Archived Topic

Vote For BYU's Next Head Coach

by byufan4ever · 12/5/2015

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
For me my top choices are: Bevell, Niumatalolo, or Anderson. Not sure which is my favorite yet.
S
Schmoe
If I get to choose, it's Andy Reid, hands down, but that's not happening.
G
Gunk
BYU should go all in and get Reid. I'll pay 11% tithing to make it happen.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
To bad this didn't happen last year. It sounds like Gary Anderson wanted out of Wisconsin really bad and wanted to head back to the west. Maybe had Bronco left last year he would have considered leaving for BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
Gunk wrote:
BYU should go all in and get Reid. I'll pay 11% tithing to make it happen.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

11% still might not be enough....



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
Gary Andersen to BYU isn't going to happen, unless he comes back to the Church. One of the reasons the candidate pool is so small is that BYU only considers active LDS members for head coaching positions. I believe that they have to be temple recommend holders as well, but I might be wrong on that.
U
Ungoy
My solid pick would be Reid, but it won't happen unless through some sort of divine intervention. I'm intrigued by Stanford's DC Lance Anderson, but need to know more about him.
S
SkystheLimit
My top two are Lance Anderson and Darrell Bevell. I can't believe anyone would vote for Robert Anae and Andy Reid is a pipe dream. Actually, I think so is Darrell Bevell who has been interviewed a few times for NFL head coaching positions. I don't think Kilani Sitaki is ready by any stretch of the imagination. Niumatatolo is an option coach. I like him, but I don't think he's a good fit for BYU. And don't even mention Kyle Whittingham! It seems like defensive coaches make the best head coaches, so that is the direction I'd go.
U
Ungoy
I would have a hard time adjusting to Whittingham coaching BYU. I can't stand him as a coach, and hope he never comes back to BYU. My two realistic options (even though I voted for Reid, are Lance Anderson and Darrell Bevell.
D
Ddawg
Lance Anderson - he works for a classy and successful University - Stanford. He knows how to coach and win against nationally ranked teams. He is the Director of Recruiting at Stanford - huge. Hands down, hire this man. I doubt he would be interested.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Ddawg wrote:
Lance Anderson - he works for a classy and successful University - Stanford. He know how to coach and win against nationally ranked teams. He is the Director of Recruiting at Stanford - huge. Hands down, hire this man. I doubt he would be interested.


Ddawg is spot on. Stupid poll. Most options listed aren't even options.
M
MesaCougFan
I voted for Coach Ken. He has shown that he can succeed in a difficult recruiting environment at Navy. He would be inheriting a pretty solid program with full cupboards. He would do well here.



It is a joke to even list Reid or Whitt.



My first choice wasn't listed.
S
snoscythe
How do we buyout the $15MM left on Big Andy's contract?
B
birdie702
The Poly in me really want Niumatalolo but I highly doubt he'd want to take a pay cut. Additionally, I'm not sure I want what he's running at Navy for BYU. If Anae becomes the HC I'm switching alliance to the dark side. I don't think he's ready. I could be wrong.

No way in hell Andy Reid would also take a ginormous decrease in pay to come "home" to Provo. And hell to the no with KWhitt. I think he hates BYU more than the Utes. Lol

I'm going for the Stanford DC. Make it happen TH!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
birdie702 wrote:
The Poly in me really want Niumatalolo but I highly doubt he'd want to take a pay cut. Additionally, I'm not sure I want what he's running at Navy for BYU. If Anae becomes the HC I'm switching alliance to the dark side. I don't think he's ready. I could be wrong.

No way in hell Andy Reid would also take a ginormous decrease in pay to come "home" to Provo. And hell to the no with KWhitt. I think he hates BYU more than the Utes. Lol

I'm going for the Stanford DC. Make it happen TH!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


This, plus, if you think Bronco had problems with entitled donors and whiny fans, Dr Bob would thrive in shutting down, embarrassing, and demoralizing these folks. He would be a PR dumpster fire. But I think fans should prepare themselves. You could do a whole different poll and not ask what people want but ask what are the probabilities.

Reid? Crack smokers.

Ken--supposedly no way he's intersted.

Sark? More crack smokers

Whitt--Ya, let's see hi take a $2mm paycut to deal with BYU challenges.

Sitake? Maybe. Just maybe. I don't know what Derek S sees in him other than being a great friend and Poly (which would be a big recruiting coup. Sitake, ANAE, Kaufusi, Atuaia, etc.? That could be a serious Poly Pipeline!

Etc, etc, etc.



But, ANAE might just be "THE GUY" bc they can't get anyone else.
Advertisement
Y
Ygridiron4ever
So, I'm not "in-the-know" in any way. No surprise that Bronco's departure came out of left field. Seems like a couple times - when contracts were coming due - there was chatter. But this......crickets as far as I know.



So, it makes me think that the announcement of a new coach will will follow suit; catch almost everyone off guard.



I am curious about the lack of talk regarding Ty Detmer. He might really like coaching his nephew!
S
sandiegoblue
Garett Tujague was a head coach at the JC level in California before he came to BYU. No one is talking about him, so maybe he's not in the mix. But I wonder if he will get any looks. Thoughts?
E
EM_Puma
I can't understand why anyone is even mentioning KTwit as a possible replacement. Why in the world would he ever even consider a job he has already turned down? The only thing BYU about Whittingham is is diploma. I'm just surprised his name is even mentioned. Andy Reid will never happen either, but at least there is the aspect that he would want to come to BYU because he likes BYU.
K
KingCoug
birdie702 wrote:
The Poly in me really want Niumatalolo but I highly doubt he'd want to take a pay cut. Additionally, I'm not sure I want what he's running at Navy for BYU. If Anae becomes the HC I'm switching alliance to the dark side. I don't think he's ready. I could be wrong.

No way in hell Andy Reid would also take a ginormous decrease in pay to come "home" to Provo. And hell to the no with KWhitt. I think he hates BYU more than the Utes. Lol

I'm going for the Stanford DC. Make it happen TH!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Niumatalolo pay cut? What are you talking about? If he came to BYU, it would be a slight pay RAISE.



Bronco was making around $2 million. Looking at the links below, Niumatalolo's salary is about $1.7 million.





http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
birdie702
KingCoug wrote:
The Poly in me really want Niumatalolo but I highly doubt he'd want to take a pay cut. Additionally, I'm not sure I want what he's running at Navy for BYU. If Anae becomes the HC I'm switching alliance to the dark side. I don't think he's ready. I could be wrong.

No way in hell Andy Reid would also take a ginormous decrease in pay to come "home" to Provo. And hell to the no with KWhitt. I think he hates BYU more than the Utes. Lol

I'm going for the Stanford DC. Make it happen TH!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Niumatalolo pay cut? What are you talking about? If he came to BYU, it would be a slight pay RAISE.



Bronco was making around $2 million. Looking at the links below, Niumatalolo's salary is about $1.7 million.





http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [img]http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png[/



Um my cousin Niumatalolo is getting a fat raise next year...lol :p
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.