Archived Topic

Ewets get TE from Pleasant Grove

by Iceman · 12/24/2009

Advertisement
I
Iceman
Talking about the future for the ewets, reporter Lya Wrosdoska (of the SL Trib of Ill Repute):

http://blogs.sltrib.com/utes/index.php?p=8152&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1



"The :utard: Utes got some good news from back home Wednesday too as apparently Pleasant Grove defensive end/tight end Sefa Tanoai (6-4, 265) committed to the :utard: . I haven't spoken to him yet, but word has it he chose the Utes over BYU and Utah State.



That could be some good news for the Utes who lost several recruits this week to other schools.



Offensive lineman Jamil Douglas switched his commitment to Arizona State, athlete Darian Lazard is headed to Houston and quarterback Jacoby Walker who first de-committed from Kansas to commit with the Utes, has switched his allegiance to Arkansas.



Tanoai is the only Utah player out of high school the Utes have for their 2010 class so far. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only recruit they have landed this year from Utah? :lol: I don't think :utard: future is all that rosy!
M
Mithrandir
It's my understanding that this kid is a longshot to qualify. I'd be really suprised if he doesn't end up going the JC route.
S
scott715
If I am not mistaken, Bronco told him that he could have a scholarship if he got his grades up. Then we got all of these amazing committments. Good player but acadmics is a question mark. I had assumed that Bronco was holding a spot for him.
C
craigoscarson
I have to wonder if some of these PG players are D1 tweeners. I realize Lloyd was hurt but Lone Peak completely decimated them this year.



Utah offered and got a commitment from a kid that wont' qualify, but on paper it looks like a victory in the state, and they need all the press they can get.



We don't need a tweener that won't qualify, we need juco dbs that can play backup next season and start in 2011. Where's the next Brian Logan and Andrew Rich?
S
Schmoe
I don't think it's fair to look at one bad game from a team without their qb and determine players' individual value. Pleasant Grove was undefeated before Lloyd went down, and this is in high school where the highs and lows are even greater than college.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Schmoe wrote:
I don't think it's fair to look at one bad game from a team without their qb and determine players' individual value. Pleasant Grove was undefeated before Lloyd went down, and this is in high school where the highs and lows are even greater than college.


Teams with 6-7 D1 players don't have lows... they win state championships. Ask Timpview or Bingham.
S
Schmoe
Ummm...Timpview lost to PG.
I
Iceman
I believe Tanoai will be going the JC route. Which, just underscores the whole point of my post in the first place. This writer says there is a bright future ahead for :utard: - OK, maybe that will be because they will be under BYU's lime lights! KWhitless (may have) landed only one Utah high school recruit from the 2010 class, and he may not qualify. Does not sound like they are keeping up to me.



I'm liking this picture. :evil:
C
craigoscarson
Schmoe wrote:
Ummm...Timpview lost to PG.


Timpview is also not as big a school as PG and Kaufusi was already out I believe/not sure. (plus aside from Kaufusi, all the rest of the players at Timpview this year are underclassmen or tweeners like Badger (too slow to play safety, too small to play linebacker)



I guess I think the amount of D1 athletes that PG boasts is suspect to me. Lone Peak didn't just beat them, they throttled them.



Granted, my dad and his 8 siblings all went to pg; several of my cousins went there and my grandparents lived on battle creek canyon road literally 20 feet away (across the street) from pg. I expected more from that team considering they supposedly had 7 legit D1 players on the team.
C
craigoscarson
Iceman wrote:
I believe Tanoia will be going the JC route. Which, just underscores the whole pint of my post in the first place. This writer says there is a bright future ahead for he ewets- OK, maybe that will be because they will be under BYU's lime lights! KWhitless (may have) landed only one Utah high school recruit from the 2010 class, and he may not qualify. Does not sound like they are keeping up to me.



I'm liking this picture. :evil:




Tanoi is Utahs feeble attempt to make it look like they got a top Utah player; when most know he's not a qualifier. They'll call it a recruiting victory... but we know better.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Kaufusi wasn't out, and that's a lame excuse regardless. Just because a team full of raw talent lost their captain and leader on offense and had a rough game for a single week is no grounds whatsoever to claim that they don't have many players who are capable of playing at the next level. To judge these kids when you have rarely, if ever, seen them play is unfair to them. Let's give these kids the benefit of the doubt, especially since their from a Utah County team with a good moral coach, not to mention they have the best school colors in history!
M
Mars
Mithrandir wrote:
It's my understanding that this kid is a longshot to qualify. I'd be really suprised if he doesn't end up going the JC route.

He was "High" on BYU and really wanted to be a Cougar, but Bronco pulled his schollie offer when the kid couldn't get his grades up...
C
craigoscarson
Schmoe wrote:
Kaufusi wasn't out, and that's a lame excuse regardless. Just because a team full of raw talent lost their captain and leader on offense and had a rough game for a single week is no grounds whatsoever to claim that they don't have many players who are capable of playing at the next level. To judge these kids when you have rarely, if ever, seen them play is unfair to them. Let's give these kids the benefit of the doubt, especially since their from a Utah County team with a good moral coach, not to mention they have the best school colors in history!


I never judged them, I said what I think a lot of people thought when PG struggled, is that they certainly have a lot of D1 players on their team to lose so badly to others with considerably much less talent (if you only take into account their D1 offers and stars).



When Lone Peak throttled them, I came onto this board (that night) and praised Lone Peak and questioned what was up with PG. (again, I have every reason to root for PG since it's in my blood, but I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if some of those kids were D1 tweeners at best) I guess we'll see with their college careers.
S
Schmoe
I guess that saying that they are only JUCO caliber or that they are only "tweeners" isn't judging them. Agree to disagree.
C
craigoscarson
Schmoe wrote:
I guess that saying that they are only JUCO caliber or that they are only "tweeners" isn't judging them. Agree to disagree.


saying that they "are" and wondering "if" they are "= two different things. I never named a single name.



There are several more division 1 recruits on PG, than Jake Heaps' skyline team that nearly beat Oaks Christian (top 3 nationally)... I guess we'll see if they all pan out at the college level. It's certainly worthy of wondering.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I thought PG should have been better, given all the players that school has. Either they are not as good as advertised, or that QB that went down is the real deal and made them all much better as a unit. We all know what bad QB play can do to a team (see Crowton era), but still, they should dominate all the same, unless the coaching at PG is subpar.
X
x-rugger
for pg it was inevitable that they struggled when their qb went down. so much of their offense was manufactured after the called play broke down. lloyd was so elusive in the back field that the d-line couldn't get too him, and the db's couldn't cover the receivers long enough.



with the timpview game, TV hadn't settled on a qb, so they were rotating two players, which created some inconsistency, and they were still one dropped pass away from winning that game.



i spite of that, if sefa qualifies, it will be a nice get for utah, though they rarely use a TE. if he has an impact it will be a DE.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.