Archived Topic

LBST Game review

by Qman · 11/18/2015

Advertisement
Q
Qman
Yes I wanted a rant-less place to discuss the game and I finally had time to watch the DVR.



Overall our seniors looked lost and our inexperienced players made mistakes. Personally I blame the seniors.



First the positives:



Kaufusi showed some improvement over last year in the post and made some of his free throws. His size and shot blocking made a real impact.



Aytes came in and was athletic enough to slip around their attempts to draw charges and scored some big baskets.



Chatman came in and was able to match some of their athletic ability. He also made a few 3's.



Emery's ball-handling skill almost got him some layups. I was okay with some of his shots but he was just missing everything.



And that is about it.



KC was forcing the action by driving into crowds to earn charge calls. He took no jumpers that I recall. Eventually we started to post him and got some positive results.



Fischer continued to have better shot selection but too bad he was being destroyed by the D. Honestly I think we have better options when you consider his sub par D. Emery or Chatman are better players.



Davis did some good things when he wasn't turning the ball over. Too bad he turned in over 6 times 24 minutes of play.



Toolson looked like a scared squirrel when he had the ball on offense. And defensively he almost was getting into position. Maybe he is just too slow or timid.



Austin was his normal self on O--- that is a non-entity. On D it was striking how much better Kaufusi was at protecting the paint.



Based on tonight I would start Emery-Chatman-KC-Aytes-Kaufusi. That would allow us to play man D and have our best overall offensive team.



BTW why don't our big guys get stronger lower bodies over time? We were getting pushed around a lot.
B
byufan4ever
Here is how our players performed in the LBST game:


LBSU.PNG

And here's their PER average through two games:


BYU Summary 2015-11-18.PNG

Kaufusi was the only player to bring his game. No one else even got a decent game rating. Even the subs with few minutes did not achieve a good PER/Min (about 0.5/min).



The stats show that Aytes was not that much better than Davis. Yes, he played less minutes, but he does not bring as much defense. Davis had a monster first game so I wouldn't throw him out of the line-up yet. But Ayetes should be getting Austin's minutes. The guy is so afraid to shoot on offense is pathetic.



I guess Fischer is back to his every other game form? I still would like to see Calvert and Shaw get more minutes. I'm fine with keeping the starting line-up as is for now, but Fischer and Toolson need to get pulled quickly if they're not playing well. I think you have to keep playing Emery for his development, but Chatman and Calvert also deserve minutes. And Aytes as the first big man off the bench.
B
BlueK
Qman wrote:
Yes I wanted a rant-less place to discuss the game and I finally had time to watch the DVR.



Overall our seniors looked lost and our inexperienced players made mistakes. Personally I blame the seniors.



First the positives:



Kaufusi showed some improvement over last year in the post and made some of his free throws. His size and shot blocking made a real impact.



Aytes came in and was athletic enough to slip around their attempts to draw charges and scored some big baskets.



Chatman came in and was able to match some of their athletic ability. He also made a few 3's.



Emery's ball-handling skill almost got him some layups. I was okay with some of his shots but he was just missing everything.



And that is about it.



KC was forcing the action by driving into crowds to earn charge calls. He took no jumpers that I recall. Eventually we started to post him and got some positive results.



Fischer continued to have better shot selection but too bad he was being destroyed by the D. Honestly I think we have better options when you consider his sub par D. Emery or Chatman are better players.



Davis did some good things when he wasn't turning the ball over. Too bad he turned in over 6 times 24 minutes of play.



Toolson looked like a scared squirrel when he had the ball on offense. And defensively he almost was getting into position. Maybe he is just too slow or timid.



Austin was his normal self on O--- that is a non-entity. On D it was striking how much better Kaufusi was at protecting the paint.



Based on tonight I would start Emery-Chatman-KC-Aytes-Kaufusi. That would allow us to play man D and have our best overall offensive team.



BTW why don't our big guys get stronger lower bodies over time? We were getting pushed around a lot.


How many of Davis' 6 turnovers were pretty questionable offensive foul calls? I can think of a couple. The refs were kind of ridiculous for a while in how badly they were looking to call those. Offensive fouls count as TO's on the stat sheet. He didn't have his best game and he made some bad passes because he got up in the frantic pace the guards were trying to play. He'll excel in a less crazy paced game when he has time to pick his spot by the basket.
G
Guest
Interesting stats, I love seeing the PERs, it really puts things in perspective.
B
BlueK
Long Beach State just beat a Big East team(Seton Hall) last night in a tournament. Seton Hall was expected to probably be an NIT type team. Not great, but the computer rankings like Sagarin have them in the top 100 (78 I think on Sagarin) with LBSU currently just outside of the top 100. Now they add Virginia tonight to their already ridiculously hard schedule. We shouldn't have lost, but LBS is at least an ok team. The way the rpi works with SOS being the main driver of it, they'll probably end up having a decent one and not look like a "bad" loss the way the selection committee defines it. That said, BYU just needs to win.



I also saw Utah last night. In some aspects they looked good. But you also have to keep in mind that Texas Tech was picked for last in the Big 12. They're not supposed to be good at all. And it was a fairly competitive game for most of it. I still think we can beat the utes.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.