Archived Topic

The Utah game

by BlueK · 11/24/2015

Advertisement
B
BlueK
Is anyone a little less worried about this game after Utah getting pounded 90-66 to Miami the other night? Sure, Miami is a pretty good team, but should any legit top 20 team ever lose like that to anyone? Miami is good, but they're still not Duke or N. Carolina. If you do follow the stat gurus like Pomeroy, it's pretty clear so far that defensively Utah isn't in the same league with their teams of the last couple of years. Their offense has been ok, but their defense has been terrible, even allowing S. Utah to shoot over 50% against them.



BYU so far has held every opponent down to a bad shooting percentage. You can certainly argue that it has come against weaker opposition, but the point is that Utah is allowing all their opponents, weak or not, to shoot the ball well so far. Because of how both teams have changed for this year I think we have a much better shot at winning this game than some may have thought going into the season.
G
Guest
I expect a loss to Utah until proven otherwise.
B
BlueK
Yeah, I get why fans can be cautious. But the numbers so far seem to show some major chinks in the Ute armor that weren't there last year. Utah fans should be worried about their defense right now. It's been their strength the last couple of years, but every team so far has played well offensively against them, including a S. Utah team that is basically the same as UVU.
I
IowaCougar
I expect a win in every game until proven otherwise! 8)
B
BYULV
hawkwing wrote:
I expect a loss to Utah until proven otherwise.




Football, yes

Basketball, no.
Advertisement
T
TheDean
BlueK wrote:
Is anyone a little less worried about this game after Utah getting pounded 90-66 to Miami the other night? Sure, Miami is a pretty good team, but should any legit top 20 team ever lose like that to anyone? Miami is good, but they're still not Duke or N. Carolina. If you do follow the stat gurus like Pomeroy, it's pretty clear so far that defensively Utah isn't in the same league with their teams of the last couple of years. Their offense has been ok, but their defense has been terrible, even allowing S. Utah to shoot over 50% against them.



BYU so far has held every opponent down to a bad shooting percentage. You can certainly argue that it has come against weaker opposition, but the point is that Utah is allowing all their opponents, weak or not, to shoot the ball well so far. Because of how both teams have changed for this year I think we have a much better shot at winning this game than some may have thought going into the season.


Utah lost their starting PG from last year to the NBA and their defensive Center they had for the last 3 years to graduation. Which is why their defense isn't as good as the last 2 years. Utah will win very few Pac12 game this year.



I'm not worried at all about the Utah game as long as BYU desides to show up and play something they didn't do 2 years ago and it showed by get pasted by 20+ or taking them and the Pac 12 refs to lightly like last year.
G
Guest
I'd be worried if I were you. I'd be worried if Utah was the 349th ranked team in the country.
B
BlueK
It's normal for fans to be nervous unless the team they cheer for is flawless or is playing a really bad team. The thing is, Utah this year has plenty of flaws compared to last year. They're ok, but far from great. And they're beatable. They're still getting a pass so far from the experts because of last year. The fact is, their defense has been pretty bad compared to what they've been like the last couple of years. Their own fans are already complaining about it.



It's really tough to win on the road in college basketball, but I think BYU has a decent chance here if the players remember how they played against Belmont and do the same things on offense. They just needed to find their identity on offense and I think they did in the last game. The talent is there. Collinsworth just needed to get used to playing with a different set of players with different size and skill sets from last year. Defensively BYU is actually much improved from last year. They don't have to be a defensive juggernaut this year if the offense is flowing. They just have to be better than last year, and that appears to be the case so far. I think there's a good chance a lot of people are going to be surprised after Wednesday night.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
I'd be worried if I were you. I'd be worried if Utah was the 349th ranked team in the country.


Hawk, Clearly, you are not an equal opportunity malingerer. Your exaggerated if not conjured up skepticism about Bball/Rose is more about bringing balance to the BYU force of football/Bronco doubters than it is objective assessment of the hoops team. I can't actually believe that you suffer from the level of concern for hoops as you have displayed. This malingering exceeds any ambivalence for BYU hoops that you would seem to otherwise have.
K
kjjson
I just wish I had a way to watch the game.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Utah favored by 7.5 points.
M
Mars


Is anyone going to be there in person?
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:


Utah favored by 7.5 points.

Sounds about right.
B
BroncoBot
This has the potential to be a snoozer by half 2. Utah doing whatever they want on offense. Getting into the lane with ease, Poeltl is overpowering Kaufusi.



Could get ugly. BYU missing shots, Utah defending the perimeter no problem. Live by the 3 philosophy may kill the cougars tonight. Hard to come out and pound inside against a good post utah team when you can't even do it against exhibition teams.
B
BroncoBot
BYU looking SLOW on defense.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Aytes down. This might be too much for BYU already. Utah came out much more physical and ready to play basketball. BYU looks about like they did in 2013. Unbelievable how much better utah looks right now.



BYU = churchball

Utah = D1 power5 team.
B
BroncoBot
BYU post play - throw up a prayer, hope for a foul

UTAH post play - NBAesque
B
BroncoBot
Ogbe has one move, and it's to his right. Make him go left. please
B
BroncoBot
How much longer till we hear "career game" for poeltl?
B
BroncoBot
If I'm a big, I choose Utah over BYU based on player development.



Why does Nate Austin play like a 2?

Kaufusi may be the best big BYU has had since Araujo, and most of his skill is raw physical gifts.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.