Archived Topic

UVU Thoughts

by Gunk · 11/14/2015

Advertisement
G
Gunk
Okay, this was the first game of season I've been able to watch. Here's what I noticed, the good, the bad and the between:



1) We have a post presence! Davis actually backed some players down (yes, I know it was UVU) and had some double moves under the hoop. When was the last time we saw that? The rebounding was awesome as were the blocks. Very exciting to see him play. Don't let him pass, though.

2) Team played really sloppy, especially the 1st 10 min. If this had been last years' team it would have easily been 100 - 54, BYU.

3) KC was out of control. I think he's trying too much to be "the guy" and it's hurting his game. He continually drove straight into traffic with no game plan or options. Passing and dribbling was bad. Nice to see him attempting some jump shots, but you can tell he's making it a point of emphasis.

4) Fischer was out of control. Guy also consistently dribbled into traffic. If you hated watching Carlino dribble into traffic with nothing doing, you're going to hate Fischer's version.

5) Emery looked good. Bit out of control, but I'll cut him some slack.

6) It's good we have Nate Austin. Solid senior that knows his role. We're going to need him this year.

7) Kaufusi looks to have improved his free throw shooting. That's about it, though.

8 ) Overall, I think we're going to see KC's limitations as a PG be exposed this year as he tries to be a scoring machine and boost his draft prospects. The last few years he did well at the position because Haws was there to pass to (easy assist) and shoulder the shooting. KC can't fill the void of Haws and be an effective PG at the same time.

9) Team is having a bit of an identity crisis. Need to set the offense up with Davis in the post. Feed that beast. I get the sense the team doesn't know what to do with a big man that actually knows how to post up.

10) Defense looked solid. Very aggressive and the post defense was nice.

11) The uniforms were slick.

12) No comments on the officiating, which I suppose means it was good.
N
nuk13
I've only watched 11 minutes of the game this morning. It looks like Davis and 4 jv guys playing. He owned the boards and seemed to be all over the floor. I love Utah State for letting us have Davis. I don't know about the clapping for the ball but one 3 pt. shooter would call for fowls. I say forget that and play basketball. More later when I can watch more.
B
Brayden Green
Our defense looks so much better. We played man almost the entire time. This was still a "feeling everyone out" game. I was dissapointed to see Calvert buried at the end of the bench. In my opinion he should be one of the first coming off the bench, right behind Emery. I would like to see KColl play less guard and post his smaller guy more. We should take advantage of mismatches. Our post is very very strong tonight. I liked watching the hustle, and BYU pushed the ball almost all night. We certainly have the horses for it. I would like to be a fly in the Marriot, watching the #2's play the #1's. I bet they give them a run for their money every practice. This is going to be a good year once they shake up their personnel issues.
B
BroncoBot
Agree almost entirely with the OP.



Wish we had chatman running the point more often (or Emery). Chatman seems to play with a chip on his shoulder and he got great court vision based on the handful of times he's had minutes. Agree that KC would be better off playing small forward and banging in the post similar to what we saw KD do last night. Would be great to have him closer to the basket more often. Although, he has proven he is effective at driving and moving without the ball after he goes through the motion of bringing the ball up the court.



Sooooooo great to finally have a guy who knows how to handle himself in the paint. KD will be a game changer for BYU this year.
N
nuk13
B'green, wasn't it you that clued me in on BYUtv? Thanks again.



As the game went on Davis kept up his excellent play. He even had some good passes. I also agree he'll be a game changer. I will not be surprised to see more rebounding records fall to him. It's a pleasure to see someone who wants to play the whole game rather than crossing the mid stripe and call/clap for the ball.



I was pleased to see Fisher drive for scores and actually pass the ball off to someone else. He'll get his 3 s but the more he plays the whole game the better this team will be.



KC cluncked most of his outside shots but made good drives and rebounded well. I think he and the team are better off when he plays the inside game. Get him that 7th triple double then play him more inside. Emery, Chatman, and Ainge can all play point.



Speaking of Chatman, he did a lot with the few minutes he had. He passed, (see the above paragraph), moved and shot well.



Nate Austin quietly had a good game.



Shaw was one of the best players against Alaska so I don't know why he didn't get more minutes. I'd also like to have seen more of Calvert.



Lastly (whoever ly is he's always last), thanks Cougar Corner for letting us make these comments no matter how expert or otherwise we are.
Advertisement
Q
Qman
Just few quick thoughts:



Davis showed a level of skill, rebounding and offensive aggression we haven't seen for years. I wonder if he will be able to do it against legit size.



KC still looked rusty. He might have hit one jumper.



Fischer looked like himself from last year. I think the level of competition made him look better.



Offense seems to be post Davis, post KC or run Fischer off picks.



Toolson disappears without the ball. Maybe he needs to be a offensive focus when KC is sitting.



Our D was sloppy.



