Archived Topic

Wagner Preview

by scott715 · 10/17/2015

Advertisement
S
scott715
Why is there no previous preview? Because it is Wagner. This is already a win, we are 6-2 bowl eligible. Rest anybody who's hurt and with a bye afterwards, we should be in great shape for SJSU.



Hoge will QB the whole game. Maybe play another QB. Too bad Burt is hurt, he needs to play in this game.
F
Fido
A QB tandem of Hodge and Detmer? 2 true freshmen who were in high school last year--and Detmer is a walk on! That would be awesome. I'm not sure what is going on with McCoy Hill. He played against Savannah State last year but had an ankle injury earlier this year and I've only seen him sending signals in from the sideline. I'm not sure if he is redshirting this year or what.
F
Fido
How about a little did you know about Wagner.....

- They posted a 7-4 record (5-1 in conference) and tied for 1st place in conference

- They returned a senior QB and RB for their offense

- They have a 1st year HC in Jason Houghtaling

- Their home stadium has a capacity of 3,300

- Wagner has an enrollment of 2,000

- They have a DIII football national championship (1987)

- They have been FCS since 1992

- The Wagner football program began 5 years after BYU's program did (in 1927) and Wagner has an all time winning % of 0.538



And finally...

- No shocker but yes, they will be very overmatched next Saturday.
B
BroncoBot
scott715 wrote:

Hoge will QB the whole game. Maybe play another QB. Too bad Burt is hurt, he needs to play in this game.

Hoge - speculation or fact? Just wondering



Burt, really hoping he's fine and can get some playing time.
S
SpiffCoug
If Tanner plays, I hope it's no more than one quarter.
Advertisement
S
scott715
NO need for Tanner, rest the hamstring at least 3 weeks.
B
BroncoBot
scott715 wrote:
NO need for Tanner, rest the hamstring at least 3 weeks.

I totally agree, but is that what BYU coaches are planning? I would assume so, but haven't seen it from the horses mouth. (whatever that means)
S
SpiffCoug
If Tanner feels like he did last night, I can't see him wanting to sit out. If he wants to play. Let him play. But don't play him much. He should be able to play the first quarter, throw two touchdowns, lead three TD drives and leave the game up 21-0.
S
Screamineagle
SpiffCoug wrote:
If Tanner feels like he did last night, I can't see him wanting to sit out. If he wants to play. Let him play. But don't play him much. He should be able to play the first quarter, throw two touchdowns, lead three TD drives and leave the game up 21-0.

Agree
T
tmoney35
Every rep helps for a freshman QB. It would seem the risk of aggravating the hammy is low. I think every starter should at least play 1 quarter. Two weeks off is getting on the longer side for rust to seep in a bit.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Can the hammy heal if he plays?
H
HoosierCougar
I agree... let Tanner play 3 series (two if he throws for TDs on both the first two) and then rest him. Let Hoge spend the rest of the game getting game speed reps.



Goal is that with 7 minutes to play in the 2nd quarter we have comfortable lead and no starters see the field again.



REST REST REST!

HEAL HEAL HEAL!
A
ABYUFAN
Because I married a music major, I pronounce them as "Vogner" (like the composer)

I too would like to see Mangum sit, I'd like McCoy Hill to play a lot so that Detmer can keep his redshirt.

And our District picked a good week to have a Camperall so I’ll have to DVR this game to watch later. It’ll be like two bye weeks in a row for me.
B
byufan4ever
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3079992-155/byu-football-some-injured-cougs-wont


Several starters will sit out on Saturday when the BYU football team takes on winless Wagner at LaVell Edwards Stadium, but nicked-up freshman quarterback Tanner Mangum won't be one of them.


"I think that we will all do the very best we can to play the best game possible, and the same would be [said] for our quarterback," Mendenhall said, after calling Mangum 70-80 percent healthy in last Friday's 38-24 win over Cincinnati. "We will make the decisions as the game goes, based on how it goes, but I don't intend to give him a play off, or a day off, or a week off. I intend to help him get better, if possible. And then we will just manage the game as we see it."


He said the list of injured players is "pretty long," but didn't divulge names.



Three starting offensive linemen — Ului Lapuaho, Ryker Mathews and Kyle Johnson — aren't even listed on this week's projected depth chart, and likely won't play. Lapuaho missed the UC game with a high ankle sprain. Fullback Toloa'i Ho Ching also didn't play, while Mathews and Johnson were injured during the game. Punt returner Garrett Juergens, running back Riley Burt and tight end Bryan Sampson also left the game with injuries.



Running back Adam Hine is still out with an ankle injury but should be back for the San Jose State game on Nov. 6
S
scott715
G Juergens is out for the season and R Sandlin too.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Apparently LE Stadium will be the biggest venue Wagner has ever played in...





"The two names that jump out obviously are Rice and BYU. Those are both Division 1-A games (Football Bowl Subdivision)."



"We play those games because it enhances our student-athletes' experience," Houghtaling added. "If you talk to our kids, they love playing against top-level competition at top-level facilities. They get a chance to jump on a charter plane and it's just, all in all, a great experience for everyone involved in the program from alumni to the Touchdown Club members who make the trip with us. It's just a great thing for Wagner College and Wagner College football."



Wagner will fly to Provo, UT for an encounter at BYU on October 24, a program that now competes as an independent and one that has appeared in 33 bowl games. In 2014, BYU, which boasts 18 Top 25 finishes all time, went 8-5 following a 55-48 shootout loss to Memphis in the Miami Beach Bowl.



The Wagner-BYU tilt will be held at 63,470-seat Lavell Edwards Stadium, which will be the largest venue that the Seahawks have ever played in as the previous largest stadium that Wagner competed in was the 50,00-seat Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY.



http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?168284-Northeast-Wagner-Football-Announces-2015-Schedule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.