Archived Topic

So who now???

by KingCoug · 12/5/2015

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Over on the other board is a poll of the "only 3 realistic candidates" and who fans want.



Sitake - 42.9%



Ken N - 53.1%



Anae - 4.1%



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I say NO WAY! to Sitake. At this point, I have more NO WAY! candidates than YES PLEASE! candidates.



Some of my NO WAY!s:

Kalani Sitake

Robert Anae

Aaron Roderick

Any other coach on the Utah Staff.

Any other coach on the BYU Staff.
A
a1247
I think the only 2 that might be interested and would be considered a homerun would be Ken N. Seatle Seahawks offensive coordinator could be of he can transition from the pro game to college.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Jeff Benedict -



"UVA may have made the smartest hire in college football in choosing @Bronco_BYU And BYU will not find another Bronco. Winter is here."



That comes from a guy who knows Bronco pretty dang well. I have to agree. I think BYU has a very difficult time replacing Mendenhall.
B
BroncoBot
I don't get the excitement for Coach Ken. He hasn't exactly been awesome (this year seems to be an exception, not the rule).



And does anyone really want BYU to become a triple option team??? I guess he doesn't have to run the option, but, would he be as efficient with another offense?
Advertisement
A
a1247
SpiffCoug wrote:
I say NO WAY! to Sitake. At this point, I have more NO WAY! candidates than YES PLEASE! candidates.



Some of my NO WAY!s:

Kalani Sitake

Robert Anae

Aaron Roderick

Any other coach on the Utah Staff.

Any other coach on the BYU Staff.


Don't judge Kalani off of this one bad year. If you do that then you are also saying Gary Anderson isn't a good coach and I couldn't Imagin someone thinking that. For me personally my dream hires would be Ken N. as head coach and Kalani as the D coach. How could any Polynesian recruit pass up the chance to play for 4 Polynesian coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byufan4ever
BroncoBot wrote:
I don't get the excitement for Coach Ken. He hasn't exactly been awesome (this year seems to be an exception, not the rule).



And does anyone really want BYU to become a triple option team??? I guess he doesn't have to run the option, but, would he be as efficient with another offense?


Good question about Coach Ken's offense. I guess it depends who his Off Coordinator is.
S
SpiffCoug
a1247 wrote:
I say NO WAY! to Sitake. At this point, I have more NO WAY! candidates than YES PLEASE! candidates.



Some of my NO WAY!s:

Kalani Sitake

Robert Anae

Aaron Roderick

Any other coach on the Utah Staff.

Any other coach on the BYU Staff.


Don't judge Kalani off of this one bad year. If you do that then you are also saying Gary Anderson isn't a good coach and I couldn't Imagin someone thinking that. For me personally my dream hires would be Ken N. as head coach and Kalani as the D coach. How could any Polynesian recruit pass up the chance to play for 4 Polynesian coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I'm not. I'm not impressed by his resume. I don't think he did much at Utah. That was Whittingham's doing, not Sitake.



I think if BYU hires Sitake, they'll be hiring a new coach before 2020.
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I say NO WAY! to Sitake. At this point, I have more NO WAY! candidates than YES PLEASE! candidates.



Some of my NO WAY!s:

Kalani Sitake

Robert Anae

Aaron Roderick

Any other coach on the Utah Staff.

Any other coach on the BYU Staff.


Don't judge Kalani off of this one bad year. If you do that then you are also saying Gary Anderson isn't a good coach and I couldn't Imagin someone thinking that. For me personally my dream hires would be Ken N. as head coach and Kalani as the D coach. How could any Polynesian recruit pass up the chance to play for 4 Polynesian coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I'm not. I'm not impressed by his resume. I don't think he did much at Utah. That was Whittingham's doing, not Sitake.



I think if BYU hires Sitake, they'll be hiring a new coach before 2020.

I'd take Anae over Sitake.
A
a1247
BroncoBot wrote:
I don't get the excitement for Coach Ken. He hasn't exactly been awesome (this year seems to be an exception, not the rule).



And does anyone really want BYU to become a triple option team??? I guess he doesn't have to run the option, but, would he be as efficient with another offense?

I heard on the radio today that most in the football world believe Ken could and would be really good at running any kind of offense. I don't think he would try and run the same kind of offense at byu. The academies run the option because they have a hard time recruiting top knotch athletes. He wouldn't have the same issues at byu.