Kaufusi free throws look somewhat better.



It was interesting that Seljass was the first man off the bench in both halfs. I noticed less defensive mistakes but UVU didn't have the guards to attack him either.
G
Guest
My first thought was that it took an awful long time for either team to score. What should have been a 40-2 game in the first 15 minutes was a 10-2 game.



UVU is an incredibly bad team, worse, possibly than the 2 exhibition teams we played.



BYU missed out an a chance to get KC a triple double. I thought they should have pushed for it.



To my eye, BYU has 2 very good players Kyle Collinsworth and Kyle Davis will be great. No one else on the team is particularly great at this point in their careers. I expect BYU to be a somewhat frustrating team this year where some games you'll see flashes of future brilliance and others you'll see inexplicable mistakes and failures.
B
BlueK
Gunk wrote:
Okay, this was the first game of season I've been able to watch. Here's what I noticed, the good, the bad and the between:





2) Team played really sloppy, especially the 1st 10 min. If this had been last years' team it would have easily been 100 - 54, BYU.


Actually, I think the defense was much better. The score of this game with last year's team would have been more like 110-80.
B
BlueK
hawkwing wrote:
My first thought was that it took an awful long time for either team to score. What should have been a 40-2 game in the first 15 minutes was a 10-2 game.



UVU is an incredibly bad team, worse, possibly than the 2 exhibition teams we played.



BYU missed out an a chance to get KC a triple double. I thought they should have pushed for it.



To my eye, BYU has 2 very good players Kyle Collinsworth and Kyle Davis will be great. No one else on the team is particularly great at this point in their careers. I expect BYU to be a somewhat frustrating team this year where some games you'll see flashes of future brilliance and others you'll see inexplicable mistakes and failures.


It could be worse. We could be Utah who had a lot of trouble with SUU who is about the same as UVU. And if UVU is really worse than the exhibtion teams we played, well, we did beat them by 31 points, so there's that. We held them to 54 and I thought the team defense looked much better than what we saw from BYU last year.
B
byufan4ever
Here are my PER for the UVU game:


UVU.PNG

I actually thought Fischer played quite well and showed more patience than I've ever seen from him. I think he probably set a lifetime individual all-time high of actually passing the rock to a teammate. He also scored in the paint and hit some mid range jumpers so hopefully he's starting to show that he's more than just a 3 point threat who chucks it up with no regard to teammates.



Davis was a beast and he will probably cost Collinsworth a triple double or two. I wonder how Davis will do against better bigs, but how many teams with decent bigs will we face this year? Gonzaga and who else? Davis should have a field day in the WCC. Collinsworth was trying to prove that he has a jump shot, but he just doesn't. The commentators said that Rose had said that he wants KC to be leading scorer so perhaps all of those forced shots were Rose's fault?



I also am disappointed that Calvert and Shaw did not get more minutes. I thought that they had earned them during the exhibition games. Also, I was disappointed that Toolson only played 16 minutes and only had 2 FGAs. When he did get the ball it seemed like he was trying to post up rather than drive or spot up shoot.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
byufan4ever wrote:
Also, I was disappointed that Toolson only played 16 minutes and only had 2 FGAs. When he did get the ball it seemed like he was trying to post up rather than drive or spot up shoot.

I'm fine with anyone developing a post game, Toolson in exhibition games was also posting people up. BYU has plenty of guys who are willing and capable (on any given night) of hitting the 3. If toolson wants to become a capable small forward instead of another "chucker", I'm behind it 100%.
N
nuk13
byufan4ever wrote:
Here are my PER for the UVU game:


UVU.PNG

I actually thought Fischer played quite well and showed more patience than I've ever seen from him. I think he probably set a lifetime individual all-time high of actually passing the rock to a teammate. He also scored in the paint and hit some mid range jumpers so hopefully he's starting to show that he's more than just a 3 point threat who chucks it up with no regard to teammates.



Davis was a beast and he will probably cost Collinsworth a triple double or two. I wonder how Davis will do against better bigs, but how many teams with decent bigs will we face this year? Gonzaga and who else? Davis should have a field day in the WCC. Collinsworth was trying to prove that he has a jump shot, but he just doesn't. The commentators said that Rose had said that he wants KC to be leading scorer so perhaps all of those forced shots were Rose's fault?



I also am disappointed that Calvert and Shaw did not get more minutes. I thought that they had earned them during the exhibition games. Also, I was disappointed that Toolson only played 16 minutes and only had 2 FGAs. When he did get the ball it seemed like he was trying to post up rather than drive or spot up shoot.


Thanks again for posting this. Can you explain how KC had a higher score than Davis. I like Austin's game but how did he get 4th with only rebounds? I agree on Fisher. The team will be better if he continues to play like this. I also hope Davis can keep this up against bigger and better opponents. Congratulations to him for nabbing WCC player of the week honors. I hope he gets more of them.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.