Archived Topic

I've never been so disgusted with this team after a W

by KingCoug · 11/7/2015

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
San Jose St, people! San Jose St! I sure hope we were VERY rusty after what was essentially 2 weeks off. And wasn't that time for everyone to get healthy? We come into this game with most of our O-line out? These guys better be back next week because you can absolutely count Missouri as an L if we play like we did tonight. And even with the starters out, this team should have looked more poised and focused. Absolutely pathetic.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
seems a little extreme....

I'm just happy BYU got the "W".
S
Sammich
I'm just happy for a win at all because that backup o-line was pretty bad. The disappointing thing for me was the number of critical penalties---I feel like we should come out crisper on that sort of thing after a bye.
K
KingCoug
BroncoBot wrote:
seems a little extreme....

I'm just happy BYU got the "W".


Sure, 7-2 is better than 6-3.



But the concern is Missouri. If we don't have our starters back and play like we did tonight, we will lose.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
KingCoug wrote:
San Jose St, people! San Jose St! I sure hope we were VERY rusty after what was essentially 2 weeks off. And wasn't that time for everyone to get healthy? We come into this game with most of our O-line out? These guys better be back next week because you can absolutely count Missouri as an L if we play like we did tonight. And even with the starters out, this team should have looked more poised and focused. Absolutely pathetic.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I look forward to the day when you are the first to start a complimentary thread after a solid performance. Yes, Captain Obvious, it was ugly in almost every aspect imaginable. Yes, Captain Obvious, a repeat performance like this next week in Kansas City will more than likely result in a loss. I for one hope to see a much more polished performance all the way around and look forward to another exciting win. Go Cougars!
Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
The game was ugly, but I'm proud of our guys for pulling out the win. If only our O-line could have kept up what it was doing in the first two drives all game....I'm guessing that was more a result of the defense adjusting to the fact that we weren't going to try to run and pressure would be easy to get, but still. Those first two drives were awesome.



Like Bronco always says, this game hinged on a few plays. If Matthews catches that pass, it's a 14-point swing. If Mangum also hits Blackmon on 3rd down in the red zone, that's a seven point swing. If the center doesn't forget to snap the ball on our last drive, they don't get a last drive. If the outside guy plays assignment sound on 4th down, their QB doesn't run forever, setting up the questionable calls which set up the last touchdown. Better execution on 4 plays makes this game a 28 or 35-3 blowout. Maybe you chalk that up to essentially a double bye and rust, but I can't imagine the coaches just let that stuff slide. You have to keep contain, you have to wrap up when you tackle, you have to snap the ball on time, you have to be accurate on your short throws, and you can't hold, hit people out of bounds, or hit people after the whistle.



One thing I'm missing this year that I thought we'd get back is more assignment sound defense. We used to sniff out screens and misdirection very well, and have surer tacklers at LB and safety. It seems like the last two years guys are too focused on flying to the ball to figure out where it actually is sometimes, or doing a bad job wrapping up on tackles. I'd like to see that improve.



That said, we found a way to win a game with basically no O-line, and while our defense bent a lot, they did not break until the very, very (questionable) end. That's some kind of accomplishment. Now let's get that O-line back ASAP. If we can't take some pressure off Mangum with the run game and give him time to throw from the pocket, we're going to have a lot of 3-and-outs next week.
A
a1247
Has anyone heard why Tejan didn't play? It was said it was a "non injury". Crap! What Does that mean? Is it's an honor code? Team rule? Is this the only game he's going to miss? If Tejan doesn't play against Missouri it could get bad next weekend. Don't let Missouris record full you this is an SEC team not a MWC team. A 4-5 SEC team would probably win the MWC. BYU needs to get healthy fast! Byu was only at 75% and was just barley able to get by a mediocre San Jose State team then it's going to take a BYU team to be 100% to beat a mediocre SEC team.
K
KingCoug
a1247 wrote:
Don't let Missouris record full you this is an SEC team not a MWC team. A 4-5 SEC team would probably win the MWC. BYU needs to get healthy fast! Byu was only at 75% and was just barley able to get by a mediocre San Jose State team then it's going to take a BYU team to be 100% to beat a mediocre SEC team.


^

THIS!!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarfan87
Silver,lining...I don't think anyone will be satisfied with the game, and they will look much better next week. They also didn't give Missouri much to look at. I am guessing, or rather hoping, that BYU decided to play SJS without introducing the new wrinkles it worked on the last two weeks.
J
Jarhead
Temple almost lost to a 1-7 SMU team (SMU was driving with the ball, down by only 5 points at the very end of the game). These kinds of games happen. The game raises some concerns, sure, but personally I'm not disgusted.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
Wolverine wrote:
San Jose St, people! San Jose St! I sure hope we were VERY rusty after what was essentially 2 weeks off. And wasn't that time for everyone to get healthy? We come into this game with most of our O-line out? These guys better be back next week because you can absolutely count Missouri as an L if we play like we did tonight. And even with the starters out, this team should have looked more poised and focused. Absolutely pathetic.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I look forward to the day when you are the first to start a complimentary thread after a solid performance. Yes, Captain Obvious, it was ugly in almost every aspect imaginable. Yes, Captain Obvious, a repeat performance like this next week in Kansas City will more than likely result in a loss. I for one hope to see a much more polished performance all the way around and look forward to another exciting win. Go Cougars!


