Archived Topic

Arizona

by Mars · 12/26/2009

Advertisement
M
Mars


Realtimerpi has Arizona (RPI 68) beating us 79-78. http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_305_Men.html



We play them on the road in Tucson Monday Dec. 28th, last game of the old year. Hopefully our boys can get their mind off of their warm Christmas vacations and back to the grindstone quickly.
S
scott715
Last non-conference game (note we do play UTEP after the conference begins). UNLV is up next who was getting spanked by USC last night. This is our chance to get ranked with a nice win.
S
SpiffCoug
Arizona will help in a ranking if no other reason than their name recognition. They can be down, but still considered a good win because of their name.
C
craigoscarson
It's been a long time since we went to that state and came home with a solid win.



The Pac 10 refs down there have just killed us in the past.



Eugene Edgerson tomahawking our players in the past (that team had 4 NBA players on it and we outplayed them)

and of course Abouos shot with time left that should have won it for us last year vs ASU.



The Wildcats are talented, so we better play a very good game if we expect to walk out of there with a W.
S
Schmoe
Not only Abuou's shot last year, but also the fact that their guard (WTF was his name?) would throw his arm into our players when driving and we'd get called for the foul every single time, it was pure crap!
Advertisement
N
nogbody
okay, so I'm excited for this game... I'm confused by the broadcast options though.. It says it's on FCS (Fox college Sports). I have directv and it says FCS is on 617 and 623, according to the wikipedia page, but I don't see directv mention they carry it anywhere, have you guys have any insight?
C
craigoscarson
Schmoe wrote:
Not only Abuou's shot last year, but also the fact that their guard (WTF was his name?) would throw his arm into our players when driving and we'd get called for the foul every single time, it was pure crap!


Yep James Harden got the star treatment to be sure.
S
SpiffCoug
I think if you get Fox Sports you should be ok. I see it on Fox Sports Arizona (689). So I think if you can watch the Jazz on 684 you should be ok to watch 689.
S
scott715
That website now has us as one point favorites against Arizonia. It should be a good game.
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Any chance there'll be a website putting the game up? Would normally get it at home, but I'm on the other side of the country for a wedding (luckily not on the same night as the game), but the hotel decidedly DOESN'T carry Fox Sports...
Advertisement
Q
Qman
If we want to win in the NCAA's we need to blow Arizona out. They are not a good team.
M
Mars
Qman wrote:
If we want to win in the NCAA's we need to blow Arizona out. They are not a good team.

That's what Utah said in the 1st round last year...
G
GolfDiveNCougs
kitic77 wrote:
http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=13220



"The game will be televised live on Fox College Sports and online at CBS College Sports All-Access. "

Okay, so I've gone onto the CBS College Sports All-Access site. I can't be sure, but I don't think the site is working correctly. It pulls up a list of past events (looks like news conferences, etc), but when I search under upcoming events, it shows nothing. Hmm. I'm wondering if the site doesn't even show you what's upcoming unless you've paid some sort of subscription. Dunno. Is there anyone who's used it who knows how it works?
Q
Qman
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=teamreports-2009-ncaab-aaq&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report


STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL



Season Recap: In a nutshell, the Wildcats have beaten the poor teams, lost to the good ones. They were 6-5 entering their Dec. 28 matchup with BYU, but didn’t have a marquee victory until beating North Carolina State 76-74 two days before Christmas. Things didn’t go their way against Wisconsin, Vanderbilt, UNLV, Oklahoma and San Diego State.





Player Rotation: Usual Starters—F Derrick Williams, F Jamelle Horne, F Solomon Hill, PG Nic Wise, G Kyle Fogg. Key Subs—G Lamont Jones, C Kyryl Natyazhko, G Brandon Lavender, C Alex Jacobson, F Kevin Parrom



Roster Report:





• Senior PG Nic Wise was shooting 48-for-50 from the free throw line until missing two of eight tries against North Carolina State. He entered the post-game interview room after the game wearing a boot on his right foot, although he didn’t say what was wrong with it, only admitting “I have something wrong with my foot.” It hasn’t kept him from any playing time, yet.





• Freshman F Solomon Hill averaged 12.0 points through Arizona’s first five games, then just 6.3 points over the next six.





• Sophomore G Kyle Fogg entered the Dec. 28 game vs. BYU leading the Pac-10 in 3-point accuracy at 61.5 percent, on 16-for-26 shooting.


I really, really think we should be able to attack Arizona inside and outside with ease.
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
Going to the game tonight. BYU SHOULD win this one. Arizona makes more turnovers than a pastry chef. I'm not sure that Arizona will be able to close out on all the shooters that BYU has.



However, I think BYU will have a similar problem. Horne, Lavender (Who is LDS. Yes, they guy with the long hair and tats is LDS), Wise, and Fogg can all shoot and I haven't been that impressed with BYU's perimeter D besides Emery.



Williams is a beast. He is the best post player in this game by far.



Ultimately, BYU will make less mistakes than Arizona. Being on the road will make the game closer than it should. BYU by 6.
C
craigoscarson
mormonrasta wrote:
Going to the game tonight. BYU SHOULD win this one. Arizona makes more turnovers than a pastry chef. I'm not sure that Arizona will be able to close out on all the shooters that BYU has.



However, I think BYU will have a similar problem. Horne, Lavender (Who is LDS. Yes, they guy with the long hair and tats is LDS), Wise, and Fogg can all shoot and I haven't been that impressed with BYU's perimeter D besides Emery.



Williams is a beast. He is the best post player in this game by far.



Ultimately, BYU will make less mistakes than Arizona. Being on the road will make the game closer than it should. BYU by 6.


I'll take that. A W is all I need.



We did not crack the AP top 25 today, so hopefully we aren't on the Wildcats radar for their best game of the season. I coudl see this game going either way.





BTW - Scot Pollard of Kansas was LDS too, but BYU would have been the worst fit on earth for him. Well, I take that back Jim McMahon had a pretty good BYU career.
S
Schmoe
craigoscarson wrote:



BTW - Scot Pollard of Kansas was LDS too, but BYU would have been the worst fit on earth for him. Well, I take that back Jim McMahon had a pretty good BYU career.


There's the key word. This guy has pretty much been an anti since high school.
M
mormonrasta
craigoscarson wrote:
Going to the game tonight. BYU SHOULD win this one. Arizona makes more turnovers than a pastry chef. I'm not sure that Arizona will be able to close out on all the shooters that BYU has.



However, I think BYU will have a similar problem. Horne, Lavender (Who is LDS. Yes, they guy with the long hair and tats is LDS), Wise, and Fogg can all shoot and I haven't been that impressed with BYU's perimeter D besides Emery.



Williams is a beast. He is the best post player in this game by far.



Ultimately, BYU will make less mistakes than Arizona. Being on the road will make the game closer than it should. BYU by 6.


I'll take that. A W is all I need.



We did not crack the AP top 25 today, so hopefully we aren't on the Wildcats radar for their best game of the season. I coudl see this game going either way.





BTW - Scot Pollard of Kansas was LDS too, but BYU would have been the worst fit on earth for him. Well, I take that back Jim McMahon had a pretty good BYU career.


Don't get me wrong, he's no Scott Pollard. Lavender IS LDS. His cousin told me he regularly goes to church. His looks don't fit the mold that is all. He was recruited by BYU and he seriously considered going there.
M
montanafan
Game will be on 617 on direct tv.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.