Archived Topic

ESPN coverage

by bplewe · 10/17/2015

Advertisement
B
bplewe
Is it just me, or does anyone else think we should be treated better on TV during home games? I know we get the extra conference promo spot, but why no big "BYU on ESPN" logo intro that the conferences get? Stauffer was good and BYU-savvy (loved the comments on the retro draw plays), but the ECU crew were clearly AAC homers. Seems like a couple years ago we were getting repeat crews who knew the team well. Maybe ESPN just tells Holmoe "be happy we televise you at all."



And dont even get me started on the AAC officials . . .



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
For what its worth I'm happy with the coverage. I like neutral coerage, and I think that we get enough exposure with our school commercials
R
redneckjedi
I agree with ABYUFAN, I think it's been great. One interesting side effect is that the commentators have learned a lot more about what a mission actually is, when they happen, what they're like, etc. They even commented about Covey leaving on a mission after this season during the Utah-ASU game. We may be looking at ESPN as a football recruiting tool, but in the end the football program's purpose is to be missionary tool, and if we can get positive publicity about the Church even when we're not playing on a nationwide ESPN audience, the deal is doing what it is supposed to be doing.



I honestly haven't problems with the officiating, either. I thought they missed a penalty against Cincy when the safety came over and hit Houk in the endzone leading with his helmet, and the personal foul on Kurtz looked ticky-tack to me, but they called a ton of PI penalties in our favor, and even called some holds on Cincy despite the fact that we were in the backfield all night anyway. Most calls I was angry with proved to be the correct call once I saw the replay.
C
Cougs_Rule
bplewe wrote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think we should be treated better on TV during home games? I know we get the extra conference promo spot, but why no big "BYU on ESPN" logo intro that the conferences get? Stauffer was good and BYU-savvy (loved the comments on the retro draw plays), but the ECU crew were clearly AAC homers. Seems like a couple years ago we were getting repeat crews who knew the team well. Maybe ESPN just tells Holmoe "be happy we televise you at all."



And dont even get me started on the AAC officials . . .



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think its just you. :-)

Seriously, as it is said, "Pigs get fat and Hogs get slaughtered." Cant be too greedy here. Besides, not sure i would want ESPN to be homer-ish. It would take away credibility that BYU is trying to earn. Consider the past (MWC's The MTN) as a comparative and we are in fat city!

As for the officials--ugh. give me a break. the only ones worse were the Big10 who watched our WRs get raped play after play vs Michigan.

I still think that once Bronco did some serious talking to the refs after that totally ticky tack, game-changing call/hold on 3rd down and goal, that crew straightened themselves out, or at least evened things out. Truth is, Cincy DBs were holding regularly and got called only rarely.
F
Fido
I agree that the coverage has been nice and I have no issues with it. ESPN could choose to make a bigger deal about carrying BYU but I don't think they view it that way. BYU provides them with content for a slot but I don't think they are looking to pump up BYU as an institution as part of their coverage.
Advertisement
B
BlueK
bplewe wrote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think we should be treated better on TV during home games? I know we get the extra conference promo spot, but why no big "BYU on ESPN" logo intro that the conferences get? Stauffer was good and BYU-savvy (loved the comments on the retro draw plays), but the ECU crew were clearly AAC homers. Seems like a couple years ago we were getting repeat crews who knew the team well. Maybe ESPN just tells Holmoe "be happy we televise you at all."



And dont even get me started on the AAC officials . . .



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think probably in large part for the convenience of their people, ESPN tends to assign crews based on channel and timeslot rather than team. And since most of the major conferences get the same timeslot every or mostly every Saturday, they tend to get the same crews. For example, the SEC almost always gets the primetime slot on ESPN Saturday night. On the other hand, BYU's games are all over the planet in terms of times and which ESPN channel we get, so the crew is going to be different until we end up in the same time and channel again. BYU's TV flexibility as an independent is exactly one of the reasons they are attractive to ESPN.



For basketball it's a lot more predictable because the WCC gets the same late gametime for ESPN/2 or a slightly earlier time on ESPNU every Thursday or Saturday. And the ESPN/ESPN2 team is usually the same for all of those games, with the same "B" team on most of the ESPNU games. It changes up a little bit here and there, but not that much. By the end of the season the same ESPN guys will have seen BYU play probably 6 or 7 times.
S
snoscythe
As far as I've heard, ESPN is paying us for content....we are not paying them for promotion.
B
BlueK
snoscythe wrote:
As far as I've heard, ESPN is paying us for content....we are not paying them for promotion.


Good point. BYU I think is probably pretty happy with how much they are on ESPN, especially considering they left the MWC with the TV situation there being a major factor in that decision. They had no problem signing the deal knowing it was going to be on different ESPN channels at at different times.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.