I think most want Ken because he has experience as a head coach at a school that has lots of restrictions just like byu. And he's been successfull. He's put Navy football back on the map.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
A
a1247
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I say NO WAY! to Sitake. At this point, I have more NO WAY! candidates than YES PLEASE! candidates.



Some of my NO WAY!s:

Kalani Sitake

Robert Anae

Aaron Roderick

Any other coach on the Utah Staff.

Any other coach on the BYU Staff.


Don't judge Kalani off of this one bad year. If you do that then you are also saying Gary Anderson isn't a good coach and I couldn't Imagin someone thinking that. For me personally my dream hires would be Ken N. as head coach and Kalani as the D coach. How could any Polynesian recruit pass up the chance to play for 4 Polynesian coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I'm not. I'm not impressed by his resume. I don't think he did much at Utah. That was Whittingham's doing, not Sitake.



I think if BYU hires Sitake, they'll be hiring a new coach before 2020.


Your right that was Kwitts defense at utah. But Kalani engulfed himself in it and from everything I've ever heard he knows it inside and out. OSU struggled this year but is it because they don't have the right players needed to run that defense? Or is it because he isn't a good coach? Remember Bronco tried to run the 3-3-5, he realized he couldn't because he didn't have the athletes in the secondary and he adapted like a good coach does. Give Kalani more than 1 year before you make any judgement.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
For the record I don't want Kalani as our next head coach either. I would like to see him as the D coordinator.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
BroncoBot wrote:
I don't get the excitement for Coach Ken. He hasn't exactly been awesome (this year seems to be an exception, not the rule).



And does anyone really want BYU to become a triple option team??? I guess he doesn't have to run the option, but, would he be as efficient with another offense?


Coaches run different schemes at different schools. Ken N. isn't a triple option coach, Navy is just a triple option school. Also, he's gone 10-2 (assuming win vs lowly army), 8-5, 9-4, 8-5 at a service academy (which is pretty awesome in this day and age), so he's used to success with unique recruiting and character/behavior restrictions.
S
Schmoe
a1247 wrote:
a1247 wrote:
I say NO WAY! to Sitake. At this point, I have more NO WAY! candidates than YES PLEASE! candidates.



Some of my NO WAY!s:

Kalani Sitake

Robert Anae

Aaron Roderick

Any other coach on the Utah Staff.

Any other coach on the BYU Staff.


Don't judge Kalani off of this one bad year. If you do that then you are also saying Gary Anderson isn't a good coach and I couldn't Imagin someone thinking that. For me personally my dream hires would be Ken N. as head coach and Kalani as the D coach. How could any Polynesian recruit pass up the chance to play for 4 Polynesian coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I'm not. I'm not impressed by his resume. I don't think he did much at Utah. That was Whittingham's doing, not Sitake.



I think if BYU hires Sitake, they'll be hiring a new coach before 2020.


Your right that was Kwitts defense at utah. But Kalani engulfed himself in it and from everything I've ever heard he knows it inside and out. OSU struggled this year but is it because they don't have the right players needed to run that defense? Or is it because he isn't a good coach? Remember Bronco tried to run the 3-3-5, he realized he couldn't because he didn't have the athletes in the secondary and he adapted like a good coach does. Give Kalani more than 1 year before you make any judgement.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Even running the 3-3-5, Bronco never had a defense that was near as bad as 116 in the nation.
A
a1247
Schmoe wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I say NO WAY! to Sitake. At this point, I have more NO WAY! candidates than YES PLEASE! candidates.



Some of my NO WAY!s:

Kalani Sitake

Robert Anae

Aaron Roderick

Any other coach on the Utah Staff.

Any other coach on the BYU Staff.


Don't judge Kalani off of this one bad year. If you do that then you are also saying Gary Anderson isn't a good coach and I couldn't Imagin someone thinking that. For me personally my dream hires would be Ken N. as head coach and Kalani as the D coach. How could any Polynesian recruit pass up the chance to play for 4 Polynesian coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I'm not. I'm not impressed by his resume. I don't think he did much at Utah. That was Whittingham's doing, not Sitake.



I think if BYU hires Sitake, they'll be hiring a new coach before 2020.


