Archived Topic

A Few Random End-of-the-Season Thoughts

by mcgregor · 12/27/2009

Advertisement
M
mcgregor
1. Great way to finish out the season. There were some disappointments, but this OSU win leaves the team confident that they can compete with anyone, much like they felt after the OU win.



2. Jaime Hill is an amazing DC. I will suggest that he is the best DC BYU has EVER had. Sure, there are probably some personality defects in there, but his understanding of the game, his ability to teach, and his ability to checkmate his opponents are unparalleled in our history, and are hardly matched in all of D1 football.



3. I'm in the Jake Heaps camp. We will have some amazing backups that would probably start at other D1 schools, but right now I'm thinking Heaps will be the man. Munns is probably the only one that would give him a serious run for his money, but his timing won't put him in a good enough position to compete. I do know that coaches were really high on Munns pre-mission. Nelson is serviceable, but his arm strength is not good enough for this offense. I can explain further later.



4. I actually enjoyed Max Hall's post-Utah comments. I wasn't, however, a big fan of that pilot running that banner over the Poinsettia Bowl. He should have left it at "George is still running."



5. Coach Mendenhall is maturing as a coach. One criticism has been his bowl performance. This year he proved that he could prepare his team to play a well-prepared, and TALENTED, team. OSU has athletes. BYU's are better.



6. This year's recruiting class is INSANE. Take the bottom half of this class, stick them in a class 3 seasons ago, and we would be drooling over them. Notables for me are the incredibly strong LBer class; with Fua and Stout, few talk about Keoshian, who apparently was labeled by one coach as an NFL lock. And we seem to forget a really strong defensive backfield class, with Johnson and Gaines, among others. And finally, Quezada seems like the real deal at TB, and Philips seems like a faster version of Nate Meikle at the slot.



7. Logan and Bradley may be the best CB tandem since Morgan and McTyer. Their solid play has enabled the rest of the defense to be less concerned about what's going on at the corners. That has freed up the safeties, which we've all noticed making tremendous plays all season long. But probably most important is that it has allowed the safeties to help the MLBers, an unfortunate weakness on an otherwise strong defense.



8. The DL was a bit disappointing this year, but I'm not surprised. I think in years past our DL was GREATLY enhanced by the play of Cameron Jensen and especially Kelly Poppinga.



9. Those who criticize Chambers are a bit ridiculous. This kid is good. I'm genuinely confused by some of the ire he draws from this crowd base. I have to draw on Bronco for this: those that criticize Chambers are evidencing their lack of football knowledge. Chambers has EXCELLENT hands (though not perfect), is a fantastic blocker, and has great vision. All this as a sophomore. The only thing I wish for him is to shave off a tenth on his 40 time. With that, by his senior year he will go down as one of BYU's better receivers of the decade.



10. We will miss Unga, but with his departure I will look for BYU's backfield to start to take a different shape. I think the next Unga will play fullback. Consider the possibilities of someone Harvey's size, speed, and vision blocking and running as a fullback, and someone a little smaller but much faster sitting back there with him. I think that's the direction things will go, and I'm pretty sure that's the preferred arrangement of this coaching staff.



All, it has been a fun season, and I look forward to another great one next year, and possibly a very special one the year after that. These are good times to be a Cougar. BYU is beginning to put its best talent ever--teamwise--on the field, and is being coached by someone that may prove to be the best ever to coach at this institution.



Cheers,



JL McGregor

Dallas TX
F
frdbtr
I agree with everything, except being in the Heaps "camp". I will be behind whoever wins the starting job. If it is Heaps, then I will be happy. Having said that, I think he wins the job. I think it will be either Lark or Heaps. I expect Munns to transfer since he pretty much will have no chance to win the starting job due to when he comes home from his mission.
M
Mars
mcgregor wrote:
I'm in the Jake Heaps camp. We will have some amazing backups that would probably start at other D1 schools, but right now I'm thinking Heaps will be the man. Munns is probably the only one that would give him a serious run for his money, but his timing won't put him in a good enough position to compete. I do know that coaches were really high on Munns pre-mission. Nelson is serviceable, but his arm strength is not good enough for this offense. I can explain further later.

I agree, that-

1- Heaps is the best talent and fit we will have next year at QB.

