Archived Topic

Hypothetical QB situation

by hawkwing · 10/25/2015

Advertisement
G
Guest
Hypothetical, you have Taysom H, Tanner M, Beau H, Koy D, Travis W, Kendal T, Chuckie K, Kent M on roster. List them in depth chart order.
J
Jarhead
What about Koy D? He looked really sharp.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Jarhead wrote:
What about Koy D? He looked really sharp.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Added Koy to the list. I originally didn't want to do too many more QBs from BYU than the other teams, but I think we're all familiar enough with all the BYU QBs to rank them.
S
Screamineagle
Are we rating them injured or when healthy?
B
BYULV
I would rank them like this if all were healthy and not based on their potential:



1) Hill

2) Keaton

3) Mangum

4) Wilson

5) Hoge

6) Detmer



Idk those other guys



I might be a little bullish on Mangum over Wilson, but it seems like Wilson is just missing the "It" factor and is just a haircut away from losing any skills he has as a QB
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
1)Hill

2)Mangum

3)Keeton

4)Wilson

5)Kent Myers

6)Kendall T

7)Hoge

8 )Detmer



I haven't seen anything out of Keeton, even when healthy to make me think he's better or has been better than Mangum is now.



If I get to 4th string and Wilson, then my team is hurting and we deserve to lose.



Hill and Mangum are easily my top 2 on that list.
F
frdbtr
Ungoy wrote:
1)Hill

2)Mangum

3)Keeton

4)Wilson

5)Kent Myers

6)Kendall T

7)Hoge

8 )Detmer



I haven't seen anything out of Keeton, even when healthy to make me think he's better or has been better than Mangum is now.



If I get to 4th string and Wilson, then my team is hurting and we deserve to lose.



Hill and Mangum are easily my top 2 on that list.


Since I am unfamiliar with most of the guys on this list, I will just agree with this one since it is probably the way I would list my top 4. After that, I have no Idea who is better since Hoge and Detmer have no experience and I don't know who the other guys are.
S
scott715
Who is Keeton?
J
Jarhead
BYULV wrote:
I would rank them like this if all were healthy and not based on their potential:



1) Hill

2) Keaton

3) Mangum

4) Wilson

5) Hoge

6) Detmer



Idk those other guys



I might be a little bullish on Mangum over Wilson, but it seems like Wilson is just missing the "It" factor and is just a haircut away from losing any skills he has as a QB


I know we didn't see a lot of Koy yesterday, but I kind of like the idea of having him above Hoge. It seems like Koy Deemer can step in and run the Mangum offense well. The whole offensive system has to swap over to Hill Style when Hoge comes in.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
hawkwing wrote:
Hypothetical, you have Taysom H, Tanner M, Beau H, Koy D, Travis W, Kendal T, Chuckie K, Kent M on roster. List them in depth chart order.

If I were starting a new team and got to pick my quarterback and these were the choices, I would make selections in this order.



1. Tanner Mangum

2. Taysom Hill

3. Travis Wilson

4. Beau Hoge

5. Kent Meyers

6. Chuckie Keeton

7. Koy Detmer

8. Kenall Thompson
Advertisement
M
mtnradio
HIll ... Mangum.



Hill is the more athletic. What a talented beast.

Mangum has earned respect and shown great talent.



Each takes a very different offensive scheme. The O-line is giving Mangum more time than Hill got. I think that is because they can focus on pass blocking rather than pass-run blocking.



There is no question that at BYU it goes Hill, Mangum, Hoge, Detmer with Hoge being like Hill and Detmer being more like Mangum.



Wilson v Keeton. It is kind of like the argument of Hill v Mangum. Wilson is a passer, not a running QB. Keeton is a runner (and injured because of it).



So, does the question really turn on do you like a running QB or a passing QB?
K
KingCoug
A QB who is mostly a passing threat but can run if necessary is best. Something like 80/20. Too much running leads to injuries, as we saw with Taysom.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
Freshman Mangum seems to me to be way ahead of Freshman Hill. Based on what I've seen this year, I'd take Mangum over Hill, but either way it those two and then (space bar space bar space bar) everyone elese in no particular order.
H
HoosierCougar
Jarhead wrote:
I would rank them like this if all were healthy and not based on their potential:



1) Hill

2) Keaton

3) Mangum

4) Wilson

5) Hoge

6) Detmer



Idk those other guys



I might be a little bullish on Mangum over Wilson, but it seems like Wilson is just missing the "It" factor and is just a haircut away from losing any skills he has as a QB

I know we didn't see a lot of Koy yesterday, but I kind of like the idea of having him above Hoge. It seems like Koy Deemer can step in and run the Mangum offense well. The whole offensive system has to swap over to Hill Style when Hoge comes in.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I was only half-watching by the second half (I was only 2/3 watching in the first half) and haven't gone back to analyze anything, but I think that Hoge's second stint (after Detmer got in) showed a lot better pocket presence. He was delivering sharp, accurate passes, and only ran a few times. At least that is what I thought I saw. Maybe I'll go back and watch again... #BYEweekProblems
S
SpiffCoug
ABYUFAN wrote:
Freshman Mangum seems to me to be way ahead of Freshman Hill. Based on what I've seen this year, I'd take Mangum over Hill, but either way it those twon and (space bar space bar space bar) everyone elese in no particular order.

Freshman Mangum is ahead of every freshman not named Detmer to play quarterback at BYU.
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Here's mine.

1. Taysom Hill (when he's on, he is ON). Let's not forget half the Nebraska win is due credit).

2. Tanner Mangum (a freshman away from the game playing at this level is pretty unreal).

3. Travis Wilson and Chuckie Keeton tie. (Both good, and both great at times).

5. Beau Hoge (the future is bright in Provo, he is athletic and brings a dual option).

6. Koy Detmer (good all-around, needs more opportunity, but would shine if the time comes).

7. Kent (pretty good)

8. Kenall (also pretty good)

* i just don't know nearly as much as I should about these last two.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.