I know it's not the worst of name calling, but if you had left out the 'captain obvious' comments you would have had had a much better post. I agree with your other points.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
Jarhead
The defense only gave up 9 points and San Jose threw the book at us in terms of variation in play calls. Overall we made quite a few assignment sound plays.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
Jarhead wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
San Jose St, people! San Jose St! I sure hope we were VERY rusty after what was essentially 2 weeks off. And wasn't that time for everyone to get healthy? We come into this game with most of our O-line out? These guys better be back next week because you can absolutely count Missouri as an L if we play like we did tonight. And even with the starters out, this team should have looked more poised and focused. Absolutely pathetic.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I look forward to the day when you are the first to start a complimentary thread after a solid performance. Yes, Captain Obvious, it was ugly in almost every aspect imaginable. Yes, Captain Obvious, a repeat performance like this next week in Kansas City will more than likely result in a loss. I for one hope to see a much more polished performance all the way around and look forward to another exciting win. Go Cougars!


I know it's not the worst of name calling, but if you had left out the 'captain obvious' comments you would have had had a much better post. I agree with your other points.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

My apologies if you found my comments offensive. Not my intent. What I find "absolutely pathetic" is the incessant "chicken little" syndrome and "the sky is falling" rants and tantrums when anything short of perfection happens with this team, coaches, and program. Everyone has their own posting style, and I am fine with that. In all seriousness, I don't take offense to anything said here by anyone, and I do take everything said here with a grain of salt. This is a sports message forum where a bunch of passionate Cougar fans can carry on about BYU sports (thanks Hawk). I have no doubt if you put us all in the same room together for a few hours, we would all have a rip roaring good time. Go Cougars!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mtnradio
a1247 wrote:
Has anyone heard why Tejan didn't play? It was said it was a "non injury". Crap! What Does that mean? Is it's an honor code? Team rule? Is this the only game he's going to miss? If Tejan doesn't play against Missouri it could get bad next weekend. Don't let Missouris record full you this is an SEC team not a MWC team. A 4-5 SEC team would probably win the MWC. BYU needs to get healthy fast! Byu was only at 75% and was just barley able to get by a mediocre San Jose State team then it's going to take a BYU team to be 100% to beat a mediocre SEC team.



My biggest disagreement with this is that it almost seems star-struck in regards to SEC teams. I don't think a mediocre SEC team would win the MWC. The top of the MWC is better than the lower middle of the SEC. There is no doubt the SEC is deep where the MWC is not. But the top of the MWC (BSU and USU) are better than the mediocre SEC. And please understand that I COMPLETELY agree that SJSU is mediocre. BYU did NOT play well. If the Cougs play like this next week, they will lose.



On the upside, the scheduling department did their job right by getting the right team scheduled after a bye ... BYU, especially in the Bronco era, have traditionally struggled coming off a bye. So, now it's out of our system. Time to get serious about winning now.



King Coug and a1247 ... you make good points. But, hey! It was a W ... an UGLY W ... but a W. Let's enjoy it (we aren't the team that has to make changes and become better ... as fans we CAN enjoy it)! It isn't nearly as satisfying as a quality win ... but we should still enjoy it.
B
Brayden Green
mtnradio wrote:
Has anyone heard why Tejan didn't play? It was said it was a "non injury". Crap! What Does that mean? Is it's an honor code? Team rule? Is this the only game he's going to miss? If Tejan doesn't play against Missouri it could get bad next weekend. Don't let Missouris record full you this is an SEC team not a MWC team. A 4-5 SEC team would probably win the MWC. BYU needs to get healthy fast! Byu was only at 75% and was just barley able to get by a mediocre San Jose State team then it's going to take a BYU team to be 100% to beat a mediocre SEC team.



My biggest disagreement with this is that it almost seems star-struck in regards to SEC teams. I don't think a mediocre SEC team would win the MWC. The top of the MWC is better than the lower middle of the SEC. There is no doubt the SEC is deep where the MWC is not. But the top of the MWC (BSU and USU) are better than the mediocre SEC. And please understand that I COMPLETELY agree that SJSU is mediocre. BYU did NOT play well. If the Cougs play like this next week, they will lose.