2- Munns is 2nd in both talent and fit for our QBs next season. I wish (yes, selfishly) that his mission ended today.
M
mcgregor
frdbtr wrote:
I agree with everything, except being in the Heaps "camp". I will be behind whoever wins the starting job. If it is Heaps, then I will be happy. Having said that, I think he wins the job. I think it will be either Lark or Heaps. I expect Munns to transfer since he pretty much will have no chance to win the starting job due to when he comes home from his mission.


Of course, I hope the job goes to the best man. I'm just guessing that the best man proves to be Heaps.
C
CougarPeasant
Well said mcgregor. I agree with you on Hill's abilities as a DC. I figure if Bronco thought he could do a better job, he would have kept the play calling hat on defense. Since he trusts Hill to be as good, if not better, than himself, he made the right call in turning those duties over to Jaime.



The talent we are starting to see on the field after Bronco's recruiting success over the past couple of seasons is incredible compared to prior seasons and to other MWC schools. That BYU is still rated in the top 20 of recruiting classes this time in the season is a testament to how strong this class is.



I might add that the MWC is getting stronger. Wyoming's win over Fresno St. is a clear example of that. Though Wyoming struggled in the MWC, they did get bowl eligible and beat a very solid FSU team. AFA is moving in the right direction and 2010 should be the year they finally beat Navy and perhaps even go undefeated OOC. SDSU has the right coaching staff to start doing well and we are excited by the new higher in UNLV, though it might be a coaching black hole. Who knows. The biggest surprise was CSU's meltdown in conference play and NM's total melt down for the entire season, but explainable given the turmoil caused b y the new coach.



The MWC needs one more team to reach the 8-9 wins a season plateau and a 6th team to become bowl eligible every year and then there really is no keeping the MWC out of the BCS bowl mix as an AQ, especially if the Cotton Bowl is promoted to BCS status and aligned with the Big 12 providing the MWC with an opportunity to move into the Fiesta Bowl on a permanent basis.



Yes in deed, it is an exciting time to be a BYU fan.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
This year's recruiting class is INSANE. Take the bottom half of this class, stick them in a class 3 seasons ago, and we would be drooling over them. Notables for me are the incredibly strong LBer class; with Fua and Stout, few talk about Keoshian, who apparently was labeled by one coach as an NFL lock. And we seem to forget a really strong defensive backfield class, with Johnson and Gaines, among others. And finally, Quezada seems like the real deal at TB, and Philips seems like a faster version of Nate Meikle at the slot.

I've been pitching Keoshian all year long, not only is the kid an amazing athlete but in my online discussions with him, he puts in 4-5 hours a day into working on his strength and speed, and he's a fabulous human being and strong christian that might even put some of his lds teammates to shame.



I'm sure it was just random, but you didn't name a single Utah high school player in that list... including the 2nd best talent in our recruiting class, Bronson Kaufusi (he's a monster);

Or Tuni Kanuch the Utah player of the year, Manu Mulitalo, Sae Tautu, Jordan Black, Jordan Afo, Joey Owens, etc.



As exciting as the out of state recruits are (keep in mind I'm out of state likewise) but I think we've found in the past that Utah players get ripped off as far as recruiting rankings persay, yet turn out to make very good linemen and linebackers.



Look no further than the lack of national attention that Tyler Haws should have received as probably the most decorated high school hoops player in Utah history... he steps in as a freshman and even blows our socks off. I knew he was good, but come on, he's the ice man....



I think that our west coast friends like Stout, Heaps, Fua, Quezada have been seen and ranked fairly for their talents. But the Utah preps tend to get much less attention and often are significantly better than their rankings... (not always as Markell Staffieris article on recruiting showed )



Throw in 2 star guys like Travis Tuiloma that will get serious time at DT next season (the kid ate triple teams for lunch in my home state) Tayo Fabuluje, (who according to a friend of his, Earnest Norman, that was signed by Nebraska)= would be the best dlineman in the state of Texas if he weren't so lazy) (Jay Omer will correct that), 3 star Ross Apo (that won every camps best wr award that he attended) and by all accounts could be 5 stars if he didn't play for a tiny little private school; and you start to see that if these kids were fairly ranked (all BCS favoritism aside) that we're legitimately talking about a top 8-9 national recruiting class.



