Archived Topic

Urban Meyer: Leaving UF

by Y&Brit · 12/26/2009

Advertisement
U
urroner
From ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952


"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.



"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.
B
byutx
He knows it's going to get harder without God's gift to football and the next big NFL TE/LB Tim Tebow.
B
BYUROCKS
byutx wrote:
He knows it's going to get harder without God's gift to football and the next big NFL TE/LB Tim Tebow.




:D :D :D :D that made me smile, he also knows fans get mad if he loses to Bama next year... AGAIN.
B
byutx
Someone on Cougarboard put it perfectly: 26 arrests in 5 years will be tough to beat!
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
byutx wrote:
Someone on Cougarboard put it perfectly: 26 arrests in 5 years will be tough to beat!


Maybe he'll go to the Bengals...
C
CAFB_04-12
Two thoughts immediately came to mind: 1) I hope he's not sick (cancer, or something like that) and 2) I hope he doesn't pull a Tiger Woods on his family.
S
scott715
Didn't he just say that footbal is #3 behind faith and family? Maybe he should take some time off and then come to BYU as a OC and make it #5.
K
kiwibacon
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Two thoughts immediately came to mind: 1) I hope he's not sick (cancer, or something like that) and 2) I hope he doesn't pull a Tiger Woods on his family.

I know we joke sometimes but it does sound major (health). Remember he checked himself in after the SEC Championship game to a hospital.
C
craigoscarson
Maybe it is health, but usually a serious health issue precedes an announcement like this; though exhaustion and anxiety can really mess you up; especially if you dont' eat/sleep etc. We knew about Dave Rose's health before we knew what his coaching future would be.



Now alcoholism, mental health issues, depression, anxiety, etc. are something that are serious but usually stay behind closed doors.

As someone in the medical field, I don't see a serious illness like cancer, etc. being the issue or it would have been out there for public consumption.





Who knows... I remember the day that Tiger Woods had his auto accident and I felt terrible for him. He was even falsely reported as being in critical condition by espn; He's too high profile a coach for this not to come out whether it be health, etc. etc.
Advertisement
S
StatsCougar
Another question is who will replace Meyer. ESPN mentioned that Florida should look at KWitt. If he goes, what will happen to Utah?
C
CougarPeasant
Apparently he has a heart condition, which is non threatening, fortunately. The guy is a brilliant coach, although I don't agree with his methods of motivation.



Here's to a full life for his and his family's sake.
C
craigoscarson
CougarPeasant wrote:
Apparently he has a heart condition, which is non threatening, fortunately. The guy is a brilliant coach, although I don't agree with his methods of motivation.



Here's to a full life for his and his family's sake.


Again if it were something life threatening, this would have been front page news a while ago.



He could have chronic atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, etc. etc. but thus far nothing diagnostic has been named and certainly you can still coach and be much more unhealthy (aka rick majerus) so I'm going to consider this burnout until something more concrete rules that out.



I certainly don't wish any physical harm on Urban or anyone (even Austin Collie ;) ) but forgive me if I have a hard time believing Urban as far as his real motivations here. I guess we'll see.
C
CougarPeasant
Actually, I take him at face value on this one. I read on ESPN that he has a heart condition and they are reporting now that it's something that has been ongoing for years and he finally sees it as serious enough to step down and get healthy again. He will return to Florida in some capacity once he's in better shape, but it won't be as head coach.
C
craigoscarson
Regardless, Lane Kiffin just had a great day.



I hope whoever Florida replaces Meyer with, that they keep their foot down on Tennessee....
Advertisement
B
BYUROCKS
CougarPeasant wrote:
Actually, I take him at face value on this one. I read on ESPN that he has a heart condition and they are reporting now that it's something that has been ongoing for years and he finally sees it as serious enough to step down and get healthy again. He will return to Florida in some capacity once he's in better shape, but it won't be as head coach.




Well he was hospitalized for chest pains... after the bama loss, I thought it was his heart braking, sadly it could be his heart doing something else :~( :~(
C
craigoscarson
BYUROCKS wrote:
Actually, I take him at face value on this one. I read on ESPN that he has a heart condition and they are reporting now that it's something that has been ongoing for years and he finally sees it as serious enough to step down and get healthy again. He will return to Florida in some capacity once he's in better shape, but it won't be as head coach.




Well he was hospitalized for chest pains... after the bama loss, I thought it was his heart braking, sadly it could be his heart doing something else :~( :~(




Again, this could be directly related to exhaustion, dehydration, not eating/not sleeping (people have died from playing computer games for 2 days straight... so this is hardly surprising)



I have yet to hear a medical diagnosis... which is surprising considering who we're talking about.
S
SpiffCoug
I was just telling my wife the other day I feel sorry for Shelly Meyer. Because one day the devil is going to come for Urban's soul that he sold for football glory. I didn't mean any life-threatening issue though. But those symptoms are associated with about every medical problem out there.
Y
Y&Brit
I heard Tebow's mission will be to take over as HC
S
snoscythe
I've been predicting for a while now that Tebow and Meyer end up in Jacksonville next August.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.