Archived Topic

Seeing the ROC Makes Me Sooooo Sad

by urroner · 11/14/2015

Advertisement
U
urroner
I attended BYU from '75 though '79...and that's not 75AD through 79AD, though my kids believe that. I was in the Incomparable BYU Cougar Marching Band and we played at the football games and basketball games. It was a blast.



I was soooo good, I won the "Horse's Ass" award for making the worst and most glaring mistake while marching at half time and I did it on national TV.



Any who, while the band was always fun and we cheered and yelled the whole time, winning or losing, the students in football games were typically louder and cheered quite often, hey, we had Gifford Nielsen, Marc Wilson, and Jim McMahon during those years, I don't know to describe them during b-ball games. Dare I say "sacrament meeting."



During those years, we had Danny Ainge, Fred Roberts, Steven Craig, Keith Rice (one of the first black b-ball player at the Y.), Devin Durrant, and Danny Frazier (I think he was the first black b-ball player at the Y and one of the first black missionaries.).



For some reason, it was either feast or dead famine for student cheering at the basketball games, but it was just all cheering: stand up, sit down, fight, fight, fight, fall asleep.



Watching the game last night, love you BYUtv, and seeing the ROC, made me sad. Why couldn't we have had that at the Y when I was attending? I love their antics and I love their attitude.



Man, if the ROC was around when I was there, between them and the Incomparable BYU Cougar Marching Band, the MAC would have been a deafening place.



On thing though, President Oaks, in a talk to the students, and I think he was one of the bestest presidents of BYU everest; a personal encounter with him and the blue denim pants tragedy are some of my best memories at the Y, told them to stop booing the refs on bad calls. He said if the refs made a bad call, to just sit still, to fold the arms, and to say nothing, to pretend we're in church. He did say that we could scream and yell all we wanted when the other team was attempting a free throw, but to play "sacrament time" when it's one of our players.



The next game was awesome. The refs made a couple of bad calls and the student section, including the band, went really quiet. The refs had no idea what was happening. They looked at the student section, then at each other, and laugh.



When the opposing team went to make a free throw, the people, including non-students, just went crazy, screaming, yelling, and waving things all around. I remember seeing Danny Ainge get this huge grin on his face.



Then when BYU went to make free throws, the first couple of times, it was just the students who played sacrament, but by the second quarter, they played quarters back then, most of the BYU fans in the MAC were doing it also. The place was quiet. Again the players just got a huge grin on their faces. It was hilarious. The shooter would make a basket, the dead quiet students would go crazy, then, when the shooter had the ball, it was sacrament meeting time. That was funny.



The next game, IIRC, President Oaks commented earlier that if we want to disrupt the opponents' free throws, to do the sacrament meeting thingie again, and we did. The first couple of times, it really surprised the opponents when we all sat quietly, with our arms folded, while they were shooting. If they made it, some of the students would yell, "Cougars, smite thy brethren mightily for such mockery." If they missed, the whole section would go wild, then it was sacrament time again if there was a second shot.



BTW, the IBCMB had a few cheers that we loved to yell.

"Alovevo, alovivo, alovevovivovum

Run get a rat trap, run get a cat trap, run get a rat trap bigger than a cat trap.

Rat trap, cat trap, siss boom vah

Cougars, cougars, rah, rah, rah."



This one was kind of frowned upon by certain groups, so we didn't say it very often..

"Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit

BYU, you are it."



And for the brainy types in the IBCMB

"Secant, tangent, cosine, sine

three point one four one five nine

GOOOOOOOO Cougars."
G
Gunk
I like the sacrament thin. That would be awesome and throw the other team for a loop.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KYCoug
I was there during those years as well. Lots of fun. I was in a club called Sigma Epsilon which stood for Spirit and Enthusiasm. We wore white hats and made lots of noise and had lots of crazy cheers. But there was no student section for basketball like today. I remember the no boo's and the subsequent "I'm Appalled" cheers. We and the band were the only ones making major noise. It used to really frustrate me being from back east to see all the fans just sit there like they were in Sacrament meeting or something! :sick:



Ex Perry own dome bobo down the deep en dale, Lari fari shuri fari zip boom ba. BYU Ra Ra Ra! Gooooooo Cougars!!!!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
B
BoiseBYU
[quote="KYCoug"]



Ex Perry own dome bobo down the deep en dale, Lari fari shuri fari zip boom ba. BYU Ra Ra Ra! Gooooooo/quote]



I think this is my first experience with someone speaking in tongues..... ;)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.