Throw in Ounoa Kaveingas change of heart and an actual shot at Ricky Heimuli..... and we're talking about an unprecendented bevy of talent at BYU.



Oh and dont' forget Kyle VanNoy. A bigger and faster Bryan Kehl clone.
D
Ddawg
Great thoughts & insight. What a year! What a finish! The future is bright. We will really miss the departing seniors - what a GREAT bunch of guys & athletes!
T
tripwire
mcgregor wrote:

9. Those who criticize Chambers are a bit ridiculous. This kid is good. I'm genuinely confused by some of the ire he draws from this crowd base. I have to draw on Bronco for this: those that criticize Chambers are evidencing their lack of football knowledge. Chambers has EXCELLENT hands (though not perfect), is a fantastic blocker, and has great vision. All this as a sophomore. The only thing I wish for him is to shave off a tenth on his 40 time. With that, by his senior year he will go down as one of BYU's better receivers of the decade.


Agree completely. He does get in trouble sometimes but it always seems to be because of his enthusiasm and confidence, like not calling fair catches when there are 3 opposing players standing next to him. If you have to have a fault it's a good one to have.

He will get smarter and better every year.
S
SpiffCoug
I'm very interested to see how the QB battle shapes up. The QBs who will be competing have very different strengths. It'll be interesting to see how Anae, Doman and Bronco frame the QB battle so that each QB can demonstrate their strengths. I'm not sure lining each QB up and saying run plays X, Y and Z will be sufficient. But how do you have Heaps run plays A, B and C while Nelson does L, M, N and Lark T, U and V and get a fair comparison? I think it's going to be very interesting to see how it plays out.
C
craigoscarson
kitic77 wrote:
I'm very interested to see how the QB battle shapes up. The QBs who will be competing have very different strengths. It'll be interesting to see how Anae, Doman and Bronco frame the QB battle so that each QB can demonstrate their strengths. I'm not sure lining each QB up and saying run plays X, Y and Z will be sufficient. But how do you have Heaps run plays A, B and C while Nelson does L, M, N and Lark T, U and V and get a fair comparison? I think it's going to be very interesting to see how it plays out.


If someone other than Nelson gets the nod, I hope the coaching staff is smart enough to see what Utah has done int he past up north and employ Nelson in the game plan.



I still dont' see the wisdom of starting a true freshman in light of the other talent we have at qb, but it we do, I'd sure like to see Nelson actively involved on the field.
Advertisement
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
I still dont' see the wisdom of starting a true freshman

I bet Boston College's defense said the same before the Emerald bowl yesterday...
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
I still dont' see the wisdom of starting a true freshman

I bet Boston College's defense said the same before the Emerald bowl yesterday...


Or the USC fans that forgot what it's like not to go to a BCS bowl?
B
bball
Just my observations:



1. Mike Riley (and I like the guy) looked much like Bob Stoops looked against BYU. Both looked dazed, confused, and unable to comprehend what was happening to them, or what to do about it. I think both got out-coached by BYU.

2. I think Chambers is deserving of some "ire" from the fans; here's why. A) he has shown nothing as a punt or kick returner, he runs straight ahead, makes no moves, avoids no tackles. B) he fumbles, C) he does some really stupid things that hurts the team, like personal foul penalties. I hope he gets better, and maybe he will, but he has not won me over by a long shot.

3. Max Hall played for three full years and never really got injured, or missed a game. I think he did sit out the Utah State game his first year, and he had the shoulder injury, but he still played. He deserves credit just for being tough. I've watched a lot of QBs play this year, and he is better than most of them. And I really don't care if he plays in the NFL, I only care what he does for BYU, and he did pretty well.

4. BYU is 11-2 because of their tight ends, not because of their WRs. Jacobsen and Chambers might be all world some day, but this year, it was our TEs that made us a really good team, nobody could cover them, and they just caught everything thrown to them. I observe a lot of teams do not throw to their TEs, ever, they are blockers only, and their offenses kind of stink.

5. At season's end, I believe BYU's offensive scheme is really, really good. I have more respect for Anae now, than previously. He utilizes everybody on the field, WRs, TEs, RBs, fullbacks, everybody. I do think he should have rolled Hall out of the pocket more than he did. Hall was very good throwing on the run, plus he can run, but maybe there were reasons he didn't.

