40-yard line penalty for out-of-bounds kicks hadn't been instituted yet)
Staley was injured the week before the Hawaii game in the Mississippi state game.
craigoscarson wrote:
That 01 team was loaded.... Ryan Denney, Brett Keisel, Chris Hoke, Justin Ena, Aaron Francisco, Gernaro Gilford, Scott Jackson, Doug Jolley, Matt Payne, Brady Poppinga, Paul Walkenhorts, Brandon Doman, Luke Staley etc.
I have a hard time believing that team (if healthy) wouldn't beat this years team handily.
craigoscarson wrote:
That 01 team was loaded.... Ryan Denney, Brett Keisel, Chris Hoke, Justin Ena, Aaron Francisco, Gernaro Gilford, Scott Jackson, Doug Jolley, Matt Payne, Brady Poppinga, Paul Walkenhorts, Brandon Doman, Luke Staley etc.
I have a hard time believing that team (if healthy) wouldn't beat this years team handily.