Your right that was Kwitts defense at utah. But Kalani engulfed himself in it and from everything I've ever heard he knows it inside and out. OSU struggled this year but is it because they don't have the right players needed to run that defense? Or is it because he isn't a good coach? Remember Bronco tried to run the 3-3-5, he realized he couldn't because he didn't have the athletes in the secondary and he adapted like a good coach does. Give Kalani more than 1 year before you make any judgement.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Even running the 3-3-5, Bronco never had a defense that was near as bad as 116 in the nation.


Bronco didn't coach in the PAC12. Say what you want but there is a big difference between the talent that Kalani faced this year and the talent Bronco faced in 2005. I agree 116th is bad. Especially since Gary Anderson is a defensive guy too. Makes me think that Riley didn't leave a lot of talent when he left. Or you might be right and Kalani sucks. Only time will tell.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
True. I should also point out that Bronco didn't have "P-5 talent" either, so being in the Pac should even itself out for Kalani.
A
a1247
Schmoe wrote:
True. I should also point out that Bronco didn't have "P-5 talent" either, so being in the Pac should even itself out for Kalani.


Yes, but it's safe to say that BYU had better talent then most of the teams they face where Kalani and OSU might be on the short end of the stick when it comes to talent. Yes it's P5 talent but on the lower end of P5 talent.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SkystheLimit
If Niumatalolo could run a BYU-style program, I'd be in favor of getting him, but I personally think defensive coaches are better head coaches, so I lean toward Lance Anderson, the Defensive Coordinator for Stanford.
A
a1247
I have been reading diffrent comment sections online and there has been several who "claim" to "be in the know" who are saying that BYU has already contacted Ken Niumatalolo and they are in negotiations. I know I know this is all online nonsense but right now it's all there is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Here are my thoughts:



1) Tom Holmoe already has a short list. Bronco put his resume out to at least three openings last year, and TH knew about it. He's been quietly evaluating options from afar for nearly a year now. I put this in the category of things I know.



2) Tom Holmoe and BYU knew about this from Bronco before the Las Vegas Bowl announcement was made, and in fact it is part of the reason the LV Bowl was announced prior to Bowl Selection Sunday. I put this in the category of things I strongly suspect.



3) Tom Holmoe prefers to promote people to head coach positions rather than making outside hires. It's one thing to know about and understand the unique requirements and expectations that come with being a head coach at BYU. It's something else entirely to understand how those things affect how the programs can be and are run. With the football team being the most prominent of the programs, the room for failure on that front is exceedingly small. However, TH will make an outside hire if the fit is compelling. I put this in the category of things I know.



4) Any hire has to pass muster with the First Presidency of the Church and have a sit down with one of them prior to being hired. This is something we all know. I strongly suspect that Bronco raised the bar for what the BoT/First Presidency expects from a football coach--a standard bearer first and foremost.



With all that, here is how I view the field:



Most realistic choices:

1) Ken N. -- I think this was TH's very first call. He checks off every single box, and the Church has already put him out there as a standard-bearer. The biggest question here is what salary he would require--he already makes more than BYU paid Bronco. His son is already on the team here in Provo.



2) Dr. Anae -- The quintessential inside promotion. He would take it if offered, and I believe he has the football resume. The concerns are his abrasive manner with the media, ability to run the entire football organizations, and his hot/cold relationship with players--it's okay to do that as an OC, but a HC has to be open and approachable to everyone at all times.



3) Lance Reynolds -- He's out there and for a time was the heir apparent. If this is the guy, I think the long-game is to develop a better in-house promotions opportunity for five or so years down the road.



Outside chance choices:



4) Brandon Doman -- Was heir apparent after Reynolds.



5) Paul Tidwell -- like a friendlier Bronco. He's actually my darkhorse choice at this point.



6) Darell Bevell -- he would have to want the job and absolutely nail the interview process. This may be the right time to pick up a Seahawks coach while they are down.



longshot choices:

7) Andy Reid -- The albatross here is 2-years, $15MM left on his contract with the Chiefs. Head coaches are protected by buyout provisions. Who buys that out?



8 ) Kyle Whittingham -- Again, who buys him out (3 years, $8MM remanining)? I think he also has little, if any desire to come back to BYU, and he has unfinished business at Utah after cracking the top-4 this season, only to plummet nearly out of the rankings late in the season.



9) Lance Anderson -- he would have to want the job and absolutely nail the interview process. His resume is a bit thin for an outside hire to HC--he's only been a coordinator for two seasons now, but that keeps him in price range.



10) Ty Detmer -- pipe dream. May as well put Chad Lewis in and avoid paying to relocate someone.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.