On the upside, the scheduling department did their job right by getting the right team scheduled after a bye ... BYU, especially in the Bronco era, have traditionally struggled coming off a bye. So, now it's out of our system. Time to get serious about winning now.



King Coug and a1247 ... you make good points. But, hey! It was a W ... an UGLY W ... but a W. Let's enjoy it (we aren't the team that has to make changes and become better ... as fans we CAN enjoy it)! It isn't nearly as satisfying as a quality win ... but we should still enjoy it.


Very good post. Spot on! There is room to improve and I hope they do it. BSU can beat any team in the SEC, but USU is not very good. There is room for improvement. A 4 loss season with the way the season is shaping out would be disappointing. The schedule is not murderers row as anticipated.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars


1- I was not very happy with how the team played while trying to convince voters that they are a Top 25 team. The OL was bad, which made it difficult to run on one of the nation's worst run defenses, but the penalties (on both sides of the ball) and the special teams were killing me as well. We missed Koroma, but other problems and weaknesses were also evident.



2- I'm happy we won. Stuffing the 2-pt conversion attempt ended things on at least 1 positive note. I was much more disgusted the last time BYU went to San Jose State, and lost.



3- It doesn't matter if we won by 40 points this week when it comes to next week; We could still easily lose the next game in that case. And it doesn't matter if we won by 1 point against SJSU- We can still travel to Missouri and win by 14. Fix the internal discipline (Koroma, Houk), come in at fuller health (Algie, Hine, Burt, Mangum), continue to expand the TE position, put in some better blitz-counter packages (screens), and PLAY BALL!



Go Cougars :evil:
A
a1247
mtnradio wrote:
Has anyone heard why Tejan didn't play? It was said it was a "non injury". Crap! What Does that mean? Is it's an honor code? Team rule? Is this the only game he's going to miss? If Tejan doesn't play against Missouri it could get bad next weekend. Don't let Missouris record full you this is an SEC team not a MWC team. A 4-5 SEC team would probably win the MWC. BYU needs to get healthy fast! Byu was only at 75% and was just barley able to get by a mediocre San Jose State team then it's going to take a BYU team to be 100% to beat a mediocre SEC team.



My biggest disagreement with this is that it almost seems star-struck in regards to SEC teams. I don't think a mediocre SEC team would win the MWC. The top of the MWC is better than the lower middle of the SEC. There is no doubt the SEC is deep where the MWC is not. But the top of the MWC (BSU and USU) are better than the mediocre SEC. And please understand that I COMPLETELY agree that SJSU is mediocre. BYU did NOT play well. If the Cougs play like this next week, they will lose.



On the upside, the scheduling department did their job right by getting the right team scheduled after a bye ... BYU, especially in the Bronco era, have traditionally struggled coming off a bye. So, now it's out of our system. Time to get serious about winning now.



King Coug and a1247 ... you make good points. But, hey! It was a W ... an UGLY W ... but a W. Let's enjoy it (we aren't the team that has to make changes and become better ... as fans we CAN enjoy it)! It isn't nearly as satisfying as a quality win ... but we should still enjoy it.


Ya I might be a little star struck. The SEC is a good conference and unless your name is LSU or Alabama you are going to have years where your record doesn't show how much talent you have on the team in that conference. I think that's were Missouri is at this year. Loads of talent just not performing up to par. I do think byu can win but I also believe it will take the team, especially the oline to be close to 100%. The game last night proved that.



The sky's not falling, but games like last night do create concern.



Also I personally am not disgusted with the team. Now if the oline was healthy and they struggled like that then yes I might be a pinch disgusted. But anytime your playing 2nd and 3rd string players you are going to struggle against most teams.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Screamineagle
A tight end caught a pass we won and I probably got killed in the prediction game.2 out of 3 is ok I will take it.
B
BoiseBYU
Today top 10 FL won 9-7 against Vandy. Vandy! Never scored a TD and kicked the winning FG at the end of the game. Temple got a scare with SMU. I try to remember that these athletes are college kids. They're aren't robots. They play well and they play not so wel. They get in trouble and they get injured. They comit stupid penalties. We were fortunate to have won and we learned the important need to build that OLine deeper and deeper. That ain't happening over night. Last night's game is a win, an ugly win but I like it better I hunk than our loss to UCLA where I thought we played much better



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Just reading this thread reminded me of what I wrote six weeks ago:



http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18782&p=215049&hilit=emotional+response#p215049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpiffCoug wrote:
You are an unhappy BYU fan. Still a fan, but nevertheless, you are an unhappy one. You get a more satisfying emotional response when BYU loses than when they win. So when they do win, in order to find that satisfaction, you are compelled to look for the negatives to feed what drives your fanhood of BYU.



I try to stay positive. I try to stay happy. I'd rather be a happy fan of a losing or bad team than an unhappy fan of any kind of team like you.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.