Archived Topic

What was it about Bronco?

by EM_Puma · 12/5/2015

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I had one son texting me and a SIL calling me on my train ride home yesterday to tell me about Bronco's acceptance of the Virginia HC job (there must be something about orange that BM likes (OSU & UVA)).



What surprised me was my reaction and I don't quite know why. I felt excited at the new prospect of a new head coach and at the same time very anxious that we'd never find the "right" replacement. Coupled in there also was a bit of remorse of having lost such a successful coach that really got what BYU was with its positives and negatives--as far as the world of major college football goes.



Normally when a school has a guy who has been successful and he moves to a higher profile and/or paying job (Utah can relate to this as when they lost Urban) there is a very hollow feeling. Surprising that we have never know that feeling in football. This is a little similar to when we lost Steve Cleveland. He was in no danger of losing his job, but still people weren't totally content with the job he was doing, and he ups and departs to Fresno for the sake of a pension and never really was sufficiently successful.



We just lost a coach we had for 11 years and who had a 99-42 record with 11 consecutive trips to bowl games (having won six and hopefully the 7th). You would think we would be crying in our rootbeers, but it was almost like the kid who watches his two beloved parents split up. On one side he's just happy that maybe the fighting is over, but on the other side he's going to miss that close association he had in his home with the departing parent (yes, I'm a product of a divorced family--twice).



Am I the only one that is having these two diverse feelings of excitement and despair?
S
sandiegoblue
I share some of your feelings. I loved Bronco as a coach and I loved the fact that his players loved him so much. His methodology and the way he represented the school were just right for BYU. His interactions with media seemed to be one of his struggles and his 4 game losing streak against Utah was the low point.



I hope he is very successful at UVA, unless his team plays BYU. I have doubts we will find a better coach, but I remain hopeful we will find a new great fit so that the program moves forward. I still believe that BYU is the most difficult coaching job in the country. I respect anyone who will embrace this opportunity.
E
EM_Puma
sandiegoblue wrote:
His interactions with media seemed to be one of his struggles and his 4 game losing streak against Utah was the low point.


I think the won/lost record he had with Utah was my biggest disappointment and where I could never find true satisfaction in a coach that didn't understand that in the game of sports there is often a rival and it is not wrong to place some major emphasis in beating that opponent. I'm one of those individuals who work and live around Utah fans and it's a big deal to have to go FOUR YEARS with FOR LOSSES to my biggest rival.
S
Schmoe
Not everyone shares your feelings. Some of us just felt hollow and sick upon the announcement and now dread the mediocrity that will come with the underwhelming announcement of some untested head coach vs the powerhouse schedules we've set up. Bronco is the man, and the guy who replaces him will be like Riley at Nebraska.
J
Jarhead
Bronco is the man, and BYU had some serious momentum building going into a crazy year next year. A bowl victory against Utah would have been the final piece in the puzzle towards some major excitement for next season. It still will be sweet and a major vindication for Bronco if that happens, but man I am not pleased with this news at all.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
Schmoe wrote:
Not everyone shares your feelings. Some of us just felt hollow and sick upon the announcement and now dread the mediocrity that will come with the underwhelming announcement of some untested head coach vs the powerhouse schedules we've set up. Bronco is the man, and the guy who replaces him will be like Riley at Nebraska.


This is where I'm at. It's so slim that we get better and if we do that guy is unlikely to stick around. I'm not a believer that Bronco was paid as little as the Gordon monsons would like to say but they aren't going to drop $2.5mm which seems to be what you need for a known commodity. We'll have to take chances on dudes that are 50/50 in how proven they are.



Who knows. There's a lot of dudes out there that come up that are LDS that I've never heard of. Maybe Tom has a few dark horses we don't know about.



It could take awhile to see another 10 win season after this one (after we beat the Utes for Broncos 100th win)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Why do I get the feeling some will almost want us to go 4-8 just so they can say, "See, Bronco WAS the answer."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
KingCoug wrote:
Why do I get the feeling some will almost want us to go 4-8 just so they can say, "See, Bronco WAS the answer."http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Ah, the classic example of irony.
U
Ungoy
KingCoug wrote:
Why do I get the feeling some will almost want us to go 4-8 just so they can say, "See, Bronco WAS the answer."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


And why do I get the feeling that if the stars were to align just right next year and we do something special that people like you will use that as an excuse to further rail Bronco and say that it never could have happened with him coaching, and that he was a terrible coach?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
Ungoy
Also there were some on Cougarboard that wanted this season to tank at the end so that BYU would fire Bronco.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Bronco was the used car that after selling realize how many good qualities it had, good MPG, reliable, never left you stranded, didn't cost a lot to work on, was enjoyable to drive. It didn't beat every car out there off the line, but it was quick enough to compete with the debutante ford mustangs and wannabes.



Will be interesting to see what new (or used - Anae) car BYU decides to drive into the sunset.
E
EM_Puma
BroncoBot wrote:
Bronco was the used car that after selling realize how many good qualities it had, good MPG, reliable, never left you stranded, didn't cost a lot to work on, was enjoyable to drive. It didn't beat every car out there off the line, but it was quick enough to compete with the debutante ford mustangs and wannabes.


Couldn't have said it better.
S
Stirfry
KingCoug wrote:
Why do I get the feeling some will almost want us to go 4-8 just so they can say, "See, Bronco WAS the answer."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Come on King you've been in the upswing lately! Don't let the Dean pull you back in to the rain cloud :sick:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:
Why do I get the feeling some will almost want us to go 4-8 just so they can say, "See, Bronco WAS the answer."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I have the feeling that fans like you will be calling for his head after the first loss while fans like me will be defending him and asking fans like you to give him more time to prove himself.
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:



I have the feeling that fans like you will be calling for his head after the first loss while fans like me will be defending him and asking fans like you to give him more time to prove himself.


You, of course, have nothing to base that on.



If you go back to my early posts in years posts in years past, I was one of Bronco's biggest defenders. I became critical of him only in the last few years.



Whoever takes over will be going up the toughest schedule in school history in his first season. And I said in another thread that one year won't necessarily be enough to judge him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.