6. Lou Holtz (yes I like him, and yes he should retire from broadcasting) knows football, and it's obvious he sees things his cohorts do not. I was pleased who ESPN gave us for the bowl game (I really detest Musburger). Anyway, Holtz was gaga over BYU's defense in the bowl game, and he observed that it was the discipline of the players to do their job, and to trust everybody else to do their job. Maybe this is why neither Oklahoma or OSU ever threw the ball deep on BYU, because the receivers were not open. I think Hill does the best he can do with the talent he has, and isn't that all you can ask of any coach?
B
BoiseBYU
Some really good observations. Here are a few more: This season had two of the most exciting wins I've seen--OK and UT were pretty nice book end wins if you ask me



Seeing the QB play at SC, BC, Ohio State, MI etc. this year, we really take for granted the QB play we have enjoyed over the past four years or so



TCU will beat BSU--why? Many reasons but the latest: BSU's starting left tackle is out for the game and a freshman will be matched up against Jerry Hughes--I just hope Kellan Moore lives to tell his children about it.



I will really miss Unga, Pitta and George....They were players to be remembered.



BC and SC were really boring to watch
S
snoscythe
craigoscarson wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
I still dont' see the wisdom of starting a true freshman

I bet Boston College's defense said the same before the Emerald bowl yesterday...


Or the USC fans that forgot what it's like not to go to a BCS bowl?


Or the BC fans who thought their true freshman QB was pretty good....
Advertisement
B
bball
BoiseBYU wrote:
Some really good observations. Here are a few more: This season had two of the most exciting wins I've seen--OK and UT were pretty nice book end wins if you ask me



Seeing the QB play at SC, BC, Ohio State, MI etc. this year, we really take for granted the QB play we have enjoyed over the past four years or so



I will really miss Unga, Pitta and George....They were players to be remembered.



BC and SC were really boring to watch


Agreed, Hall is better than we give him credit for. I'd still take him over most QBs I've seen play this year. Yes, he had a couple of poor games, but so did Colt McCoy (he stunk the place up one game I watched). The Cal QB (Riley?) was awful. If Cal would have had Hall, they'd have beaten Utah. Utah wasn't exactly dominating.
F
frdbtr
mcgregor wrote:
I agree with everything, except being in the Heaps "camp". I will be behind whoever wins the starting job. If it is Heaps, then I will be happy. Having said that, I think he wins the job. I think it will be either Lark or Heaps. I expect Munns to transfer since he pretty much will have no chance to win the starting job due to when he comes home from his mission.


Of course, I hope the job goes to the best man. I'm just guessing that the best man proves to be Heaps.


That is a good speculation :) I think he will probably win the job too.
S
scott715
Another thought. I think it has been established that you don't have to be perfect to make it to the BCS now. The only issue is that a perfect BSU might take the only spot.
M
mcgregor
bball wrote:

2. I think Chambers is deserving of some "ire" from the fans; here's why. A) he has shown nothing as a punt or kick returner, he runs straight ahead, makes no moves, avoids no tackles. B) he fumbles, C) he does some really stupid things that hurts the team, like personal foul penalties. I hope he gets better, and maybe he will, but he has not won me over by a long shot.


This is part of my problem. First, take away that personal foul against OSU--he said that he couldn't hear the whistle, and under those conditions, and being so far downfield, I believe him. Other than that, has he really had more personal fouls than Max Hall? Scott Johnson?



I seem to remember Chambers doing quite well returning punts against Utah, and gaining some respectable yards in other games. If you expect him to return every other kick, then you are right, he does not meet expectations. But is he an improvement over the other talent we've fielded over the past few years? I think so.



Yes, he fumbles. Part of that is because of the position he puts himself in. He will learn to protect the ball better as time goes on.



All in all, Chambers is a great upgrade. I love watching him play, especially on the plays he doesn't get the ball.
G
gmj81
Let's get one thing straight. Chambers has fumbled twice this year. That's it. And neither was as costly as Jacobson's botched PR in the OU game but no one seems to keep harping on that little miscue.



I really don't get the criticism of Chambers. Out of one side of their mouth, BYU fans are calling for the players to be more passionate and 'nasty', then in the very next breath they start slamming guys like Chambers and Scott Johnson (for what was clearly not a helmet to helmet hit or even an attempted one).
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.